Hilleberg Soulo... Set-up confusion?

11:22 a.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I was wondering if some of the Soulo users out there have ever seen the Hilleberg set-up demo video for this model?

Now before we watch the video as the printed instructions state the last pole to get set is the shorter pole that forms the vestibule(marked red.) 

Ok simple enough, right?

Well if you watch the set-up video from Hille this is the 1st pole to get set which is total opposite of what the printed instructions state.

Here is the video(narrated by Petra Hilleberg:)

Now this makes more sense to me.

There seems to be a bit less stress on the clips when trying to attach the poles, and there is no longer the ridge in the umbrella fly that is created by the shorter pole being stacked on top of the other 2 longer poles.

(I also worry that the extra stress may cause a premature failure later down the road.) 

Now, I am wondering, did Hilleberg make a mistake on the printed instructions?

I've contacted the Redmond location(email to Petra) in regards to this matter as well and am currently waiting on a response.

12:15 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts
Re: Hilleberg Soulo... Set-up confusion(mistake in printed instructions?)

Rick PM'd me about this revelation and I had mentioned to him there was always a wobble (set up in the house on a flat floor) with my tent in regards to the center crossing pole not touching the ground on either side.  Plus, there was the "hump" which was formed in the vent fly by the center crossing pole due to it being above the two long poles. So I set it up the way Rick had stated and it doesn't have the wobble issue or the vent fly hump.  Two thumbs up!

12:17 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good deal. Glad it helped take care of the wobble issue for ya.

Thanks for chiming in rob. Much appreciated.

12:54 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Everyone(myself included) that I have seen use the Soulo has set the tent up with the shorter(red/vesti) pole last including the reviews on youtube. 

If you know anyone out there that has a Soulo if ya don't mind please forward this post to them or at least give them a heads up on this matter. 

2:09 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Hey Rick, I would call or email Petra and inquire about it, just mentioning the discrepancy and issues resolved by pitching it as shown in the video. I am pretty sure she would welcome the comments. 

I have called the US customer service number twice; both times she answered and was amazingly helpful and personable. 

2:13 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I sent her an email. I have been chatting with her back and forth in regards to the Soulo among other things.

She is pretty good about getting back in touch so I will just give her a lil bit of time(30 seconds or so... j/k) and if I don't get a response I will give her a call. 

11:30 a.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Now, I am wondering, did Hilleberg make a mistake on the printed instructions?

it happens

10:04 a.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

So, what was the outcome of communication with Hilleberg about it?

12:27 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I received a response from Petra. She thanked me as well as stated that it was an error that they didn't quite catch.

However, setting the tent up either way is fine. 

Hmmmm...

I then sent an email stating that there is a difference when the tent is set up with the spanner pole on top in regards to stability(wobbly tent as Rob mentioned) because technically the bottom of the poles are loosing some length because they are being raised from being stacked on top of the 2 other poles as opposed to them being underneath.

I never received a response on that one as of yet. 

Although I received the "fine either way" response I think from experience of doing it both ways that there is a fairly noticeable difference. 

When the shorter pole is on the bottom it seems as though the top clips are easier to attach which makes me wonder how much extra unnecessary stress is being generated on the tent, fabric, stitching, clips, so on and so forth. 

Honestly, I don't know what to make of the response. 

On one side its and error they didn't quite catch and on the other hand its fine either way...(kinda contradicts one another.)

2:44 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I think it might mean the error was their being a discrepancy in the two instructions. I am sure underneath is probably better, but imagine it isn't notably detrimental issue, thus her response that it is fine either way. 

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply