fly needed..

12:49 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

I just picked up a mountain hardwear on CL today but it did not have a fly.  For $20, i decided to take the gamble on finding one.  So far, I am losing.  Anyone have any leads out there?

5:58 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Need to know the name of the tent.

9:18 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Even for if for some reason you are not sure what model the tent is we can probably get ya dialed in on that as well.

Oh btw, welcome to Trailspace jonathansc.

Happy hiking.

12:54 p.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

What MH product ?  Does your drink bottle need a fly,,,,, that would be so gross.

Seriously, we can help but more details are needed first.

7:00 a.m. on July 7, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Dang....I really thought I put that down. It's a Laser.

12:45 p.m. on July 7, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Wow, you might just have a task on your hand here.  I have searched and can not find much details about this tent and so far have not found a photo.

My suggestions,

- take photo of erected tent and post here

- measure tent and compare to other tents, particularly MH, find clsost match and maybe that tents fly will work

- call MH and see if lost in a back room they might have a fly for your model

- make one.

9:44 p.m. on July 7, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

yeah.  that's what i figured.  i already called MH and they don't have anything.  i might just have a bug screen at this point.

6:14 a.m. on July 8, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Many tents have the same basic designs. So finding a fly that fits might not be that hard. Post some pictures of the tent for us. If nothing else you could always use a tarp over it.

5:29 p.m. on July 8, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

dimensions are...

112" long

64" wide nearest the door

48" wide at the foot

48" high at the highest point

28" high at the shortest point

i'll post some pics in a little bit.

8:04 p.m. on July 8, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

8:10 p.m. on July 8, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

maybe the lightpath 3 fly would work?

9:07 p.m. on July 8, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This is a 2 person tent. A solid design that has come and gone many times. Unfortunately not pop right now with the front opening doors. But I might have the rainfly for it. I will try to set up the tent tommorrow and see if it will fit your specs. It has 2 zippers on the front and might fit the front end of your tent.

10:08 p.m. on July 8, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

sweet!  may i ask which tent is from?

8:08 a.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

It is the Glacier's Edge, Hiker. I've done a review and have pictures of it. I haven't used it for a year. The fly has never let me down. I'll set it up and see how far the vestibule is from the inner. If you don't want it thats cool. I'm just trying to see if something might work. 

8:25 a.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

beggars can't be choosers...let me know how it pans out.

8:31 a.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

but, from the two quick reviews that i just read along with some specs on another site, i'm not sure that it is going to quite cover what i have.

9:13 a.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I've been doing a little of this mis match stuff myself. I have a old Peak 1 Cobra whos fly died this year. So I got a hold of Coleman and ordered an Iyno fly. They must have been out of them too. They sent an X fly. I needed to make another pole and sew grommets to the inner tent to make it work. Also have an Texsport hiker inner that I matched up with a TNF Tadpole 23 fly. So far 2 for 2 this year.

My main concerns are the foot of the tent and where the seams would lie in regards to the poles. So I will get a measurement from the top, pole to pole.

I'll post the measurements for you. 

10:11 a.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

thanks.  i'm gonna correct a few measurements too.

110" end to end

60" at the widest near the door.

12:34 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

This looks a lot like a Sierra Designs Light Year: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierra-designs/light-year-1/

I believe this tent is still in production, and you might see if a fly for this would work.  This is a fairly common design, and perhaps one of the less-expensive brands would have a replacement fly that would work too.

If you're handy, attempting to make a fly, perhaps out of Tyvek or even a paint draping tarp might be a fun diversion, though I doubt it would as weatherproof as the genuine article.

2:51 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Seth, that was what I was thinking at first, or maybe even the Kelty Dart. But both are one person tents. That MH is an older two person with the doors in the front. I can't seem to find one like it anymore. Nearly all put the doors on the side now days.

3:36 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

image.jpg

Pole to pole 56"

image.jpg

Back of inside of tent to front of fly 116"

image.jpg

Front, ground to top of pole 39.5 inches

image.jpg

Front pole to pole 62"

image.jpg

Foot of tent, Ground to top of pole 24"

image.jpg

Back of tent, Pole to pole 49 inches

image.jpg

Two zippers on the front of the fly for both doors.

Now if the fly seems to be alittle shy in hight, longer stake loops could be tied on. And by looking at your tent the bath tube floor would give you plenty of coverage in case of rain.

3:58 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Looks like the fly is a little short on height in the front. That would give around a 4 inch gap on both sides. That wouldn't be all bad, better air flow. My only concern is with the very front of the fly coming up to short. But adding longer stake loops might just work. Don't forget to measure the distance of the two poles at the top of the tent. Thats the only way we can tell where the seams would lie. If that measurement isn't close the fly wont work at all. And one more measurement front pole (Ground) to back pole Ground. I've got 60".

9:09 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Hey, Look at the Mountain Hardwear Lightpath 2. That fly might be just be the right one!

10:46 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

and i was looking at the lightpath 3.  that one gives absolute coverage in height.  only misses are in width.  could i just stake it out further from the body of the tent?  or am i better off being a little snug and short on the fit?

11:39 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

then again...i could just get a marmot limelight 2 shipped for under $150 and be done with the whole mess?

7:00 a.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

You only have $20 into this project tent. And there is no way to know for sure if a different fly would work. So cutting your loses now doesn't sound that bad. 

7:12 a.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Though the pole configuration is different, the shape of that tent is very similar to the MH Skyview. That one may be worth checking out for a fit...

Here's what my Skyview 1.5 looks like:

http://www.trailspace.com/people/bheiser1/photos/mountain-hardwear-skyview-1.5/

http://www.trailspace.com/people/bheiser1/photos/mountain-hardwear-skyview-1.5-2/

4:42 p.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

MH finally came through with a fly. Now I have to choose between the laser and am SD clip flashlight.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply