TNF lifetime warranty problem. Anyone?

1:34 p.m. on August 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I just found out someone at "outdoor.org - gear talk" has a problem with TNF warranty. I curious if anyone has any good or bad to say about their warranty service.

My own experience is posted below:
"I sent my bivy sac back to TNF because the polyurathane coating become sticky. They called back and says it isn't under warranty. They even says that "Life Time Warranty" doesn't mean MY Lifetime but the Life time of the product (like I'm really stupid). The rest of the sac is in really good condition, as far as I'm concern the PU coating isn't consistant with the "lifetime" of the rest of the bivy sac components.

I still have at least 30years of "Outdoor life" left in me. And TNF treats me like I'm stupid. Don't think I'll buy their stuff again!!

I talked to the staffs at my local REI and they couldn't even get the local TNF rep to return the call."

4:50 p.m. on August 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Down on North Face

Haven't had any warranty problems with TNF (yet), but I believe they are targeting the mainstream market and are no longer a leader in high-end equipment. Examples? Their product line is ALWAYS changing; most items are gimmicky and only last a year or two. Their current lightweight pack, the Prophet 65 was pulled after six months. And remember those goofy right-angled tents? Their packs in general pretty much suck, their down bags are a joke compared to W-M, F-Friends, Marmot, etc. Thier tents are nothing special (I do like my Canyonlands tent and Badlands pack...) They're always coming out with new pastel colors for thier Gore-Tex parkas, which tells me they're targeting casual, fashion-conscious "hikers." Yes, I own a Kinchatna parka (should've saved $300 and bought a non-breathable shell instead) and a Nupste jacket (a quality item - has a higher loft down than thier bags), but after seeing all those crack-dealers in mid-town Manhatten now sporting TNF-logoed outerwear it almost makes me ashamed to seen using their products. TNF just ain't what they used to be. Oh, and there's my old Cat's Meow bag...oh, and my old Denali vest...and my..............

Quote:

I just found out someone at "outdoor.org - gear talk" has a problem with TNF warranty. I curious if anyone has any good or bad to say about their warranty service.

"I sent my bivy sac back to TNF because the polyurathane coating become sticky. They called back and says it isn't under warranty. They even says that "Life Time Warranty" doesn't mean MY Lifetime but the Life time of the product (like I'm really stupid). The rest of the sac is in really good condition, as far as I'm concern the PU coating isn't consistant with the "lifetime" of the rest of the bivy sac components.

I still have at least 30years of "Outdoor life" left in me. And TNF treats me like I'm stupid. Don't think I'll buy their stuff again!!

I talked to the staffs at my local REI and they couldn't even get the local TNF rep to return the call."

2:03 a.m. on August 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Ben, Benjamin Pink

Yeah, by the way, be warry of TNF products from their outlet stores. If you buy from the outlet, their "lifetime" warranty is out the window. You would laugh at the outlet store in Berkeley, it is like a giant fashion outlet for young college students. You can get some great deals, but all their product quality has gone down dramatically and it is all made in China. Way to go TNF!
-Ben

10:37 p.m. on August 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: TNF warranty problem. Anyone? ** everyone!!**

This is not the first time I've seen posts in forums about TNF's lefeless warranty. The only TNF item I own is a Tadpole tent I bought off a biker years ago, it's a classic example of how good their stuff used to be. Probably the most windproof small tent I have ever used, tough as nails, light and functional for the soloist. Now that a clothing manufacturer owns TNF, they are being used as vehicle for cheap crap-ola. You can rest assured thay don't give a rat's ass about the real outdoor market anymore. And they aren't interested in any warranty service for their older stuff either... I think if I had a problem with my Tadpole I would just find someone who makes tents in his garage or something and pay him to fix it. I really don't think TNF is capable of servicing the old lines anymore, that's why they are blowing it off as "not under warranty".

4:11 p.m. on August 21, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Steve

I agree with all of the posts below. About 3? yrs ago, TNF was "taken public" with an IPO and sold on the Nasdaq stock exchange (I think the symbol was TNFI). That was a short lived venture and the company was bought? or changed back to a privately held co after a year or so on the market.
What they tried to do was to turn the company into the next Eddie Bauer or GAP which didn't work very well as they abandoned the market which made them what they were. Not sure what their plan was, because how many people can spend $400 on a gore tex jacket to wear to school? There's not much market growth in being an outdoor gear vendor since it's soo pricey.
I have a TNF Blue Kazoo bag and it is decent, but the temp rating is a joke IMO. I also have an older Climb Very Lite GT jacket and it has held up ok. I will probably never buy another TNF product though because of constant quality problems that keep turning up.
Stick with a true outdoor brands like Marmot, MH, etc and leave TNF for the crack dealers. The crack dealer remark was funny, but I noticed the same thing when I visited NYC about 3 yrs ago.
All you have to do is look on any online gear site and they're covered up with TNF products at 25-50% discounted prices. Note that you don't see nearly as much gear from Marmot, MH, etc.

4:55 p.m. on August 25, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Eugene Colucci

No. My experiences were just the opposite. The most prominent example involved a purchase of a TNF Mountain Light parka about 8 or 9 years ago that I tore hiking during the first week of ownership. The fault was totally mine, and I sent the parka to TNF fully expecting to pay between $50.00 and $100.00 for the repair. In approximately 2 to 4 weeks I received a postcard informing me I would receive a new parka as a replacement. Thinking it an error, I decided to wait to see what happened with my returned item. In roughly another 2 weeks I actually received a new parka along with a written apology for the gear failure. I was very impressed with the service.

Having written the foregoing however, I have to add that I have not purchased any new TNF gear in several years since I noted the declining quality of their products -- across the board. With the decline in quality, I assumed it only would be a matter of time before their service also dropped so I am not at all surprised to read the negative commentary posted by others at various Internet boards. TNF was a supplier of first-rate equipment for decades, but I would not buy a product from them now. I consider it a loss to the outdoor community (especially since I own a good deal of their older, much higher quality equipment), but it probably is due to their drop in quality that we gained Mountain Hardwear and other current producers of high-quality equipment. Although this suggestion probably comes too late to benefit you in your current situation, I suggest that in the future you look elsewhere for high-quality tents, storm clothing, or any other outdoor-related equipment.

Oh, and one other thing: TNF's lifetime warranty used to mean that TNF would warrant the product for as long as you owned it. That is, the company warranted the product for your lifetime, not the product's expected lifetime. I agree: the change in warranty interpretation is bullshit and a clear indication TNF no longer deserves the patronage of anyone seeking high-quality outdoor gear.

Quote:

11:36 p.m. on August 27, 2001 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts
Had just the opposite experience, but that was a few years ago..

I had an old Gore-tex rain jacket I got from my brother, probably about 15 years old. Parts of it were delaminating, so I took it to REI, they sent it in to TNF, and in a couple of weeks, I had a new Mountain Light parka! That completely sold me on TNF, but their stuff has gone WAY downhill the last year that I've seen... I would be reluctant to buy anything from them now.

1:15 a.m. on August 29, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Not me -- great service from TNF

I had a Westwind tent for over a decade. It got sticky and I had trouble opening it up after packing it away. The TNF folks at the outlet in Berkeley sent it in to the warranty place, and soon I have a gift certificate, good at any TNF store, for the original price of the tent, retail. This was after I had used the tent hard for over ten years. It wasn't even close to new. And yet I was able to buy a brand new TNF tent to replace it, and that one came with a lifetime warrenty. And I love the new tent (the slickrock) as well as my Himalayan Hotel. I have had only top notch experiences with TNF.

My conclusion: it depends on whom you speak to. If you don't like the first answer you get, wait a while and try someone else. Customer service is like this at most companies. Someone who has had a lousy day is less likely to help you out -- so find someone who has had a good day. Or make their day for them.

Good luck!

7:04 p.m. on August 29, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thank you :-)

Hi Susan, Your situation is very similar to my current problem with TNF. I may just take your advice and try again. Thanks.

1:03 p.m. on October 6, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

North Face Warranty/Quality follow up

I have two pieces of North Face equipment. Both bombed early, but have had years of satisfactory use since the repairs-
1) an arches tent on which the door ripped off and a tent peg broke (both kind of my fault). The factory did a great repair job on the door free of charge, however forgot to send me back a new peg. The invoice said "new peg", but there was nothing in the box.
2) a "goliath" sleeping bag on wich the bottom zipper slipped. I fixed it myself, couldn't be bothered to send it back and go without my bag.
I agree that the modern Morthface is targeting a casual audience who are being seduced by marketing. They are selling a "lifestyle image" rather than a product. While slick and functional, I question the durability of this brand. Much of it is made in indochina. From now on I buy bomber gear made in North America or spend $5.00 at the second hand store for something I can destroy. No middle ground.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply