Retired tent

10:04 a.m. on January 19, 2010 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

So you have a tent that has served you well, But finaly the UVs have done it in. What do you do with it? Its fiberglass poles have never failed, all loops and tie offs are in good shape. Do you cut it up and use the good for repair parts? Or just toss it out in the dump? I would hate to do ether of these things, but I just dont have the room to keep it around. What do you do?

I just got a new base tent that is about the same size. The poles are a total of 5" shorter. And though they are the same dia the new ones have more flex to them. The old tent was 7x7 new tent 7x6 about the same head room. Should I cut the old poles down? If so, what would be the best way to do that?

10:27 a.m. on January 19, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I would suggest checking with your local recycling agency... Lots of stuff can be recycled that you ordinarily don't think of as such.

2:53 p.m. on January 19, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Depending on how good some of the material from the old tent is you could always cut the fabric into sections and make your own stuff sacks.

The mesh could be used for repair material for your new tent.

As far as the poles I personally would just save them. Ya never know what can happen in the future and the sections may come in handy.

7:15 p.m. on January 19, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Also you could ask your local Boy Scout Troop I f they can use the poles & stakes if you decide to get rid of those. The poles are also handy for setting up tarps etc.

When I have cut fiberglass poles in the past I used a hacksaw and scored the pole all the way around before cutting the pole in two.

8:13 p.m. on January 19, 2010 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks Tom, Rick and Trout. It is like leting go of a very good friend. I think I'll keep most of it in one way or the other. Stuff sacks, cut the poles down. I'll recycle most of it myself. :)

9:46 p.m. on January 19, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Maybe we should say a few words, my condolences.

(I know what it's like)

What brand was the tent?

12:53 a.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I'm right there with ya Mike, many miles, many memories. I have so much stuff in my little back country dungeon. Every once on a while I think the wife is gonna have a coronary. Alot of it still can be used(although some of it reminds me of a Frankenstein flick)and is still functional.

I always have friends that will give me a call when the weatherman says "no rain for a week" in the summer that get the itch to go out and I normally lend this gear out.

Alot of them are inexperienced but in groups so if they totally destroy it to the point where repair isn't an option, no harm no foul. Plus it gives them the chance to get out and have the experiences that last a lifetime.

9:21 a.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Yes I know she didnt cost much, but she served without complaint. There was a time she was more than just a tent, it was my home. Held up to me living in it for a year. It was there when I needed her. In her prime I would have stacked her up against very pricier tents, and did. She stood strong and firm, taking on wind, snow, and driving rains. Ten years and she never failed once.. Now in her twilight years I will take her apart, make stuff sacks, use the mesh, poles and the floor. And from time to time pictures will be posted of her. Not as a tent, but part of my gear. Heres to an old faithful girl, that in some way or form will still be by my side for another ten years.

1:55 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Floor is now a footprint for my 2 man tent. Poles have been recut to fit carcamping tent. Fiberglass poles are not all the same, as the 2 tents had the same dia poles, the poles on the older tent were much more dense and harder to cut. The newer poles were softer and had more flex to them. I cut them down for the larger hoop at the front of the 2 maner. The storage pockets on the inside of the tent are now mesh sacks to carry firstaid stuff and repair kits. I'm working on using the rest of the tent. I want to thank all for the inspiration on recycling this tent myself. Now what to do with the zippers?

2:01 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Now what to do with the zippers?

I would donate them to a home for retired erotic dancers.

2:09 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

LOL

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply