Recycling MSR fuel containers?

8:00 p.m. on November 30, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

"Frank, Where I can recycle MSR backpacking fuel canisters?

...email I received today. Any ideas folks? I'm curious, myself.

11:20 p.m. on November 30, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

Aluminum or steel? Either could be recycled at a local recycling center could'nt they?

11:53 p.m. on November 30, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Coleman includes a little thing that looks like a can opener with their stoves, at least with the Xtreme they used to sell, to puncture the canister, then just pop it into the recycling bin. The Colemans are aluminum.

7:48 a.m. on December 1, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Received this from the manu....Empty the cartridge COMPLETELY, puncture the side w/ a knife or similar object and let it sit for an hour or more, crush and recycle w/ other recyclables.

From my local Department of solid waste mgmt office: Do NOT simply throw empty containers into the recycling bin. Mistakenly recycling partially full containers could be disastrous!

8:14 a.m. on December 1, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,991 forum posts

Coleman includes a little thing that looks like a can opener with their stoves, at least with the Xtreme they used to sell, to puncture the canister, then just pop it into the recycling bin. The Colemans are aluminum.

At summer Outdoor Retailer, Jetboil gave me a similar gadget they were working on. They wanted to bring attention to the fact that you can recycle canisters. It didn't have a name yet though and I can't find info on it on their website. I'll ask about it.

12:52 p.m. on December 1, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Depends on your local recycling center. Here in Palo Alto, you can put empty fuel canisters in the "blue" roll-around (for the "mixed recyclables" - "green" is "yard trimmings", "black" is garbage and trash). The City contracts with GreenWaste, which handles garbage for many California cities. GreenWaste handles things differently in different cities, per their contracts. In some cities, they take leftover plant food (compostable) in the "blue" can, but not in Palo Alto. Here they take any plastic bags, but stuff all the bags in one bag so they don't blow around.

Their recommendation is as f_klock said, puncture and let sit for an hour, plus they prefer crushing it so it occupies less space. If you are too lazy to do the venting, you can take it to the city's monthly Hazardous Waste Day, which also takes propane bottles of all sizes (including the really large ones that the tailgaters use) and left-over cans of white gas. Then again, the Hazardous Waste Day means driving to the location and waiting in your car in a long line (DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR! WE WILL HANDLE THE WASTE! - ummm, how did I get it in the car in the first place???).

12:25 p.m. on December 3, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Use a church key . Put several openings along the bottom sides.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/556372763fTgNJn

1:46 p.m. on December 3, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Church key? What's a "church key? We don' need no stinkin' church key. Just pull the tab, or poke a hole with the ice ax, or break off the neck of the bottle.

As Alicia said, Jetboil gave out some samples of an "official gas canister puncturer" at the OR Show. Unfortunately, I didn't get one myself. In the meantime, I just use a rock unless I am climbing, then I use an ice tool.

5:34 a.m. on December 22, 2009 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I empty mine right out then take them outside and pucture with a nail -facing away from me then into the steel re cycling bin

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply