About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Water Filter

4:10 p.m. on April 21, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have a Pur Scout water filter that is almost 20 years old and still has original cartridge in it. It hasn't been used for about 15 years, and was only used a few times. It was properly cleaned and dry before storing. I'm wondering if I need to replace the cartridge or not. It looks very clean. Not sure what the shelf life is on it, especially the shelf life of the iodine resin portion.

The only upcoming use planned is by my son on the Appalachian Trail. My guess is that it would be fine for where he is going, but I also want to know if it is safe to use. I plan to flush with water and bleach again (per the instructions that came with it).

Advice? Thanks!!

6:47 p.m. on April 21, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,009 forum posts

Replace the filter.  You do not want him to get way back in there and have the filter clog up on him.  Why press your luck to be cheap?

8:49 p.m. on April 21, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Welcome Dqlsmason,

I would highly recommend replacing the filter cartridge just to be safe.

A small price to pay for peace of mind.

PUR was acquired by the Katadyn Group (a Swiss company) in 2001.

The replacement cartridge for the PUR Scout is available from Katadyn or various retailers.

From the Katadyn Website:

"What if I need a replacement cartridge for a PUR purifier?

Katadyn microfilter replacement cartridges fit 2 PUR purifier pumps. The Hiker cartridge will fit into a Voyager, and the Guide cartridge will fit into a Scout. For full virus protection with a microfilter, use an EPA-registered chemical disinfectant, after pumping."

You need the "Guide Pro" cartridge which will also fit the Scout, but is not iodine impregnated like the original Scout filter cartridge. The iodine was used to kill viruses.

The Guide Pro cartridge will filter out bacteria & protozoa, but for virus protection Katadyn recommends filtering first, then adding a chemical disinfectant such as Micropur (by Katadyn)  tablets to the water which are sold by many outdoor stores or can easily be ordered online.

Here is a link to the Katadyn website.

A link to the filter you need.

I hope that helps, Mike G.

8:44 p.m. on April 22, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks. The advantage of the old filter is the iodine. The old filter was only used a few times and looks like new, so I don't think it would clog up. Given its age, I wonder if the iodine still works? I'm okay with spending money on a new one, but wondered if old one was still 'good'.

7:09 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Sure, I understand - to be perfectly honest I doubt anyone is going to go out on a limb and assure you the old filter is safe to use. Your filter cartridge may be okay for filtration, but the Iodine may have exceeded it's shelf life, I just don't know.

I do know that the Iodine tablets made by Potable Aqua have a shelf life of 4 years if left unopened, kept at room temp, and not exposed to humidity or sunlight. Once opened the shelf life is 1 year. Is that the absolute shelf life or the recommended shelf life of the tablets? I don't know.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can tell you, also you could always ask Katadyn and see what the response is.

I wish I could tell you,

Mike G.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply