carbon fibre trekking poles

8:55 a.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

i have a pair of carbon fibre trekking poles  which i have had serviced .they have been lying up in my bedroom  i went to check them out and i can not get the end pole section out of the middle pole section it is jammed solid does anyone have any ideas before they go in the  rubbish bin

10:14 a.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Heat expands molecules, cold contracts them.

You have 2 sections stuck together. ASSUMING YOU KNOW THEY ARE UNLOCKED . . . Try an ice pack on the smaller section and a heating pad, or pouring boiling water on the larger section. The tap or rap them sharply.

11:12 a.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,047 forum posts

Hi John261 - if you could share what brand/model they are, and maybe post a picture, that would help.

Carbon fiber can be delicate with respect to sharp impacts. You might try a little water or rubbing alcohol to loosen the bond. I wouldn't use any solvents or oils.

11:36 a.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

Melensdad is right, machinists do this all the time with stuck parts but we use torches and liquid nitrogen or canned air.

Canned air, turned upside-down gives you liquid refrigerant= very cold.  It might be easier than ice.  It also removes warts really well, but my Dr. said to never do it again. 

Jeff

12:28 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

<

Carbon fiber can be delicate with respect to sharp impacts. You might try a little water or rubbing alcohol to loosen the bond. I wouldn't use any solvents or oils.

Yes, you must be careful but carbon fiber has great strength longitudinally and the 'rap' or 'tap' should be made on the carbon tip so you don't break the pole in half.

Melensdad is right, machinists do this all the time with stuck parts but we use torches and liquid nitrogen or canned air.

Canned air, turned upside-down gives you liquid refrigerant= very cold.  It might be easier than ice.  It also removes warts really well, but my Dr. said to never do it again. 

Jeff

Can't speak to wart removal, but yes, canned air upside down is really cold and will work really well, but its not cheap.

9:14 a.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Thanks guys I'll let you know the out come

10:46 a.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

I have tried now the carbon fibre poles are in the rubbish bin,my advice now on walking poles are if you want a pair buy cheap I know they might be heavier but when they mess and they will ,they have only cost you £20/30 pound a pair instead of £80/120+

12:13 p.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

I use old ski poles. They are never out of adjustment and never fail. They cost about 10 dollars used for good aluminum ones.

5:05 p.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

I have just bought a pair of craghoppers super lite walking poles £31.94 inc postage the pair there only 90grams heavier than the carbon poles and less than a third of the cost 

7:50 p.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

My wife and I both use aluminum Leki anti-shock poles. We are very happy with our respective pairs. One thing I found very comfortable about the Leki grips is that they are canted forward (I think 8 degrees?) and for hiking I think they are much more comfortable than my ski poles.

We chose to pay extra for the anti-shock system because we do a reasonable amount of road hiking in the countryside and the anti-shock has proved itself valuable on the hard surface walks.

5:13 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,513 forum posts

I use LEKi as well, Melensdad. Love the corklite grips and the locks...but I find my locks sometimes slip....do you?

7:33 a.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

I use LEKi as well, Melensdad. Love the corklite grips and the locks...but I find my locks sometimes slip....do you?

I have never had my locks slip.

On the other hand, my wife has had the lock on her right pole slip several times. I honestly think she is rotating her pole slightly when she plants or pushes off? Its never her left, only her right pole. Probably happens once every 25 miles or so. We use them almost daily, except during fencing season when are coaching schedule is so hectic that we only get out for hikes a couple days a week.

9:21 a.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

It also removes warts really well, but my Dr. said to never do it again. 

LOL And you discovered this by accident?

I've used Black Diamond poles since they came out with the Flick Lock design. I've seen too many twist lock poles let go at the wrong moment, landing someone on their butt. 

ppine's right about ski poles - they don't need adjustment and they never let go either. On the other hand, they can't be collapsed for carrying on a pack when you don't need them, or for transport in a car, and they can't be adjusted for different people or changed for uphill or downhill travel. 

9:53 a.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
400 forum posts

Peter1955 said:

FromSagetoSnow said:

It also removes warts really well, but my Dr. said to never do it again. 

LOL And you discovered this by accident?

I've used Black Diamond poles since they came out with the Flick Lock design. I've seen too many twist lock poles let go at the wrong moment, landing someone on their butt. 

ppine's right about ski poles - they don't need adjustment and they never let go either. On the other hand, they can't be collapsed for carrying on a pack when you don't need them, or for transport in a car, and they can't be adjusted for different people or changed for uphill or downhill travel. 

Agreed and agreed.

I'm on my first set of poles with the Flick Lock because I haven't destroyed them yet. I've never had poles last through as many trips before. Usually I consider them a consumable, like gloves, but I've actually grown attached to this pair.

I also prefer the adjustable/collapsible poles both for getting them into the saddlebags on my scoot and for terrain adjustments. I rarely change for uphill or downhill but there are some trails that cut across a slope leaving one pole uphill of the trail and the other downhill.  This seems to throw off my stride because my back, hips and knees all start grumbling until I make a short pole and a long pole.  Then I'll swap them from side to side if doing switchbacks.

2:34 p.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

My Leki Makalus slip fairly regularly. I use them in winter with snow baskets and I think they get moisture in the locks. The BD Flicklock design is supposed to be better, but I've never used them, just seen them recommended by skiers who use them for backcountry tele skiing.

5:01 p.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,513 forum posts

melensdad said:

giftogab said:

On the other hand, my wife has had the lock on her right pole slip several times. I honestly think she is rotating her pole slightly when she plants or pushes off? Its never her left, only her right pole. Probably happens once every 25 miles or so. We use them almost daily, except during fencing season when are coaching schedule is so hectic that we only get out for hikes a couple days a week.

I don't know if I rotate, but I do know I put a lot of pressure on my poles at times.

5:41 p.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

melensdad said:

giftogab said:

I don't know if I rotate, but I do know I put a lot of pressure on my poles at times.

I asked about rotation because Leki claims to have had their poles tested and the old style barrel locks/internal cam locks are claimed to be MUCH stronger than the new style flip/lever locks. They publish some data on it, if that can be trusted.

Typically I check my poles at the onset of each hike, just to make sure they are tight, that may be why mine have never been loose? On the other hand I don't think my wife checks hers at all. But it is interesting to me that only her right pole loosens up, and I honestly believe it is due to her poling style.

My wife has a different cam/twist/barrel lock on the lower portion of her poles than are on mine. At least the exterior housing is different. She uses the Cressida Anti-Shock with a full cork grip, I've got the Cork Lite Aregon Anti-shock poles. Both sets have a lower cam/twist/barrel style lock on the bottom and a lever style lock on the top, but as I said, her lower lock is a different design than mine.

5:43 p.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
900 forum posts

I try to steer away from carbon fiber as it can fail catastrophically(bicycle frames, sail boat masts and spinnaker poles)with extremely dire consequences. I have Leki Makalus, both the older twist lock versions and the newer flip lock versions. The older ones can slip more easily if the get grit in them so they can't be tightened enough. The flip locks seem to be better. The key with any of these is to keep them clean.

7:35 p.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,513 forum posts

melensdad said:

giftogab said:

melensdad said:

giftogab said:

I asked about rotation because Leki claims to have had their poles tested and the old style barrel locks/internal cam locks are claimed to be MUCH stronger than the new style flip/lever locks. They publish some data on it, if that can be trusted.

Typically I check my poles at the onset of each hike, just to make sure they are tight, that may be why mine have never been loose? On the other hand I don't think my wife checks hers at all. But it is interesting to me that only her right pole loosens up, and I honestly believe it is due to her poling style.

My wife has a different cam/twist/barrel lock on the lower portion of her poles than are on mine. At least the exterior housing is different. She uses the Cressida Anti-Shock with a full cork grip, I've got the Cork Lite Aregon Anti-shock poles. Both sets have a lower cam/twist/barrel style lock on the bottom and a lever style lock on the top, but as I said, her lower lock is a different design than mine.

I am going to have to pay attention. IT is the lower section and they ahve the flipper release and big plastic screw to tighten. I always check those on the outset and sure enough, they slip at some point during the hike. I mentioned the pressure because I am bigger and that might have an impact.

8:56 p.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

melensdad said:

giftogab said:

melensdad said:

giftogab said:

I am going to have to pay attention. IT is the lower section and they ahve the flipper release and big plastic screw to tighten. I always check those on the outset and sure enough, they slip at some point during the hike. I mentioned the pressure because I am bigger and that might have an impact.

Well if its the flip lock style then twisting when planting probably is not the issue. I believe that is my wife's issue with her pole coming loose.

Since you use Leki poles, here is a link to their lock system page. http://www.leki.com/806--adjustment_systems.html

It says the twist style lock is stronger than the lever style lock. The Leki twist lock will handle 140kg/308pounds. But when it comes to the lever style lock they say only that it "significantly surpasses" the minimum standard of 55kg/121pounds.

5:58 a.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

well my new craghoppers ultra lite poles with suspension  have arrived only 68 grams heavier than my now diseased trekmates carbon poles and at £31.54 less than a third of the price and a life time guarantee ill post a full review soon 

8:38 a.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

john261 said:

well my new craghoppers ultra lite poles with suspension  have arrived only 68 grams heavier than my now diseased trekmates carbon poles and at £31.54 less than a third of the price and a life time guarantee ill post a full review soon 

Excellent. I look forward to it. Give them a really good workout - people rely on the reviews!

10:10 a.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,513 forum posts

I may be in market for new poles before Machu Picchu!

3:00 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

i had a partial failure with my black diamond aluminum trekking poles - shock handles, flick locks.  the carbide tips started falling out.

I called black diamond, and they replaced the bottom sections of the poles & sent spare tips.  turns out black diamond had re-engineered how the tips fit into the poles.  all i had to pay was the cost of the shipping. 

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply