Butane stove question: Vargo Jet Ti

9:24 p.m. on December 4, 2006 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I just bought a Vargo Jet Ti Butane/Propane stove. I also bought two 100 g Jet Boil canisters to power the thing. Being an old gasoline stove guy, I'm having a hard time estimating how much boiling I ought to get out of each cannister (?) and wondering wether it's a good idea to use a wind screen with these things?

10:06 p.m. on December 9, 2006 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

How much time you get will to some extent depend on temp and wind factor, so you will have to learn by experience how long a canister will last with your particular stove. Brunton makes a little strip you stick on the canister that is supposed to show how much fuel is left. Never used one, so don't know how accurate it is.

Wind screens-can be used as long as you don't overheat the canister. I suggest an open one (open on one side so that it is more like a windbreak than a true screen. I have seen some screens that are two piece-one sits above the canister as the bottom and the other piece is the wrap around screen. Again, only second hand info here.

Overheating a canister could lead to an explosion, so I would avoid using one unless you know what you are doing.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply