Help! Calling all Stove Gurus

12:27 p.m. on February 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I purchased a Camping Gaz GlobeTrotter stove back in 1979. Nice compact stove that stores right in its own little pot. Anyway, it seems to accept only the small cartridges (I think #106 size) that Coleman customer service (stateside representative?) tells me are no longer available. Are there other sources or am I now in the market for a replacement?

1:05 p.m. on February 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Additional Info

It is a puncture-type of cannister even though the stove part screws into it (I think the screwing part just plunges the needle into the cannister.) There also are metal swinging bars that hold the bottom of the cannister on. This means that it will not accept a longer, and thus, larger puncture-type of cannister (Size #206) that is more readily available.

1:33 p.m. on February 13, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,252 forum posts
I think yur outaluck, Paul

The GlobeTrotter is (was) a great stove for day trips, bivies, and such. It took the #100 cartridge (pure butane)originally, which became #106 when they started adding propane to the mix. I haven't seen any 100 or 106 cartridges for sale for several years, even in stores that used to have them gathering dust because so few of the stoves were sold in North America. Gaz, as most people know, is owned by Coleman. Since a lot of the Globetrotters were sold in Europe (where I got mine), there might possibly be cartridges still available in France and neighboring countries. I think (from the stove collector websites, anyway) that the Globetrotter and one lantern were the only things made that took the 100 and 106 cartridges. Some SE Asian imitations took the 200-series (200 and 206), and both Gaz and SE Asian cartridges and stoves (plus Markill's adapter for those cartridges to a standard threaded fitting) in that size are still available. I have 2 or 3 106 cartridges still sitting in the garage, and am reluctant to "burn my bridges", so to speak.

So, Paul, I think you are SOL and better add YAS (= yet another stove) to your collection, just like the rest of us ("My name is Bill, and I am a stove addict...")

2:39 p.m. on February 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Yeah, I kinda figured that

I also bought a whole bunch of the cannisters a while ago when I saw the handwriting on the wall. I just ran out after sporatic usage for many years. I bought mine in Munich, Germany, from the Army PX. I was a civilian worker at an Armed Forces Recreation Center ("AFRC") (busboy at ski resort in the Bavarian Alps.) Thanx for the info.

5:50 p.m. on February 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I purchased a Camping Gaz GlobeTrotter stove back in 1979. Nice compact stove that stores right in its own little pot. Anyway, it seems to accept only the small cartridges (I think #106 size) that Coleman customer service (stateside representative?) tells me are no longer available. Are there other sources or am I now in the market for a replacement?

Actually if is camping GAZ it is or was manufactured by a french company using a pierced canister type fuel cylinder. This company has moved to a different design incorperating a resealable cartridge. There is however a Czech. company that still manufactures a compatable cylinder and they can often be found at Next Adventure in Portland OR. I cant imagine it would be easy to track down fuel all of the time but if you refuse to cut your little stove loose you can still find fuel for it there and perhaps you could ask them about the supplier.

Cheers!

2:59 p.m. on February 14, 2003 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,252 forum posts
More info?

Quote:

Actually if is camping GAZ it is or was manufactured by a french company using a pierced canister type fuel cylinder. This company has moved to a different design incorperating a resealable cartridge.

Yes, Paul is referring to Camping GAZ, which is currently owned by Coleman. They still manufacture the 200/206 cartridge, which is the 190 gram fill puncture-type cartridge, as well as the 270 (220 g of fuel)and 470 (450 g) resealable cartridges. However, Paul is asking about the 106 cartridge, which is half the size (90 g) of the 200/206.

Quote:

... There is however a Czech. company that still manufactures a compatable cylinder and they can often be found at Next Adventure in Portland OR.

Do they manufacture the 100/106 size cartridge, or just the 200/206 cartridge? The stove Paul has (and I have) will take only the smaller cartridge. How can one contact Next Adventure (for us folks not in or close to Oregon)? Do they have a website?

Quote:

... I cant imagine it would be easy to track down fuel all of the time but if you refuse to cut your little stove loose you can still find fuel for it there and perhaps you could ask them about the supplier.

Again, does Next Adventure have the 100-series cartridges or just the 200-series?

3:46 p.m. on February 14, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Trying to Avoid Being a Stove Serial Monogamist

Bill, I called Next Adventure (503-233-0706) and learned the following: They "might" have matching cannisters made by a Greek company. They said that Camping Gaz has switched cannister types four times in the last twenty years. He said that they do have in stock the small size that has just a dimple in the metal on the top for the needle. That being said, it was his recommendation to bring the stove in and simply try it on (not likely for me, I'm two hours north of Seattle). Because of the shipping costs for "hazardous materials," he said the shipping charges would far exceed the price of the cannisters themselves and he recommended replacing the stove with a newer model that accepts the universal attachment.

I drive through Portland once or twice a year so I will hold onto the stove and play this out a little longer.

1:46 p.m. on February 15, 2003 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,252 forum posts
from a Stove Polygamist

Quote:

Bill, I called Next Adventure (503-233-0706) and learned the following: They "might" have matching cannisters made by a Greek company. They said that Camping Gaz has switched cannister types four times in the last twenty years.

Interesting how the story changes, depending on who is telling you, isn't it? I got my information as I currently understand it from Coleman, who own Gaz (appears in the public record and on the Coleman website). That is, the information about Gaz. When I talked to them at the OR Show last August, I neglected to ask about the 100-series cartridges, but I will try to remember to ask when I next visit with them in person. One specific discussion was about the general topic of rationalizing the plethora of cartridge types that Coleman presently produces. They plan over the next few years to standardize more as far as the stoves are concerned, although they will continue to produce cartridges for stoves already out there for some years beyond that. Eventually, they will discontinue the types they are dropping from the stove side of production.

Next Adventure may have misunderstood or slightly misstated about the cartridge types. Gaz has been imported into North America by a number of different companies over the past 40 or so years that I have had the Bleuet stoves - Garcia, Impecco, Suunto USA, and currently Coleman (the present owner). Coleman is retaining the Camping Gaz name, although they changed the name of most other European companies they acquired. It has never been clear what has or will happen with Coleman under Sunbeam ownership (the spinoff idea seems to have faded for now).

Anyway, the cannister configurations since about 1960 have been only 4 - the 200 series (S-200, S-206, with 190 g of fuel), the 100 series (S-100 and S-106 with 90 g of fuel, basically the same as the 200 series, but shorter in height), the 270 (250 g of fuel) and the 470 (450 g). The 100 and 200 series both have the dimple on top where the puncture hole is made. Since the cartridge must be held in place pressed against the connecting cap, these can only fit the same series of appliance (stove or lantern). The big disadvantage is that you can't remove the cartridge safely until it is empty (made that mistake once!). The 270 and 470 are larger and use a fitting that can be removed with the cartridge partially full. The fitting has hooks that latch into the collar and are pressed outward to latch firmly as the needle is pushed into the fitting through the rubber valve. The setup is similar to the "industry standard" fitting, except that the standard screw fitting has threads on the nipple instead of the latching setup of the Gaz cannister. The sizes are enough similar that MSR was able to make a "universal" fitting to fit both the Gaz and "industry standard" cartridges from Primus, MSR, Snowpeak, Markill, and others (including Coleman's own line of industry standard cartridges).

The thing is, Gaz did not change the configurations. They introduced additional ones. The 100 and 200 require stoves designed to take them specifically, while the x70 cartridges will all fit a wide range of appliances, including the MSR Superfly. Except possibly for the 100-series, the Gaz cartridges are still made and available from Coleman, with the 200 at least being available from some other manufacturers.

I suspect the 100 is dead in NA, as I said before. But I shall research it a bit.

2:30 p.m. on February 16, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: More info?

Quote:

Quote:

Actually if is camping GAZ it is or was manufactured by a french company using a pierced canister type fuel cylinder. This company has moved to a different design incorperating a resealable cartridge.

Yes, Paul is referring to Camping GAZ, which is currently owned by Coleman. They still manufacture the 200/206 cartridge, which is the 190 gram fill puncture-type cartridge, as well as the 270 (220 g of fuel)and 470 (450 g) resealable cartridges. However, Paul is asking about the 106 cartridge, which is half the size (90 g) of the 200/206.

Quote:

... There is however a Czech. company that still manufactures a compatable cylinder and they can often be found at Next Adventure in Portland OR.

Do they manufacture the 100/106 size cartridge, or just the 200/206 cartridge? The stove Paul has (and I have) will take only the smaller cartridge. How can one contact Next Adventure (for us folks not in or close to Oregon)? Do they have a website?

Quote:

... I cant imagine it would be easy to track down fuel all of the time but if you refuse to cut your little stove loose you can still find fuel for it there and perhaps you could ask them about the supplier.

Again, does Next Adventure have the 100-series cartridges or just the 200-series?

They actually only have the 106 cartridge. The one that this Czech company manufactures strangely enough is also slightly smaller in diameter so when you put it into the stove cowl and screw the burner into it there is still a little space left between the canister and th cowl. Not to worry though I"ve had no problems running my stove and there is no sign of fuel leakage. For those of you wondering how to get in touch with next adventure the phone number is 503 233 0706 I dont know if they have a website, I,m close enough that I usually just go to the store.
Cheers.

2:50 a.m. on March 8, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott K
Globetrotter Blues

I kicked my Globetrotter in a lake, about 10 seconds before it blew up. (Sorry about the enviro impact... But i panicked!!) Was not sealed properly. Only had it for about 2 years in the early eighties. I loved how it had to small nesting pots ( still have them). As for the small cartridges, sorry havent seen them in years. My MSR pocket rocket fits easily in the pots. With plenty of room left for my stash err..... or whatever. ;)

10:15 p.m. on May 8, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: from a Stove Polygamist

I just got back from Next Adventure... they DO NOT have the small 100g cannisters. They only have the 190g cannisters, and yes they are made by a Greek company.

HOWEVER here is a thought... this is what I'm going to try to do with my little Globe Trotter stove.

I purchased a Gaz Bleuet S200 stove off Ebay (think I paid $8.00 for it plus shipping) it is the same style as my Globetrotter stove, except it has longer chrome arms to accept the 190g cannister.

When I finish off the last bit of fuel in my Globe Trotter, I'm going to remove the small cannister, remove the short chrome arms, and then get make or have made a second set of the larger arms to fit.

I'll post details of my stove transformation on my website:
http://www.liepoldfarms.com/stove.htm

I just can't bare to get rid of this cute little stove that has served me so well for so many years.

Paul K

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply