Coleman 530 Stove

5:43 p.m. on April 15, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hey all, I have an old Coleman 530 backpacker stove. It works more or less but I have problems with surging and that nice helicoptor sound. The only real problem is sometimes a lazy flame come out from the valve cleaner assembly. I have disassembled the whole thing looking for debris and to give it a good cleaning but to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks

6:18 p.m. on April 15, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

I think you can still get the refurb kit for the 530. The problem sounds like either the generator tube is worn or clogged (the jet is/was an integral part of the generator tube and could not be replaced), or possibly you are over-pressurizing the stove. I assume you have done the cleaning trick of running the cable in the generator tube back and forth (I think the 530 allowed you to rotate the tiny L-shaped lever a full 360 deg, so keep spinnig it several times). If that doesn't help, try fewer strokes of the pump. And if those don't work, go to REI and buy a new generator tube (it costs way too much, but if you like the stove, it's worth a try).

One other thing I have seen is dirty fuel or putting kerosene in a stove with the Coleman Fuel jet or vice versa. But I would expect you have already thought of that.

9:29 p.m. on April 15, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks Bill. Yes the L shaped lever (what I called the valve cleaner) will go 360 deg and I have spun the bugger a million times. I had cleaned and refilled the tank with brand new fuel (no kerosene, just plain camp fuel). So I guess that leaves over pressurizing, it calls for 25-30 pumps to begin and I have used 25 from empty. NOw what is REI?

Thanks again.

1:31 a.m. on April 16, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Farley, REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.) is a large outdoor retailer with stores across the country as well as an online retail website. REI sells a wide variety of quality outdoor clothing and gear from many different brands, plus their own REI "house brand" of various products.

11:18 a.m. on April 16, 2008 (EDT)
62 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

For a small fee you can send it to Coleman and they will completely re furbish it basically for the cost of a kit that you would have to buy. I have had them refurbish several of my favorite stoves and they do a "great" job.
Go online and get their 800number and the will give you the address to send it to. It takes about 2-3 weeks.
Good Luck

11:24 a.m. on April 16, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks guys, do they still do refurbs on stoves that old? It was a WW2 army issue stove.

11:32 a.m. on April 16, 2008 (EDT)
62 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

they seem to have a bunch of parts squirreled away. But when you call them they will be able to tell you over the phone.

5:49 p.m. on April 16, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks, I called Coleman of Canada and it turns out that one of the 2 repair shops they use is about a 15 min walk from my place here in Ottawa.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply