Moss tent question (2 man - Stargazer?)

12:52 p.m. on October 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have an old 2 man freestanding Moss tent...based on some Google images, I believe that it's a Stargazer.

My first question: how do I determine what model tent this is?

My second question:

Since I'm not an avid camper, and now have 3 kids, this tent has seen very little use and has been in storage for several years. Before packing them away, I have always brushed off and thoroughly dried tents that I've owned. However this tent was sticky and smelly when I set it up last weekend. Since the stickiness was only on the red floor fabric, the pole pockets and one side of the fly, I assume that it's from the coating on this fabric.

Line drying the tent and fly has reduced the smelliness, but the stickiness still remains. I don't want to throw it in a front loader, as I suspect that's not a good thing for these tents - even with Woolite. Are there tips for reducing the stickiness on old Moss tents?

Thanks,

J.P.

9:51 p.m. on October 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Take a look here... You may see a picture of your moss tent. http://lazily.net/ The link to the site was shared with me from one of the members here on the site.

-Ed

4:47 p.m. on October 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

JPTL, welcome to the forum. Check out this thread for a discussion of off gassing: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/classifieds/topics/51571.html#59926

Once the urethane coating has reached the sticky phase, there is nothing that reverses the decomposition. Before it gets really sticky, I have found that a treatment with MiraZyme(an enzyme-based odor eliminator) made by McNett, reduces the odor and tackiness; and is said to stop mildew growth.

5:24 p.m. on October 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the replies.

Ed, the image of the 1992 Stargazer looks about right.

adman, thanks for the info/link. Fortunately, there's been no visible deterioration of the fabric and the smell has subsided considerably after I let the tent air for a day. It's still somewhat sticky, but not as bad as before. I might try your MiraZyme suggestion.

7:14 p.m. on October 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

If you don't find MiraZyme at a regular sporting goods retailer, try a dive shop; I use Myrazyme to clean and freshen my wet suits. See if you can find a mesh duffel to store your tent in; the urethane coating will only continue to decompose in the absence of oxygen. Considering that a Stargazer listed for $455 new, and one recently sold for $1550 on eBay, it pays to take good care of your equipment.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply