Tent mesh repair (or tent repair shop in tampa area)

6:55 p.m. on March 19, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello. Yall got a great forum. I am a first time poster.

My friends puppy cut a 1 inch by 1 inch L shaped hole in the mesh screen door of my SD meteor Light tent. I was wondering the most durable/cheap fix for the cut. I am guessing the mesh is easy to worsen the rip or make runs. It doesn't need to be pretty. I don't know if shipping it off is a good idea because I am going to New Zealand in one month and want to bring it along. I looked through the forum archives about tent repair but no one mentioned mesh. Any advice will help.

Thanks,
Paul

6:31 a.m. on March 20, 2006 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

give travel country outdoors in orlando a call.

Bet they know of a place in your area that could help.

Ed
Clermont, Fl

10:50 a.m. on March 22, 2006 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts

The cheapest way to fix it is to get some black silk thread and weave the mesh back together- I've done it several times. If you are carefull, you can't even tell it was ripped.

11:13 a.m. on March 22, 2006 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts

Oh, and I forgot that for a stronger repair you should get a patch of mesh that will cover the rip and then use thread to tie it over top of it. You can get mesh repair from camping or surplus stores around here, also some fabric stores.

Oh, and I love your nic- I've always had a soft spot for Uneedabiscuits... of course, my hiking companions claim that soft spot in in my head ;-)

4:08 p.m. on March 30, 2006 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

One time I got a hole of the same size and shape in the stuff pocket of my Marmot down sweater. That is the pocket that turns inside out so the whole jacket stuffs into it. I used the stuff they use for repairing the soles of running shoes, like Shoe Goo or one of those. I happened to use the clear, but they make it in black. That was over 10 years ago, and the repair is still holding perfectly. That pocket gets stretched quite a lot when the jacket is packed, much more than your mesh door ever will.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply