About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

svea 123 fuel

5:35 p.m. on March 17, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Has anyone actually tried useing denatured alcohol in a svea 123 stove?

7:51 p.m. on March 17, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts

Alcohol has been used for priming (put a few drops in the priming cup), and is accepted by Svea (which has gone through ownership by Primus and currently Optimus). But Svea and the successor parent companies strongly advise AGAINST using alcohol as a fuel. The published comments from the companies indicate that there is a significant explosion danger.

That being said, I know of people who have used alcohol in the 123. These people (4 of them) all said the heat output is significantly lower (not surprising if you look at the chemical tables for heat yield for various fuels). None had an actual explosion, but 2 had the safety valve release with the stove in the Sigg cooker set that is designed to be used with the 123. Both suspected the lower vaporization temperature and likely buildup of the pressure (remember, the 123 is heat-pressurized) to higher values than would be obtained with white gas, the recommended fuel.

8:05 p.m. on March 17, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,738 forum posts

I've used methylated spirits (aka "meths")which is denatured alcohol in an XGK. As Bill says, the heat output is far less than white gas (i.e. Coleman fuel, Shellite, etc., NOT unleaded auto gas).

Never tried alcohol in my Svea, but it doesn't sound like a good idea.

8:19 p.m. on March 17, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks for the replys. I do use alcohol for primeing. I will not be trying it in the stove.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply