seam tape dryer mishap

10:42 p.m. on February 22, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

hello all, has anyone had the misfortune to let someone else wash and OVER dry their rain gear? can the tape be removed ( it's wadded up around the shoulder of both sleaves) and replaced? is the garment a loss?

3:42 p.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

With age my old NF goretex anorak began to shed its seam tape.I returned the garment to NF and they replaced all the seam tape at no charge!If your jacket is a "good"brand contact them and ask if this can be replaced or repaired under warrenty.

1:11 p.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Depending on what brand, you might contact the manufacturer. The top quality manufacturers (Wild Things, Integral Designs, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, and even The North Face, and maybe even Columbia) have warranty and repair departments that can do a pretty good job in repairing the garments. Some of them have a replacement program if the garment is too badly worn (I just had a 10 year old shell replaced for basically the shipping cost, after it had been in the Alaska Range a half dozen times, including up Denali, Antarctica, Kilimanjaro, a number of Cascades peaks, backcountry ski tours in the Tetons, Colorado Rockies, Wasatch, Sierra, climbing in the Dolomites and Swiss and French Alps - in other words, lots of wear - just called the warranty department, explained the situation, got an RMA, sent it in, and had the new one a couple of weeks later). The top quality gear may cost more at the start, but the quality and service end up being cheaper in the long run. Now, if you bought a store brand, you may be out of luck.

By the way, using a machine dryer at more than the coolest settin will not only make the seam tape come off, but will delaminate the waterproof/breathable fabrics themselves.

2:32 p.m. on February 25, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

it is a cheaper brand but it's one of those pieces of gear i really like. ihave other shells but i'd really love to save this one. the lamination is still good and i wore it the other day and it's still dry inside. i'm tempted to use my seam sealer for tents on it and just wear it til it leaks.

12:31 p.m. on February 26, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Before seam taping became common, we used to use SeamSeal or SeamGrip on the seams of our waterproof outer layers (Goretex garments originally came with a little tube of SeamSeal for you to do it yourself).

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply