Sleeping bag repair

3:22 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Hello All,

I have a down sleeping bag question. I have two little nicks in my down sleeping bag that are letting feathers escape. Anyone have any good ideas as to what to use to patch these? Thanks for any help!

3:35 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Maybe the nylon tape would work. Basically it's ripstop nylon with adhesive on one side and comes in strips about 2" wide. You might want to hand stitch around the edges to keep the tape from coming off. It's not a perfect solution, but it would work. REI sells the stuff.

3:53 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

A couple drops from a hot glue stick works for me.
Shoe goo as well, and may be safer for your bag fabric depending on what you have.

7:15 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Hey,

Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated. The outer shell is 100% nylon and I did give shoe goo a thought, I have some in the cupboard. I was afraid to try it. I got a real good deal on the bag when I bought it a few years back but it was very expensive before the sale so am timid of what is safe to use. I wouldn't want to lose loft from loss of down either so need to use something. The outfitters here suggested duct tape or seam sealer but unless the sealer is thickish I don't see it plugging the nicks. I thought maybe clear duct tape may be my last resort. I'm not sure how the tape will stand up to constant stuffing. I will have a look for the nylon tape here in Canada, surely we must have it kicking around somewhere. Thanks again!

7:43 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

DO NOT use duct tape for this, it will not stick for long and will leave a revolting goop on your bag. Simply call the bag maker and request that they send you a scrap of the shell material and then sew the hole shut with care, using nylon thread. A dab of "Speed Sew" to hold the patch first works well and make SURE to hotcut the patch and make it ROUND so it will be less prone to fray.

Do not use nail polish, shoo goo or anything like this; the ripstop tape is found in "Canadian Tire", MEC and elsewhere. It IS a good temporary fix, but, a sewn patch is best.

What make of bag is this, as some makers will do repairs for you, always the best option.

8:00 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

The bag is Eusebio Sport Chamonix (-18). It is the only one I have seen by this name in these parts. I have the info card but there is no website or e-mail address on it, I purchased it at a local outfitters. I will contact the retailer in hopes that maybe they have info on the company. Thanks for the advice kutenay.

P.S. How do I hotcut the patch?

8:21 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Eusebio is a mid-quality Italian maker, just go to a fabric store and buy a small swatch of nylon fabric OR contact that outfit in Idaho, Google "outdoor fabrics", IIRC, nice folks who can help you.

To hotcut, simply use a thin end on an electric soldering iron and lay the material on an clean board...no paint, obviously...and cut it into a small circle. Lightly glue it on, let it dry and sew it neatly and tightly.

I have a VERY costly "Double Duvet" down jacket from Richard Egge of Switzerland which I bought in 1974 and it cost over a week's wages. So, one afternoon, I foolishly wore it into a local bar, after coming home from a several day trek into our local glacier on "misery slippers".

Some inebriated guttersnipe burned a hole in the sleeve with his cigarette and so I had to repair it. I did as above and took the material from it's stuff sack, fortunately made of the same fabric and it is still a good repair, some 34+ years later, after a lot of hard use in sub-zero weather.

This parka has the FINEST, pure white down I have ever seen and I have had and examined a LOT of high end gear; it is one of those gear items that so strongly influenced me toward my philosophy of buying the very best as it is FAR cheaper in the long term and usually works much better all the time. HTH, this is easy to do.

9:34 a.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Hi Kutenay,

I get the hotcut now. I have never done that before but it doesn't appear too hard! My bag does come with a compression sac of the same colour and material. It could be in my best interest to get a new sac and keep that one for repairs, hopefully I will not need anymore. I can't figure how I nicked it, I am very careful with my gear. Five years ago the real price tag was about $340.00. It was expensive to me at that time. The only reason I got it then was because it was half price, end of season. I bet the price of your duvet would make my naturally straight hair curl. LOL Thanks to all who took the time to give advice, it is helpful as always and greatly appreciated!

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply