Taped seams starting to peel

5:38 p.m. on January 13, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

My SD Clip Flashlight 2 has some taped seams that are starting to peel... I'm sure this is a pretty standard problem but I couldn't dig up a thread on it specifically.

Everyone says to use the McNett products... Should i just seal right over the tape? or try to get it under the peeling areas a little too? Or remove the tape completely before sealing? 

6:27 p.m. on January 13, 2014 (EST)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I had the same problem with an old Kelty tent I have.  You will have to pull up as much of the old seam tape as possible to get a good new seal with seam sealer.  If you leave the old seam tape on and seal over it, then it is difficult to get a clean new seal.  

6:38 p.m. on January 14, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,544 reviewer rep
1,322 forum posts

manufacturers that have a lifetime guarantee/warranty might very well replace those items.  if you are considering a replacement, i counsel against using mcnett's or anything else to perform your own repair.  that would likely void the warranty. 

i have replaced two jackets in the past due to seam tape delamination, both with several years of relatively regular use, under warranty. 

10:17 a.m. on January 15, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
468 reviewer rep
1,084 forum posts

For large and comprehensive seam peeling, I'd contact the manufacturer, unless the product is very old or had been subject to unusual conditions. For little seam tape issues, I'd used a variety of urethane adhesives - including those by McNett, to fix them up "good as new."

2:05 p.m. on January 15, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

It's only in one area... probably under two feet of seam tape total. I also purchased the tent used for under $70 and Sierra Design's warranty info says they repair for a reasonable price for items with normal wear and tear. I'm not really looking to go through a month long mailing/customer service process only to pay for shipping and repairs I could have done myself on a tent I barely paid anything for.. 

Additionally, SD recommends the use of McNett's products on their tents. I'm more looking for specific technique recommendations from anyone who has done this before, though I did email Sierra Designs to see what they have to say.

5:40 p.m. on January 15, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
163 forum posts

Mcnett has some instructions posted on how to do it :

http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/blog/tent-seam-sealing

see step 4

1:56 a.m. on January 16, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I agree with Andrew, see if the maker of the tent will replace it. I had a TNF Oval Intention tent for 30 years and they still replaced the rainfly when its seams came apart.

4:32 p.m. on January 16, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
940 forum posts

It is possible to replace the seam tape AND use McNetts before hand. Seattle Fabrics has a good supply of the various sealing materials, if you cannot find it locally. Bear in mind that depending on the material and coating, different sealers are used.

5:15 p.m. on January 16, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hey all. Got the word back from Sierra Designs. He said since the tent is about 7 years old, they'd most likely just offer me a 50% off deal on a tent, which I'm not really into. So it looks like I'm gonna delve into resealing the peeling part of the tent. I'll look into the replacement seam tape... 

1:01 a.m. on January 17, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Some companies are better at warranties than others it seems. I had a Sierra Designs parka for 6 years in the early 1980s that also SD would not replace when the Gore-Tex lamination started peeling after many years of up to 9 months a years use. I ended up replacing it with a Northface parka that served me another 20 years before I replaced it via a TNF warranty.

12:41 p.m. on January 17, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
940 forum posts

Gary, I'd say you got your money's worth out of that Sierra Designs parka.:-) I think that warranties are for products that fail due to a manufacturing defect or flaw. Failing because they are simply worn out should not be a warranty issue. Any manufacturer that offers a discount or full replacement because the product failed after many years of use is being very kind. In the OPs case, the tent he bought used has started to lose its seam tape. I think SD is being quite reasonable to offer a 50% discount on a new tent.

One thing that I think is important in the product reviews we do at TS, is to consider the longevity and durability of a product. Many of the reviews are focused on functionality, but don't delve deeply into how long a product lasts. I think this latter is an important aspect of how good a product is and how well it performs. One of my reviews here is of my SVEA 123R stove. It has performed now for over 40 years and the only part I retired was the tank cap, and not because it failed, but because I thought it might be time. That was after 30 years of use.

Function for me includes value and that includes longevity. 

2:04 p.m. on January 17, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I have also had a SVEA 123 stove for many years. I bought mine in 1978 and have never had to replace any part of it, except the rubber washer inside the pump valve in the fuel cap.

I have been lucky as with gear I have had three items replaced under warranty by the North Face. All were bought in the late 1970's, two were tent rain fly's on two different tents one was a pair of Goretex rain pants TNF replaced after 18 years of use. One tent was in its late 20-30's before the fly failed. The other failed due to snow weight greater than the warranty specified but they still replaced it, maybe because I told them I was living in it at the time in Yosemite only 2 years after purchase.

I usually buy gear made for the harshest use, like mountaineering on the highest mountains in the world. Both my Oval Intention and VE-24 lasted me many years, before I sold them when I began going lighter about 10 years ago.

12:32 p.m. on January 18, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
940 forum posts

I wouldn't necessarily equate mountaineering gear with the most durable. True, it needs to withstand the rigors of an expedition, or perhaps multiple expeditions without failing. But it also has to be lightweight. While not suitable for most of the things that TS users do, the canvas Duluth packs I reviewed can last generations of service.

Most manufacturers of outdoor gear have become more savvy over the years in designing gear. It needs to be lightweight, meet a certain price point, and last as long as it needs to. The latter is often vague, but much gear is not designed for day in day out use that Gary puts it to. There is much gear that is suitable for week end warriors for five years, perhaps twenty or thirty days a year or less for 100 or 120 days total. That would suit most people. Finding gear that stands up to 60 days a year for 10 years adds a whole level in the quest for durability, especially while still trying to keep it light.

November 29, 2014
Quick Reply