getting that rank water smell out of a tent

10:55 p.m. on February 28, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Kate, Kate F

Out of the goodness of my heart, I lent my backpacking tent to a buddy, who used it in the rain for a week (no big deal) but then packed it away to transport it, and didn't take it out to dry for a week.

So... it now has a kind of stinky, mildewy, 'off' scent. I stuck it in the tub and swished it around, but its still kind of rank after airing it outside.

What kind of detergent/cleanser can I use to take the stink out? I don't want to damage the waterproofing on it at all.

Thanks!

6:37 a.m. on February 29, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Try some "woolite"......

the pink liquid detergent for those sexy and lacy unmentionables (not that I would know anything about wearing those three times a week around 7:30 PM).

Just put your tent in the tub (cool water), pour in the liquid detergent, agitate gently and leave it soak for an hour.

Set it up to dry out for a day. You may want to soak a rag with Fabreeze and put it in the tent while it's drying (with the doors and windows zipped up). The nylon may absorb some of the fabreeze odor.

8:32 p.m. on February 29, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Kate, Kate F
thanks!

hmmm... Woolite seems like a good idea. Thanks! it actually got snowed/rained on last night while "drying" outside, and it seemed to help a bit as well, although I don't think its a surefire cure...

11:45 p.m. on April 9, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Randy in Seattle
Re: thanks!

Quote:

hmmm... Woolite seems like a good idea. Thanks! it actually got snowed/rained on last night while "drying" outside, and it seemed to help a bit as well, although I don't think its a surefire cure...

Actually McNett in Bellingham makes something that really works and it's called Mirazyme. It's designed to destink dive wet suits and I've have real good luck desmelling an old tent with it. Usually found in dive shops or maybe directly from McNett...might have to google them or the word mirazyme.
Randy Nelson
Seattle

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply