Replacement hip belt and shoulder straps for Alpenlite External Frame

8:05 p.m. on April 5, 2009 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I have backpacked over 40 years with my Alpenlite External frame backpack (STD). The pin-held belt and shoulder straps have become stiff again after being replaced 18 years ago. I have searched usual vendors but cannot find these items listed to fit my Alpenlite. Do any of you have suggestions as to where I could find them? Thank you.

9:54 a.m. on April 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Your best bet may be to get something from Kelty and try to jury rig the pieces to your frame. Option B is to buy an Alpinlite from ebay soley to get the hip belt and shoulder straps. The packs show up with some regularity.

7:32 p.m. on April 6, 2009 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks, Alan;

Now that you mention it, I also recall that Kelty uses similar fastening points. I appreciate your input. I'll follow it up.

Rod

11:34 a.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

rod

i have an alpenlite wrap around frame pack that i am wanting to sell. it is a size small has a good hipbelt and shoulder straps with a very nicely made frostline packbag. let me know if this is of interest to you.

dan

4:48 p.m. on May 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I have an Alpenlite Pac-Eze Back Pack that I bought in 1979. It is missing one of the black plastic/rubber round pieces that go on to the top or bottom of the main tubes. There are four of these but I have only three. They are appx. 1 inch in circumference. Can anybody help?

11:47 a.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

You might take a look in a hardware store. I'd guess you'd have a hard time finding an original.

1:40 a.m. on May 20, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Those were such great packs.

10:45 p.m. on May 20, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Good news. I will be in the possession of a second Alpenlite Pack and will take some (to most people) of those unnecessary black plastic pieces and then put the pack up for sale. Let me know if any of you are interested.

5:46 p.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

In case someone still needs replacement options for waistbelt and shoulder straps:

http://outdooroutlet.com/shopping.php?pg=products&cat=16

http://tinyurl.com/kspq7g

12:24 a.m. on June 30, 2009 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for the help- The sites looked promising and I will do some further research- going to Mt Whitney on a 6 dayer in September and need 'em.

4:34 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I just spent 10 days hiking in Colorado with my Alpenlite external frame pack, also purchased in the 1970s. Even after 35 years it is still fully functional, all original, and easily the most comfortable pack that I have ever carried.

12:25 a.m. on July 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

As a result of this discussion, I went onto ebay and bought another "vintage" Alpenlite external frame pack for about $45. (I find it hard to think of something that I bought new in the 1970s as being "vintage", but I guess that comes with age.) I bought the new pack thinking of my children using it and also potentially for replacement parts. It turns out that this pack is smaller than the one that I already own (pictured above) but it's otherwise almost identical. That's fine, actually, since the one that I own is huge. The new one is a more reasonable size for trips of a few days, especially as I age and learn to pack smaller and lighter. There's just something about the contour of these frames and the design of the hip straps that is amazing. I've never seen another pack designed this way, and I really can't imagine why.

6:09 p.m. on July 17, 2009 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hi Rod: REI used to carry their own brand of straps and hip belt replacements. I bought a hip belt for my sons BP years ago and it worked out fine; size small, pin and ring attachment. plenty soft, but did the job. Send measurements and it's yours cheap if it fits. Also any competent sewer should be able to open up your staps and belt and replace the padding with what ever you like: medium to high density closed cell foam for example. When making my own gear I prefer a good grade of 1/2" foam carpet padding that can be picked up from the scraps of any good carpet installer for free, usually.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply