Recoating silnylon tents

6:09 p.m. on September 22, 2012 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Just thought I'd post up a bit of knowlege shared on the web about a topic that may be of interest to a few people. This fellow's blog is about his experience with recoating his tents with silicone.

http://dzjow.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/how-to-re-coat-a-shelter/

3:18 p.m. on September 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Interesting, but it sounds very complicated. Has anyone tried using the commercially available spray-on coatings? I was looking at that last week.

10:24 a.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,047 forum posts

I've touched up the seams on my Henry Shires Tarp Tent with this method and it wasn't bad.  Mix paint thinner and Silicone Caulk and apply to clean seams. Re-coating an entire shelter sounds a bit intense, but doing a tarp doesn't sound hard.  After drying, I might even wash the shelter off with a hose to remove any stubborn solvent fumes....

9:30 p.m. on September 28, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I haven't tried the silicone & paint thinner myself, but I have read numerous accounts of it being used successfully.

I am getting ready to seam seal my '98 MH tent fly which is polyurethane. I plan on using seam sealer on half the fly & my own mixture of polyurethane sealant & acetone on the other half.               I think I will try it out on some scrap tent material first though to see how much it needs to be thinned for use as seam sealer.

Mike G.

5:55 p.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

hi,

I'm wondering if the polyurethane technique has worked. I've come across many reference for the silicone method, but none for the pu one.

Any feedback would be excellent,

Ta.

6:05 p.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

bugmenot said:

hi,

I'm wondering if the polyurethane technique has worked. I've come across many reference for the silicone method, but none for the pu one.

Any feedback would be excellent,

Ta.

It is my experiance that the recoating with urethane does work.  I would how ever recomend that you thin it out and use one-three thin layers/coats rather than straight out of the can.  It goes on very thick straight out of the can and is prone to peeling as well as creasing once it has dried when you fold or stuff the material if you use it straight out of the can.  Try to use the same material to thin the urathane that is already used in the urethane.  If you have any questions about the urethane contact the manufacture.  You must also make sure that you have removed all of the older urethane and make sure that the material is 100% dirt and oil free.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply