Best boot laces?

11:27 p.m. on October 20, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

Okay,

I've been through two pair of boot laces this year already, both were laces that came from the boot manufacturer.

Do you guys / gals have a favorite aftermarket boot lace maker / supplier?

This may sound petty, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something I'm not aware of.

2:36 a.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

I once substituted rubbercoated electric wire for boot laces. One thing about them is they always stayed tight and did not freeze together making them hard to untie.

9:27 a.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

Not petty at all, Trouthunter. You need your shoes to stay on!

I don't have a favorite after-market lace maker, but I've noticed that I prefer the laces that have come on my La Sportiva boots and running shoes. If you prefer ones from a certain footwear brand, check and see if the brand also sell laces individually.

1:41 p.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Accessory cord works just fine for boot laces. Better in fact than most of the "official" laces. Cut to length (your preference instead of the manufacturers' "standard" sizes), fuse the end, and you have the perfect boot laces. Oh, yeah, we used to call this "parachute cord" before it came in multiple pretty colors.

9:16 p.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Accessory cord works just fine for boot laces. Better in fact than most of the "official" laces. Cut to length (your preference instead of the manufacturers' "standard" sizes), fuse the end, and you have the perfect boot laces. Oh, yeah, we used to call this "parachute cord" before it came in multiple pretty colors.

Beat me to it OGBO... Good call.

9:40 p.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

Well, I don't like pretty colors, but I will be glad to try some traditional para cord.

(kicking myself for not thinking of that)

I can fuse the cord while baking on my Whisperlite, (multi-use)

10:17 p.m. on October 22, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

While i do like brite pretty colors,mostly on mid winter trips,they are not ness.Like Bill i have found prefered cord that works and lasts much longer than store bought laces.ymmv

7:28 a.m. on October 23, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Yes, military 550 cord is the best, but it's a little difficult to find sometimes. Don't get that imitation 'para-cord" crap. It'll fray and pull the first time you come in contact with anything w/ thorns. Real 550, or parachute, cord is the stuff that has 7 white (twisted) strands running through the center.

http://www.itstactical.com/2009/07/14/550-cord-bootlaces/comment-page-1/#comment-2479

And HERE is the best way to tie non-gutted 55o cord so it doesn't keep coming loose:

4:57 p.m. on October 23, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

Thanks for the links f klock,

I think I still have some black & white para cord around somewhere.

I probably should get some fresh cord though.

7:07 p.m. on November 1, 2009 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I think Kevlar laces are far superior. I have never had any break on me. They can be hard to keep tied though.

9:57 p.m. on November 2, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I think Kevlar laces are far superior. I have never had any break on me. They can be hard to keep tied though.

This, as I said above, will help.

6:33 a.m. on November 3, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

steven said:

This, as I said above, will help.

Yep, I've already tried this type of knot after f_klock posted that link, the knot does work quite well.

12:59 a.m. on November 5, 2009 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I change laces in my shoes immediatly upon buying them if they have round laces in them. Those things are completly useless and come untied all the time. I buy flat laces by the foot at REI or other outdoor stores.

12:33 a.m. on November 15, 2009 (EST)
24 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

My original asolo laces gave up the ghost recently and i replaced them with Sterling laces - outfitter said this is the same company that makes climbing rope (im not a climber, so i took their word) - can't make any claims since i haven't had them long, but they feel very stout and slide thru eyelets like butter - never thought i'd pay 7.00 bucks for shoe laces, but i guess i can use them to rappel in a pinch

3:46 p.m. on November 15, 2009 (EST)
24 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

forgot to mention that while they are semi-slick and slide thru eyelets incredibly smooth, they are flat/elliptical (but not too wide) so they do not come untied just using a plain "bow" knot - have worn them long enough to confirm that

11:43 p.m. on November 21, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

"parachute cord" in red.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply