Softshell Jacket Now Reeks of Potpourri

11:33 a.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

My wife had an absent minded moment, and plugged up a Glade air freshener underneath our coat rack, with my Softshell literally draped over it. I did not discover this for a couple days, and now have a jacket that smells so strongly of the stuff that I can't wear it without getting a headache. 

I have washed it twice with techwash, and used baking soda as well the second time. It STILL smells of the perfume, though not nearly as badly.

Does anyone have any great ideas to completely get rid of the offending fragrance?

11:43 a.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

soo pwurdii you smell

12:39 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Best smelling backpacker in Tennessee!

All I can say is to let it air out the best you can. The smell will come out in time. 

2:07 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

The problem is that I really can't ear it until the smell is gone, as it really does give me headache. I would rather not have it just sitting around for months without being able to wear it. 

3:20 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I would guess that you could take it in and have it dry cleaned, though this may not be an option because of the cost and or the type of material the soft shell is made of. When I get a really stinky tent I always set it up for a week or two with 1-3 of the largest fans that will fit in it. I would set up a fan and stabilize the jacket (maybe on the back of a chair) in front of the fan (set on high) and leave it for a few days. I have never had that fail, though I've never had something have quite this kind of accidental odoriferous happening either.

One other idea. I've heard that Febreze works on couches, chairs, carpeting, drapes and the such that stink without leave any lasting odor. I have never used it so use at you own risk.

After trying what ever you try if there is any remaining smell I would get some fresh dry cedar and put it in a dresser drawer with a sufficant amount of the fresh dry cedar and that very well might take care of the problem.  Good luck.

3:28 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Thanks, I think the problem is that the synthetic fragrance might have bonded to the synthetic fabric :(

3:38 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

gonzan said:

Thanks, I think the problem is that the synthetic fragrance might have bonded to the synthetic fabric :(

Might have, that's where the dry cleaning comes in.  They have all kinds of chemicals to get stains and smells out.  Just depends if it will damage the material that the soft shell is make of.

I do know that I've opened up some tents that I never thopugh would have been habitable evr again because of various smell's and a couple of weeks with the fan has mad the difference.

What kind of jacket is it if I may ask?

4:21 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I don't have it with me right now, but it is made by 511

7:25 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,099 forum posts

Have you thought of useing Mcnett's Mirazyme. Its a deoderiser,Follow the directions on the bottle or package . It should get then perfume out. It's made for outdoor gear.

8:09 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Try washing in 409.  409 is one of the strongest house hold degreasers you can purchase.  Stir intermittently.  Let pickle for a few days.  This will remove the oily residues of the air freshener.  If it still smells, try pickling in distilled water with several pounds of activated charcoal (available from you local aquarium supplies store).  Stir intermittently.  This should get what the 409 leaves behind.

Ed

8:11 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,363 reviewer rep
631 forum posts

Chase a skunk around? Might get a new appreciation for the potpourri smell. Other than a smart-a** answer I am of little help! Good luck Gonz.

7:18 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Have you tried putting it in the dryer?  Those plug-in things use heat to disperse the scent. The heat may cause the stink to evaporate again. I would use low heat at first. Hanging in the sun may also help. I doubt it bonded with the fabric because the scent molecules have to go up your nose in order for you to smell them. It's probably just coated with them.

On the other hand are you sure this wasn't deliberate?  How badly do you reek when you come back from a weekend of hiking? 

9:29 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

On the other hand are you sure this wasn't deliberate?  How badly do you reek when you come back from a weekend of hiking? 

Hahaha! This jacket is one that I rarely backpack in, and is always clean :)

I will give some of the suggestions a try, thanks for the advice guys! 

11:52 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

gonzan said:

The problem is that I really can't ear it until the smell is gone, as it really does give me headache. I would rather not have it just sitting around for months without being able to wear it. 

Soak it for a few does in water with a light amount of baking soda and pine-sol.

Than wash in a hot load with lots of detergent and drip/hang/sun dry.

You might be in luck.

9:42 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

My advice: hang it in direct sunshine.  Some of those aromatic synthetics are broken down by UV light.  Then, a trip to the dryer and place in a garbage bag filled with about 2 lbs of activated charcoal while it's still hot and stinky. Place it in a warm spot for a day or two. 

9:24 a.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
51 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

You might try using Dry Cleaners Secret sheets with it in the dryer on lowest temperature setting, then air it out in the sun. The dry Cleaners secret won't smell as much as dry cleaning. Do not use Dryel it may leave a residue of white which will look like lint on black or dark colors. A whole box of Dry Cleaners secret is about $10. and is usually in the clothes soap aisle at the supermarket. Also makes a great wool sweaters, etc. refresher between cleanings, or can be used as a wipe to remove deodorant or oops spots before putting in the low heat dryer cycle. As always, make sure you empty the lint trap first for safety!

11:09 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
512 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Try some real skunk scent on it. You'll never smell that darn potpourri again!

Try several applications of baking soda. Brush off.

Try soaking it in milk. Wash off, natch'.

There are concentrated scent removing liquids that are very potent. GOOGLE for them.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply