Camping Gaz C206

8:39 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I noticed on another thread that some were inquiring about appliances for the C206 canister. My question is where in North America can I find these canisters. I saw them once at Wholesale Sports last year but a week later they were all gone (approx. 100)

I still have the old stove but no fuel for it. Thanks.

9:14 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

The C200, C100, and C206 puncture-type canisters are no longer manufactured by Camping Gaz (a French subsidiary of Coleman), though you can still find some manufactured in Slovenia and SE Asia. Redwood Trading Post (Redwood City, CA, about midway down the San Francisco Peninsula) had a small supply the last time I was there a couple months ago, but did not expect to get any more. The best thing to do is get one of the multitude of stoves that fits the industry-standard threaded coupler - MSR, SnowPeak, Primus, Optimus, JetBoil, Vaude, Markill, and Brunton are among the quality manufacturers of such stoves, all of which have their fans here on Trailspace.

Now, if you want, I still have 4 or 5 of the Gaz "200" stove tops and a Gaz "100". If you stumble on a source of canisters, the tops might be good for spare parts.

10:53 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Why people still cling to those old canisters is beyond me. There must be at least 50 different small stoves manufactured today. Soto is a relative newcomer and makes a couple of different stoves. I saw a Soto at REI I really liked. I have a Primus Micron, which works just fine, but I like the pot holders on the Soto better. MSR just came out with a new version of the Pocket Rocket which Hikin Jim is testing.

The new canisters can also be used on some multi-fuel stoves and gas-powered lanterns.

7:56 p.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Oh come on, Tom, many of us hesitate to discard old boots, a favorite parka, and in some cases an old stove.  We associate memories with these artifacts, it is just being human.  And some of us are just cheap!  Personally I have gone through quite a number of stoves, including a Camping Gaz S200 Garcia I owned back in the day, always looking for the best technology for my purposes.  A lot of fond memories with most stoves, but some I’d rather forget.  I understand why we cling to old gear.  Such emotional attachments are secondary to me, however, when comes to performance.

Ed

1:54 a.m. on January 5, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Ed, I was thinking about that just the other day while going through my 8 track collection and watching a movie on my VCR.

Seriously though, I actually do have a VCR and a couple of cassettes somewhere. No 8 tracks-long gone.

I too have old gear from the 80's. My MacPac bag is from around '86 and I would stack it up against any non-Goretex bag any day. I have a couple of old stoves too-SVEA 123 and MSR XGK. But, I also have a Coleman Xtreme from just a couple of years ago and the fuel cartridges for it are almost impossible to find. One of these days, it will be like the old Gaz stoves-useless.

For me, unlike stoves, clothes don't become obsolete due to technology changes. Newer clothes may be better under certain conditions, but people still wear wool and canvas up North in deep winter.

But, if you can't find parts for something or the technology changes so radically, why not change with it? Example, my little MP3 player is the size of a matchbox and holds about 1000 songs, others the same size hold far more than that. Imagine how many cassette tapes it would take to have a 1000 songs. Compare a thumb drive to a stack of the old floppy disks-no way the old technology is better or even close.

My point is,with some things, you just have to accept that some technologies have a short shelf life and as soon as something better comes along, they are history and usually for good reason.

12:32 p.m. on January 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Nothing better than listening to Nazareth on an 8 Track.

3:54 p.m. on January 5, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Many years ago, a friend of mine had a tape deck that could be used to make 8 tracks. Making your own was tedious. No wonder they didn't last that long. We used to drive up to the North Shore listening to Bob Marley and Toots and the Maytals.

2:05 p.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I have a CampinGaz lantern that I continue to use for sentimental reasons, although not much for backpacking trips.

It was a piece of gear that my wife & I bought together soon after we were married.

Mine uses the CV 270 & 470 canisters that are still available, but seem to dissapear quickly after a shipment arrives in store.

I also have a reel to reel tape deck and a record player stored away.

I agree though, when it's time to move on....move on.

I love my Ipod.

10:56 a.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

alan said:

Your remarks had me checking out your profile, wondering what kind of phreak you were:)  Speaking of old gear; Those are some sweet Class Five packs in your image library. 

Ed 

11:05 a.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Tom D said:

..I have a couple of old stoves too-SVEA 123...

I was about to reference the 123 in my initial post here, but after checking their web site I realized it is still in production!

I have a MSR Firefly, a white gas stove that was produced for a short time in the early 1980s.  I love it, the Firefly is my go-to WG stove when canister stoves won't do.  When I realized they pulled it from the market, I bought out all of the maintenance kits I could find.  Its destined to be an antique, but I will have the parts to keep it going.

Ed

2:11 p.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

It looks like the PowerMax canisters for my Coleman Xtreme are now unavailable, except for a few I saw on the net at inflated prices ($20 on one site), so it appears to be another orphan. Too bad, that stove worked well in cold weather.

12:12 a.m. on January 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have an MSR Whisperlite that I like to use, but thought I might be able to get some use out of this other stove. Nostalgia and all that!

10:52 a.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

whomeworry said:

alan said:

Your remarks had me checking out your profile, wondering what kind of phreak you were:)  Speaking of old gear; Those are some sweet Class Five packs in your image library. 

Ed 

Ed, I actually never owned an 8-track.  When I was a kid a neighbor had a portable 8 track player and the only tapes I remember him having were Nazareth - Hair of the Dog, Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits and Boston's first album.  He must have had more than that but those are the only ones I recall.  Needless to say we listened to this crap over and over and over again.  In any event, the only one of these I could stand to listen to today is Steve Miller.

12:36 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

alan said:

..I remember him having were Nazareth - Hair of the Dog, Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits and Boston's first album... .. In any event, the only one of these I could stand to listen to today is Steve Miller.

I agree.  So you're a space cowboy, and you know where it's at, yea?  ;)

Ed

5:43 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

i have heard that big five sporting goods carries both the puncture type and the threaded type of camping gaz canisters.

the other good news is that steve miller has 2 new cds out. seems he is recording again because the royalty checks are no longer paying all of his bills. bad new is they won't be available on 8 track.

1:43 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
2:33 p.m. on February 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
364 forum posts

I was just at the local Big 5, and they have three of the CV206  190g canisters languishing on the shelf waiting for someone to buy them.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply