Repair bits for Katadyn Hiker Pro Filter

6:05 p.m. on April 14, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

The dog chewed up not just my homework, but also some of the exposed bits of my water filter, a Katadyn Hiker Pro. All that got chewed was a bit of the silicon tubing and a couple of plastic male quick-connect fittings.

In scouring the Katadyn website, one can find all sorts of replacement cartridges, etc., but not the tubing and, especially, the fittings. Went by three hardware stores and completely struck out on the fittings there, too. Have emailed Katadyn (twice), but have yet to receive a response.

Anybody got any suggestions?

12:43 a.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Man, that's tough! I'll ask around.

Try tying the dog up with the tubing for a couple days and see if he/she decides to avoid it in the future. (aversive conditioning joke)

12:44 a.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Okay...I wasn't totaly joking.

12:51 a.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Aw, she didn't really mean nuthin' by it. It's jest that ever oncet a while she has to test out her choppers by chewin' on sumthin, an' Ah left it down whar even a three-legged, overweight dachsund with astigmatism coulda got hold of it.

3:06 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Good news. The Katadyn customer service folks got back to me, and they seem willing to send me replacement bits for the chewed-up fittings.

I love good customer service!

7:13 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Good deal!

I really appreciate good customer service as well.

(yeah...you didn't say it was your fault) HaHa

My wife used to have a Dachsund, neat little dogs.

9:48 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Actually, trouthunter, I DID tell 'em it was 'cause my dog chewed 'em up. Didn't matter. In fact, the custserv rep suggested that maybe they were missing out on the chew toy market....

As for dachsunds, I've never really made friends with one. They and chihuahuas both seem to be breeds that for whatever reason are genetically predisposed to nip at my heels.

12:17 a.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

The repair bits arrived today. Looks like I've got exactly what I need. Thumbs up for Katadyn customer service.

6:02 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Glad to hear Katadyn came through for you. I have said water filter as well and will remember to do same if I lose any pieces. Thanks for posting.

9:18 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

I still have my old PUR Hiker filter and it's been thru a bunch of cartridges and two broke pump handles, one fixed with a long wood screw thru the palm handle down into the pump shaft, etc etc. I should of emailed them but heck, I went to a backpacking store and told them about the broken pump handle and the guy went out back and gave me a new pump handle.

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply