About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Backpack stitching

9:32 a.m. on January 23, 2009 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I just bought a backpack on the cheap. Its an external frame, and looks to be around 4000 ci. The only marking on it is, Voyager nylon bag. made in Korea.
My concern is the stitching. As it is only single running stitched. Should I put in another stitch to keep from ripping out? I ask this becouse I plan to be hauling 35-40 Lbs. And if it rips out on the trail it would be a bummer to say the least. Would another stitch weeken the nylon?

1:34 p.m. on January 23, 2009 (EST)
133 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

You might be surprised at how strong even a single line of stitching can be. However, if you bought a cheap enough pack, that might not be on your list of worries after carrying it a while.
Wait until it starts to fray and then do the stitch in time ;-)
Borrow a heavy needle, some stronger thread, and a thimble to push it through. That way you will be prepared for the wrath of the Korean pack gods.

You may have to find something like an empty pen to put the needle in so that it doesn't damage anything else (like a thermarest).

Stitching shouldn't weaken the nylon; hand stitching is often much stronger than any machine and it adds character to your gear ;-)

2:22 p.m. on January 23, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

You can also add a bead of glue like Elmers to the whole stitching inside and out that will re-enforce the stiches and make them last longer.

3:01 p.m. on January 23, 2009 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks for the replies.
I will be carefull not to offend the Korean pack gods. :D
Glue! Good idea! I'll find some for cloth.
I have loaded it and it feels pretty good. Doesnt shift like I thought it might. Just need to get through one season. Then buy a better one if I dont like this one.

11:14 a.m. on January 24, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

any elmers glue will work

7:44 a.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Well I found a glue. Its Elmers Ultimate Glue. Its a polyurethane. I opened the inside flaps on the sewn seams and applied a small amount. I have a feeling that the seams may now out last the rest of the pack. I also glued in a small patch of carpet to protect the pack from the ends of my tent poles.

This glue seems to work great. Has anyone used this stuff before?

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply