Duct tape, the universal repair tape/material.

12:04 p.m. on March 30, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

I carry extra duct tape wrapped around my water bottles to use on everything from a band aid that stays on even when wet, to easy repairs on gear. I caught my down jacket in my pack zipper 4 months ago and put duct tape on the hole and its still there 120 days later and I have worn the jacket almost every day since, and its on the end of the sleeve where it gets the most rubbing from my hand going in and out all the time.

I use duct tape on blisters, corns and scrape and scratches with a small piece of toilet paper or a small gauze pad in the middle.

I use the tape to repair torn shoes, heels coming off, etc.

Also works in a pinch to use like rope to bind three sticks together in a tripod. or bind  lean-to poles together when primitive camping.  Or just take a long piece and roll it up lenthwise to make a rope or small string like clothes line.

I bet you all can come up with other uses? I have even repaired the back of a topo map. Thinking of that I also use the 2 inch wide scotch tape to repair cracks in water bottles, as a simple map water proofer, and to cover the measurement labels on a new bottle to make it last the life of the bottle. Also as a way to make travel stickers on my bicycle frame and make them last longer.

5:04 p.m. on March 30, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I used to carry a small roll of duct tape, but recently(1-2 yrs ago) I switched to Kendall Wetpruf Waterproof tape (athletic tape). For everything I have ever needed tape for I am finding that this tape works about 10x better than duct tape in general, and is also capable of doing some things better such as wraping a sprained ankle, or as a makeshift bandage etc.

Just this past Friday night I used a small X of tape to patch a hole in my friends thermarest sleeping pad. Which works surprisingly well and doesnt leak at all.

I have found duct tape to not adhere well to some things, and even if it does adhere well it has a tendancy to come off after a little while or after getting wet. Don't get we wrong, duct tape is awesome, is cheap, and certainly will get the job done. I have just found that I prefer this other tape even more.

7:48 a.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,567 reviewer rep
766 forum posts

I've been carrying duct tape for years. This year, I made the switch to Tear Aid--lighter and better, IMO.

10:31 a.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

i havnt used any tear aid tape, but have used a few of their stick on patches. That stuff definitely works like a champ.

11:26 a.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

There is a book that was published about 20 years ago, maybe longer, titled the "Duct Tape Manual". Depending on the maufacturer, the tape goes under the names "duct tape" (since one of the main uses is on HVAC ducting) and "duck tape" (since it is waterproof, with this variation of the name coming from the military during WWII). The original book had several dozen uses, including the bandage, repair, and other improvisation uses. MacGyver made a lot of uses of duct tape in that TV series.

12:39 p.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

Mythbusters has dedicated more than one episode to duck tape also. Most of those episodes can be found on You Tube. They have lifted cars, made boats, repaired planes, etc...

Here is the bridge episode:

10:40 a.m. on April 2, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

Patman, Thats a good one. That Mythbuster guy was scared to death!

10:48 a.m. on April 2, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,102 forum posts

All of my game changing uses for duct tape have involved boats. Swamped canoes and  a wooden drift boat with holes punched in it by rocks were made seaworthy with the use of duct tape. Twenty miles from a road these are real game changers. Sometimes we would spend the next couple of days recovering items lost in a capsize by "eddy shopping."

9:32 p.m. on April 2, 2014 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

A variation on duct tape is gaffer tape, a staple of the film business. The best I ever used was sold by Lowel a company that makes lights and such. Lowel tape, at least the stuff I had years ago was made with some kind of woven fabric. I don't see it on their website now, but you can get gaffer tape at places that sell expendables for film and tv.

There actually is a difference between gaffer tape and duct tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

I used it to repair a convertible top and it lasted through a Ohio winter as I recall.

4:50 p.m. on April 18, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,269 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Y'all mention "Tear Aid" -- I'm guessing you mean the fabric type?  And will the fabric type work to patch a canoe enough to limp it home?

Anybody look at this versus Tenacious Tape?

5:16 p.m. on April 18, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

sg,

I carry Tear Aid but have only used it for repairing silnylon tent fabric and the X-Pac material used in my primary backpack (Mystery Ranch Trance). It works well for those purposes; I have one repair that has lasted for a couple years now on the backpack. It’s for fabric for sure. I’ve never used Tenacious tape.

1:49 a.m. on April 19, 2014 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Another choice is sail repair tape. There are various versions of it, including Dacron and Kevlar. West Marine and similar places sell it, plus the usual online stores.

5:19 a.m. on April 20, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I'd be willing to bet that if you cleaned the canoe hull sufficiently and put tear aid or tenacious tape onto when dry that it would probably hold and be water tight. I wouldnt purposefully set out with a hole in my canoe though!

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply