Dying an R2 fleece?

7:29 p.m. on April 29, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Hey has anyone tried dying an R2 fleece? I have one that is a hideous bright blue. I'd love to dye it with some rit dye but don't want to risk damaging the insulating properties. 

Any advise is greatly appreciated -

8:03 p.m. on April 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Considering that the color of fleece and many other synthetics these days is part of the fiber (that is, in the threads and yarns themselves) and not an after-weaving or knitting dye, I suspect you would not be successful. DWR treatments depend on a chemical binding to the fibers that is different from the coloring process, so that will work.

Good luck!

1:48 a.m. on April 30, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Thanks Bill - yeah I think I'll just have to get used to it, and my dad said it's not really that bad. Ultimately, I guess I don't really care how fashionable I look when I'm out in the backcountry anyway...!

Hey are you doing your navigation class this year?

9:46 a.m. on April 30, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,215 forum posts

Try it and find out.

6:04 p.m. on April 30, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

langcow said:

Hey are you doing your navigation class this year?

Unfortunately, as it stands right now, I won't be doing the navigation class at Clair Tappaan this year. I am headed for Peru for the American Alpine Club's Climber Science Program, third year for the program. I will be there the whole month of June. June is when I usually do the nav class. Peter, the lodge manger, and I have been trying to figure out a time to do the course. But I have a pretty full load of things coming up (so much for taking it easy during retirement!)

6:21 p.m. on April 30, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

OK I'll keep watching the schedule. I'm looking forward to taking that someday.

I know my dad is far busier now that he's retired - I guess it comes with the territory. Enjoy Peru!

October 26, 2014
Quick Reply