About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Gear Repair/Maintenance Service Recommendations: Share Them Here

4:24 p.m. on November 13, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,916 forum posts

Broke your tent zipper? Need to resole your favorite backpacking boots? Want your ice screws professionally sharpened?

In a post below, share your recommendations for companies and individuals who repair and maintain outdoor gear.

Be sure to state the name and location of the repair shop or individual, their expertise, and any other relevant information.

No advertising or promotions, please. This thread is strictly for costumers to recommend gear repair and maintenance services to fellow outdoorspeople. If you have a professional affiliation with a company or individual, please refrain from posting.

HINT: CLICK ON REPLY (not Quick Reply) BELOW AND PUT THE NAME AND EXPERTISE IN YOUR POST'S NEW HEADER.

1:10 p.m. on November 18, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Steve Komito at "Komito Boots" in Estes Park , CO. 80517 (970-586-5391) Has been specializing in the repair of Hiking Boots, X-C Ski Boots, Rock Shoes and Technical Mountaineering Boots for over 40 years. He has a great choice of all the latest hiking boot soles and sticky rock shoe soling. He has also been an active rock climber and mountaineer for 45 years, so he knows the importance of doing a good job.

2:52 p.m. on November 19, 2009 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Campmor's retail store has a seamstress M-F. I don't think they repair stoves and lanterns anymore but they used to be able to fix anything.

5:24 p.m. on December 12, 2009 (EST)
35 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Repairing a Jetboil in Five easy steps!

My Jetboil Piezo starter wire was broken from abusive over use:

Step One: Twist off the burner head counterclockwise from the base; you will hear a click and the base will separate from the valve assembly.

Step Two: Pull the plastic base straight away from the burner head, they should easily separate. Remove the piezo starter from the bottom of the plastic base with a pen; it is a brilliant press fit that rests against the central unit.

Step Three: trim the wire insulation to 2x the length of the Ceramic insulation sticking above the stove head. I used an exacto knife and rolled the wire at the edge of the table to cut around the sleeve. Pull off the insulation you just cut and discard it.

Step Four: Reinstall turning the burner head clockwise till the unit locks to the base and trim the wire. The base only fits one way. (simplifying things immensely)

Step Five: Bend the starter wire over the ceramic insulation towards the nearest burner hole and test. It should fire up just like new. There should be enough wire left to repair around 4 more times before buying one of the replacement piezo starters that the company also provides! meaning that this stove is completely maintainable! I recently uprated this stove as 5 stars because of this great feature!

This repair took less than 10 minutes! My jetboil now works like new!

(dont ask how hard it was to take a picture of the spark! lets just say relentless persistence pays off!)

Thanks for reading this DIY Repair post.

Scott McClarin.

4:01 p.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
1 forum posts
Tent Pole Repair

So a year or two ago, I bought the best tent for heavy rains, which we get a lot of around here, but it came with the worst poles ever. Barely even fibreglass. They worked for a handful of trips and then shattered into many, many pieces. Repair? Not happening. Unfortunately, the company was no longer making that tent and so no longer had poles available. I couldn't find them anywhere online, I took the poles to REI and their reaction was "....not sure this can be... no, we can't fix this." I wasn't too surprised. The poles were dead, dead, dead...

I decided to try ordering new ones from a website I found, www.polesforyou.com and I am totally glad I did. Despite the fact that my poles were very weird lengths and sizes, Tom got the information he needed from me to make me some new poles. Not the same as the old ones - better. Definitely better. It was pretty cheap, too - for the two long poles I needed built it was $27, which makes me a lot happier than getting a new tent. He built them super fast and shipped them out quickly, in very safe packaging... So I guess the bottom line of my review is:
If you can't fix your poles and can't find new ones nearby... have these people build them, because they ROCK. Don't waste materials by buying a new tent unless you have to. Conservation rules!

4:12 p.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Hi Captain237

The best tent came with the worst poles?

Which tent did you get?

Glad you got the poles replaced!

3:06 a.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Asolo in the states:

Dave Page Cobbler (www.davepagecobbler.com) in Seattle

Recommended by Asolo and meets their design standards.

3:13 a.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey trouthunter....best tent for what? lol, then again even if it wasn't standing & kept ya from going hypo(thats another story for another time, awe the memories).... I agree with captain. They made a new(aluminum)set of poles for me for my Solitaire. They do good work. I hate fiberglass.... its rubbish. Thank god for evolution.

11:15 a.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts
Re: Tent Pole Repair

So a year or two ago, I bought the best tent for heavy rains, which we get a lot of around here, but it came with the worst poles ever. Barely even fibreglass. They worked for a handful of trips and then shattered into many, many pieces. Repair? Not happening..."

Best tent for heavy rains apparently.

I would like to know which tent. Just curious.

1:04 p.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I 2nd that. I want to know too.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply