Tent floor re-coat FWIW

4:18 p.m. on September 20, 2007 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Last year, Blackbeard wrote about re-coating a tent floor with PolyCoat. I was interested because I am getting back to the woods and wondered if I could fix the floor in my old Sierra Designs Wilderness Tent. I could go out and just buy something modern, but I intend to use-up my old equipment. Well, I re-coated the floor on the side opposite the original ( the original came with the waterproofing on the inside so I did the outside), pitched the tent in my backyard and checked the work after a heavy rainstorm. It worked. I am not sure I would count on the work if I were going out for a long trip in tough conditions (re: appropiate for a 3 Season tent) but I think I could get by for a short trip in tame conditions.

12:06 a.m. on September 21, 2007 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I have considered what you have done, that is, coat the outer side. (Originally coating was on the inner surface.)

I have also thought of using very hot water and soap and hand wash wash vigorously in hopes of removing all the old coating and then recoating on the inside.

Probably an undertaking with limited chance of success.

Anyone try to remove peeling urethane coating on nylon?

10:44 a.m. on September 21, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

I found this out quite by accident. Soak your nylon item in a solution of household ammonia cleaner and the urethane coating will be gone in no time flat. I didn't have to peel mine off, the ammonia simply ate it away down to the nylon.

1:10 p.m. on September 21, 2007 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Alan, what proportions of ammonia and water did you use?

10:42 p.m. on September 21, 2007 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Alan, thanks for the lead. Would you recommend straight ammonia. or a solution of ammonia / water?

9:41 p.m. on September 23, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I've heard this works with a 1:1 ratio & gentle scrubbing using a cloth rag, but never having done it myself, don't rightly know.

10:42 p.m. on October 1, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

I was just trying to clean up an old tent, poured some water into a large tub, dumped in maybe two cups of parson's amonia cleaner and stuck the tent into the tub. I came back a half hour later to look at the tent and the coating was completely gone. I had no idea beforehand that this would happen.

9:22 p.m. on November 29, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

My experience with recoating was limited to 1978 REI cagoule. It was a pointless exercise.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply