About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Repair of my Mtn Hardwear tent

12:25 p.m. on September 5, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Last summer while hiking in the Tetons a animal tried to chew thru one of my tents door zippers making it unusable. So I plan to stitch the zipper line together till sometime later when I will either find a repair shop or send it back to Mtn Hardwear to be done. I contacted them earlier this summer just after it happened and they said they would repair it for about $50 but I never got around to sending it off. Now I am leaving soon to cycle south. I know of a gear repair shop in Flagstaff when I may go thru there later this Fall.

4:23 p.m. on September 6, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

I use a local luggage repair/shoe cobbler for such repairs.  Better deal too.

Ed

4:18 p.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

No on my bike tour one of the tents poles have broken. I used duct tape to repair it.

I never did get the zipper repaired but managed to get the zipper closed to one side, and just use the other door now.

2:15 p.m. on September 29, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Don"t rest an axe on it.  I know that is a bad thing to do.

12:15 a.m. on September 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Gary,

A quick and easy repair to your tent pole can be found in any hardwear store for pennies. Just look for 3/8 diameter plastic piping. It is somewhat flexible and should just slid over your tent pole. Secure it in place with duct tape and you are good to go. ( Vanguard PEX tubing 3/8"). will cost less than a dollar.

1:52 a.m. on September 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

image.jpgPole repair

1:54 a.m. on September 30, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Schlockmyr said:

Gary,

A quick and easy repair to your tent pole can be found in any hardwear store for pennies. Just look for 3/8 diameter plastic piping. It is somewhat flexible and should just slid over your tent pole. Secure it in place with duct tape and you are good to go. ( Vanguard PEX tubing 3/8"). will cost less than a dollar.

Yea, copper tubing or even small diameter galvanized pipe works too.

You can make this kind of repair much more stronger and reliable by filling the tubing with gorilla weld or one of those other epoxy compound repair adhesives found in hardware stores.  Roughen up the surface of the pole shafts in the area to be repaired using sand paper, prior to repairing. 

Ed

9:46 p.m. on September 30, 2012 (EDT)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Zippers are a pain in the butt to replace but just get a needle and some dental floss and put in a new one yourself.  I've done all kind of zipper repairs and some were done in the field. 

I once blew out a North Face sleeping bag zipper and sewed the whole thing shut and together until I got home and replaced it with an old bivy bag zipper.

Pack zippers are commonly replaced and I've used old jacket zippers, etc.  Old tents sometimes have great zippers which should be pulled out before discarding the tent and then used in your current tent.

You can also punch holes in the tent canopy around the zipper and the door and thread in a drawcord and make a drawcord door with a toggle clasp.  Tighten it to get the door and the canopy pulled together.  It won't look great but it will offer some bug and animal protection.

5:09 p.m. on October 1, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

I fixed the broken pole with a aluminum tube that fit over the original tent pole. I dict taped it on one side so it doesn't slide off.

I got the broken zipper to zip all the way to one side and just use the opposite door all the time.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply