Gaiter repair.

2:09 a.m. on October 29, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

I have a bit of an odd question. When hiking in the high country with crampons strapped to my feet I have seem to catch the inside of my left leg with my right crampon.

The spikes of the crampon are cutting into my gaiters. I really cannot afford to replace my gaiters every time I hit the trail.

Does anyone have some addvice on how I can correct this issue? I looked for new gaiters but did not see any made from a material that would resist cuts.

Also, I was thinking that mabye if I purchases a set of gaiters with an elastic band toward the bottom that it would help keep my gaiters in closer to my leg thus preventing my right foot from contacting my gaiters.

Does that sound reasonable? Or are there other suggestions out there?

Thank you,
John

9:26 p.m. on October 29, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

John, you didn't say what brand your gaiters are. If you have Outdoor Research gaiters (not likely since you indicate they are cutting easily), OR will repair them for you at nominal cost. The OR Crocodiles have a cordura patch on the inside of the ankle that in my experience is pretty resistant to cutting, and with the velcro front fastening, you can get them pretty tight around the calf and boot top, which cuts way down on catching the crampon points. Then again, you could learn to walk like a friend does, kind of bow-legged so your feet are way apart.

There are some shops that will sew patches onto the gaiters. Or, I would suggest, getting something like the OR Crocs (or Expedition Crocodiles), Mountain Hardware's expedition gaiters, or similar. If you don't have a specialty climbing shop nearby, check out Mountain Gear online (but go to your local shop first).

2:53 a.m. on November 11, 2006 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

John,
If you want to prevent your gaiters from getting cut, buy a pair of OR Expedition Crocs. The entire inside section of the leg is cordura, which is very crampon and ski resistant. i own these, and my friends own the normal crocs. They all have slices in their gaiters, where their crampons have caught, but mine show almost no wear at all. Just thought it might help.
Landon

11:28 p.m. on November 16, 2006 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

It ain't the gaiter! If you are constantly stepping on your other foot with your crampons, I think the problem isn't the gaiters, it's the way you are walking with them.

No, I'm not trying to be a wiseass-I mean it. The same thing applies to snowshoes. Tripping over a crampon can cause a nasty fall and send you head over heels down the hill. If it's only happening on one side, to me that's a sure sign it's how you are walking. It's normal to catch a point every now and then, but if it's happening regularly, it's not just the gaiter that needs fixed.

If possible, have someone videotape you walking and that should show you what is going on. I naturally stand and walk duckfooted so I am very conscious of where I place my feet when I have something strapped on them. When I ski and am just walking in them-getting on the lift and so on, I have to remember to keep my tips parallel, otherwise my tails get crossed. Same idea here. My guess is that you are a little duckfooted and are catching one of the rear points as your foot moves forward. The solution is fairly simple-just spread your feet apart a little further. It may take some practice, but it will be worth it.

It may take some effort to adjust your walk, but doing that will save you a lot of wear and tear on your gear.

5:41 a.m. on December 5, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Thanks folks.

I am sure that some of my problem is my walk. Of course I will try and correct that. But I have been walking this way for several decades, not sure how much correcting I can do.

I also will look into the mentioned crocs and see if that helps.

In a five mile winter hike I will catch my leg two or three times and cut a couple of times. This last time out I caught the inside of both legs. I am not, however, actaully steping on my own feet. I just barely swipe across one leg with the opposite crampon.

I am also wondering if I need thinner/better pants. I have the feeling that the pants that I have are not the best for hiking in. They were advertised as snowboard pants. They are nice and toasty when hiking.

I cannot recall what name of pants I am using. Something that I found in the bargan bin at Campmor.com. Is Black Dot a brand name? If so then I think that is what I have.

I think my gaitors are OR. I only paid around forty bucks for them.

I am at work at this time and can't go an look.

I suppose I can find a patch of material or something simular at a local materials store.

Thank you for the help everyone. If you have furhter comments please do post them and don't worry about my other post on the same subject. (doh!)

Oh yeah, does this forum have email alerts when a post is answered?

Thank you very much,
John

5:10 p.m. on December 7, 2006 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Hi,
I kinda hafat agree with Tom D, its your walk thats not crampon compatible. People learn to walk at a young age as you pointed out and they seldom change except for injury or major body weight change. I was lucky enough to shatter my knee 11 years ago and every muscle below mid thigh had forgotten how to work. I had to teach my toes to wiggle (that was kinda fun - like a baby) and my leg to walk. Now let me tell ya, there are about a trillion ways that any given two legs can walk. When your leg/brain/medula obligata forget that your leg is there, forget the autinomic muscle control. I had to teach my leg/legs to walk again, and I chose a certain stride and knee lift, knee swing, decent angle, follow through and I taught my self to walk that way and thats how I walk now. Very straight and balanced and with a high stride that goes over obsticals - like redwood trees, well maybe not.

Seriously if you plant a tip of those crampons solidy into your leg you are gonna be in big time serious trouble. I'm a rock climber and as a group we are very aware of where are feet are all the time, its a survival thingy... Doesn't precision footwork come into ice climbing, or do you sort of thrash your way up?

Its been shown that you can train humans to do new things and a sports therapist for instance could teach you to move differently while wearing crampons. After only about a month new habits can take over. OR you could line your crampon with titanium from a large pan...
Jim S

7:35 p.m. on December 7, 2006 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Thanks Jim, I didn't think I was completely off base about this. I also found bike riding to be unnatural with step-in pedals-can't ride duckfooted because of the cleats. Try wearing snowshoes a few times. That could help you train your feet because you won't be able to go anywhere in them if you keep crossing your feet-you will trip for sure.

3:36 a.m. on December 10, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Thanks guys.

I am sure you are correct. I returned to RMNP a couple of days past and did much better. However, I did catch my pant leg again.

I am going to have to look for some slimmer pants for winter hiking. I think that will help as well.

-John

1:55 a.m. on December 11, 2006 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Mountain Hardwear FTX Ventigaiter

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=33049201&memberId=12500226

I found these at Campmor. Since I am ordering other items from them as well, I thought I would throw in a pair.

Are they comprable to Crocs?

There are no reveiws listed on under Gear Reviews.

Thank you,
John

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply