Drying Out a Platypus Bottle (or other)

4:47 p.m. on September 30, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,337 reviewer rep
842 forum posts

I try to get out on the trail at least once a month if not more and sometimes with little notice as opportunities arise, so am always looking for the most efficient and easiest way to clean up my gear and be ready for the next trip. I have it mostly down to a quick process but often find my Platypus soft sided 2L water bottle is in a perpetual state of drying - never getting all the moisture out. I think it's the small opening (that fits my Sawyer filter) causing the delay.  Tried it right side up, upside down in the drying rack, hung near a window, etc - no real difference.

Anyone have a quick and easy way to dry a soft sided bottle?  I don't want to get into building dryers etc...thought someone here would have a brilliant idea!

7:49 p.m. on September 30, 2017 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,394 reviewer rep
406 forum posts

Don't use a hairdryer!

I've best found storing them filled in a dark, cool spot & changing out the h2o before the next trip. I'm fortunately on trail enough that I don't have to dump the stored water.

BTW you're not alone with this, I gave up.

As long as nothing is growing in your stored water (or leaching BP-A, B), you never have to dry your reservoirs. 

A definite interesting thread, thanks Phil!

10:14 p.m. on September 30, 2017 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
341 forum posts

Phil never gave it much thought but if you have an air compressor with one of the air blower attachments that would probably work for you. The air hole is just about the right size. Heck I use mine to do everything from nail to sweeping the floor and blowing dust out of my gear and tents. So I don't see why it would not work for that also Just turn pressure all the way down

Or your wife's hair dryer Set on cool.

10:51 p.m. on September 30, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,679 reviewer rep
694 forum posts

I run them through the sanitize setting on my dishwasher.

1:09 a.m. on October 1, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Yeah---there's no easy answer on this one.  Heat damages the plastic.  We wash them, turn them upside down for about a day, and then leave them in a very open airy room with plenty of sunlight....and hope they dry before our next trip.

8:33 p.m. on October 1, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

I duct tape mine to an old floor fan for a day or so.  Wash it in the sink, shake out as much as possible and tape it where the air will go in the mouth without blowing around. Seems to work but all of my bladders are the wide mouth type..

8:34 a.m. on October 2, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
546 forum posts

One reason why I like the zip closure Platypus. Hang it high above a wood burning stove with the opening up.

9:37 a.m. on October 2, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,486 reviewer rep
206 forum posts

Get a cheap aquarium pump and insert the hose into the bottle. I've tried using a fan outside the bottle, but it can't really push air into the bottle through the same small hole that air must escape in order to facilitate airflow (in other words, a fan outside the bottle doesn't work very well). When you insert an aquarium pump's tube into the bottle then the air is blown down into the bottom of the bottle and air can escape through the bottle opening (make sure the air pump's tube leaves some room around it through the bottle's opening). An aquarium pump doesn't blow hard, but shake the bottle out well and leave the aquarium pump blowing overnight and it will be dry in the morning.

2:45 p.m. on October 3, 2017 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
11,204 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

I blow air into it (by mouth), and leave it standing upside down. I find it is usually dry within a few days. 

7:21 p.m. on October 4, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,842 reviewer rep
863 forum posts

Bend an old coat hanger into an Y, it'll keep it from lying flat and put it on a drying rack in the sun.

11:10 p.m. on October 4, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Coat hanger is the way to go. Used them many times to dry out Camelback and various other bladders or similar drinking punches over time. Make sure hangers are the mainly metal ones versus those coated with the white coating (it crumbles where the wire is bent). To find metal hangers visit a dry cleaners.

8:38 a.m. on October 5, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,486 reviewer rep
206 forum posts

Jake W said:

put it on a drying rack in the sun.

I would be concerned about damage from UV and/or radiant heat.

9:05 p.m. on October 6, 2017 (EDT)
MEDIA TOP 10 REVIEWER
2,147 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Have you tried just storing it in the freezer, many bladder users employ that method to avoid mold. 

11:00 p.m. on October 6, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
546 forum posts

Attach your Platypus to a hub cap on your car with industrial strength Velcro and go for a drive. Through a combination of centrifugal force and the pumping action created by rotating airflow it should dry out. Each rotation of the wheel should create the pumping action! :-)

8:08 a.m. on October 7, 2017 (EDT)
2,337 reviewer rep
842 forum posts

Thanks all. As suspected a bunch od great advice. I have tried the coat hanger and the small mouth bottle still doesn't dry between trips. May need to switch where I dry it.

Sifting through all this I like the aquarium air pump idea. Will try that too.

Freezer is an option, but ours gets piled up with stuff sometimes and I would hate for it to get beaten up by my wife rooting around in there.

Best plan is Seans...just keep heading out so often you don't need to empty them!

Well, except for pinesaps ...I guess I would be pimping my ride?

5:48 a.m. on October 8, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,856 forum posts

I don't use bladders, but do use large collapsible bulk water containers for camp.  I find these dry fastest when hung upside down, fully inflated, cap off.  I check on them regularly, and if they still show signs of moisture I compress out the moisture leaden air and re-inflate with dry air.  

Ed

2:35 p.m. on October 18, 2017 (EDT)
4,991 reviewer rep
1,927 forum posts

i use bladders, not soft sided bottles. i blow the hose clear and hang them upside down with something inserted to hold the bladder open (i like the zip top platypus bladders), like a piece of plastic or a tube sock. letting some air circulate, they usually dry in 24-48 hours.

October 19, 2017
Quick Reply