Standard butan gas cartridges

3:28 a.m. on June 5, 2001 (EDT)

Can anyone tell me for address (internet source) for standard camping butan cartridges (International 190 gr. butane cartridges or similar). I am also interested in buying a machine for filling the cartridges.

11:53 a.m. on June 5, 2001 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts
Standard??? Ummmmm....

There is no real "standard" for butane cartridges. Maybe you mean propane cartridges? Except, you said 190gr, and propane cartridges are much much larger than that.

The closest thing to a "standard" in butane and butane/ isobutane/propane mix cartridges is having a Lindahl valve, and that is only about half the companies out there. The sizes don't match your request for 190 gr, since the two "standard" sizes are roughly 250-290 gram and 450-500 gram, depending on the company. Brands include Primus, MSR, Snowpeak (Gigapower), Coleman, and a couple of Asian companies that come close to the "plain brown label" description. Cartridges sold under the Bleuet label (also Gaz and Camping Gaz, owned by Coleman) have a valve that is physically close to the Lindahl in size, but is not threaded, hence incompatible. And the Bleuet 100, 106, 200, and 206 cartridges are puncture-type cartridges that fit only the Bleuet (Gaz, Camping Gaz) series 100 and 200 stoves. There are SE Asian stoves and cartridges that are copies of the Bleuet 200 series stoves. There are several cartridges that look a lot like a spray can that have fittings for only certain stoves.

The manufacturers advise against refilling any of the butane cartridges, and in general, it is illegal in the US and Canada to do so. You can't refill the puncture cartridges in any case, but the Lindahl and Bleuet cartridges with the rubber valve insert wear out the rubber insert after a while (pretty quickly after exhausting the cartridge). The insert would be difficult to replace, even if it were available, due to the construction of the cartridge.

So you are left with buying new, factory filled cartridges. The Lindahl-valved cartridges are pretty widely available in Canada, US, most European countries, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. On the net, EMS, REI, Cabela's, MEC, and a lot of other outdoor retailers have them and will ship UPS.

3:17 p.m. on August 20, 2001 (EDT)
Re: Standard??? Ummmmm....

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I am really very interested in buying machine for filling butan gas 190 gr camp cartridges. I will be very grateful if you can refer to me any firm of this kind. I made some contacts with firms that sell cartridges, but I am most interested in machine for filling them.

Thank you very much in advance.

2:42 a.m. on September 4, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Butan gas-mix cartridges 190gr

Kindly request information for addresses (internet sources) for standard camping butane cartridges of 190 gr.
I am interested in continuous import of large quantities (relevant brands: Campingaz, Colemam, Primus, Markill, or other brand, if available in low price!)
Await your kind information!

N.Lolis
Athens, Greece
Sept. 4th 2001

2:44 a.m. on September 4, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Butan gas-mix cartridges 190gr

Kindly request information for addresses (internet sources) for standard camping butane cartridges of 190 gr. from Europe.
I am interested in continuous import of large quantities (relevant brands: Campingaz, Colemam, Primus, Markill, or other brand, if available in low price!)
Await your kind information!

N.Lolis
Athens, Greece
Sept. 4th 2001

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply