Dana Design Terraplane repair

10:09 p.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Picked up a Dana Design for my son at a ridiculously low price....but it has a cracked frame sheet.

Any ideas?  Repair it...or replace it?

The fabric, zippers, belt, shoulder straps are in great shape.

2:18 p.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Charlie,

As you know, Dana Design was bought by K2 in 1996 (hard to believe it was that long ago). When K2 bought Marmot a few years later, they merged Dana and Marmot operations, so that the Dana packs have the Marmot label. If you do a Google search for Dana Designs, you can get a Marmot web page the brags about the Dana pedigree for many of their packs. So maybe Marmot would be willing to do the repair. Both Barb and I have Terraplanes (mine is an OK, hers is a 10th Anniversary). They are so excellent and long-lived that I would advise trying to get the framesheet replaced.

I had a talk with Dana Gleason at the OR Show last summer. He hinted that he is thinking about coming out with an updated version of the Terraplane. You might contact him (Mystery Mountain these days, as you know).

4:15 p.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I think its mystery ranch not mystery mountain. A lot of mr packs have two vertical pockets like the 'plane packs.

9:16 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Thanks Bill-

I called Marmot, and customer service is going to check their stash of DD parts and see if they still have any frame sheets remaining. I also contacted Mystery Ranch and they may be able to cut out a frame sheet from HDPE plastic and send it to me. I have a seamstress that might be able to sew the sleeve in place that the aluminum stay fits into. I also might try to repair this frame sheet and use it as a spare. This pack also needs some foam padding, and I need to replace that as well.

I picked up another Terraplane on EBay last Friday...used on only one trip...and I got it for .$152.50. Supposedly in excellent shape.

Two of my adult sons needed packs, one is an Asst. Scoutmaster, and his troop goes backpacking a lot, so I wanted to get him one to upgrade from his old Kelty internal frame pack. My other son goes to Moab often with friends, and thought a Terraplane would suit him well. Sure glad to see the Terraplanes coming up on EBay!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Charlie

10:41 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

I think its mystery ranch not mystery mountain. A lot of mr packs have two vertical pockets like the 'plane packs.

You are right - Mystery Ranch. Sorry bout that (I nevr mek misteakss {8=>D)

10:45 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

You are right - Mystery Ranch. Sorry bout that (I nevr mek misteakss {8=>D)

Good to see you are getting help on the repair, Charlie. Marmot and Mystery Ranch are good companies and stand behind their products.

11:54 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Ended up buying some 1/16" HPDE sheeting today.  We cut out the frame sheet using a band saw, and will be stitching a stay sleeve on the frame sheet in the next few days.

Marmot was out of replacement parts and Mystery Ranch wasn't much help, unfortunately.  Kinda fun to fix it myself, however. :-)

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply