About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Warrantee for Quest Thermolite sleeping bad

11:38 a.m. on October 29, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

My son's not-yet-a-year-old green and black Quest Thermolite sleeping bag has a split zipper. I believe it cost about $80. How do I contact Quest to see if there is a warrantee? Or should I just trying taking it back to Dick's Sporting Goods where it was originally purchased?

Thanks for any advice.

11:52 a.m. on October 29, 2008 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
116 forum posts

How do I contact Quest to see if there is a warrantee? Or should I just trying taking it back to Dick's Sporting Goods where it was originally purchased?

Green,

I also own a Quest Thermolite sleeping bag. The zipper does unzip from both the top and bottom of the bag. Is that what you're referring to?

If the zipper is defective, I think after 30 days you might be out of luck with returning it to Dick's. However, Quest is a Dick's brand, so they might end up giving you store credit.

12:00 p.m. on October 30, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Unfortunately, by split I mean that the zipper will not stay together when zipped. Is Quest made by Dick's? I appreciate your time in answering me.

Thanks.

12:23 p.m. on October 30, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Jean,
Sometimes you can repair a non-hooking zipper by using a pair of pliers to (gently!) squeeze the sides of the pull slightly closer together. The problem is often caused by wear (both metal and plastic zippers), although your comment indicates it is quite new. So it could be a manufacturing defect.

Before you try that, though, take the bag back to the store where you bought it and explain in detail to the store manager (not some low-end clerk) how new the bag is (have the receipt with you) and at what point the problem showed up (first campout? after just 2 or 3 nights of use?).

I am only slightly familiar with Dick's, since we do not have them out here on the Left Coast. My vague recollection is that they are part of Sports Authority. In any case, they are one of the Big Box Store genre that tends to sell cheap, low quality gear that is ok for occasional use, but not for serious outdoor use. Such stores do sell some good quality gear, though often the lower end of the line. For example, my local SportMart (recently changed to the parent company name Sports Authority) does sell Nike shoes for a number of sports, though not the top end of the line. Their hiking boots, sleeping bags, and tents are pretty mediocre, though. I got some dumbells from them (hey, what could go wrong with dumbells - you only use them for weight training, after all), and found the two 20 pounders, for example, were 18 and 21 pounds (close enough for my use, but still...

More important for you, such stores tend to have poor return policies - a good reason to go to REI and EMS, with their much much better return policies, if you are on a budget and need or want to buy inexpensive gear.

12:34 p.m. on October 30, 2008 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
116 forum posts

Unfortunately, by split I mean that the zipper will not stay together when zipped. Is Quest made by Dick's? I appreciate your time in answering me.

Green,

Quest is a private label brand for Dick's. Sleeping bags sold at Dick's are made by several manufacturers including Northpole, HKD, etc.

From what I understand, Dick's has a 30-day warranty, and these manufacturers usually have a 90-day warranty period. I doubt Dick's would accept a return if it's been almost a year since you bought the bag, but I would still give it a try. They may give you store credit.

Check the tags on your sleeping bag. If it says it was manufactured by Northpole, or if it is a helix or polaris model, you should call Northpole at 800-775-1965.

Best bet would be to upgrade your son's bag. From what I hear, this Christmas shopping season will be deluged with discounts and sales across all retailers. I've noticed that several on-line outdoor retailers are already flashing Holiday sales up to 60% off on a lot of their merchandise.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply