Can I move my rocker, or am I off my rocker?

10:36 p.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey guys,

It seems as though 'wondering' and 'wandering' go hand in hand, at least for me it does. As I was out walking my dog today I wore an older pair of Scarpa's I have. I noticed a difference in the placement of the rocker in the Scarpa's compared to the placement in my Alico's.

In the older boots it sits a bit closer to the toe of the boot, in my Alico's it seems to sit slightly farther back.

My question is, not knowing exactly how that part of the boot is constructed, can the placement of the rocker be adjusted during re-soleing? Or is it just part of the way the boot is made?

Or, if I'm going to be picky, will I just need custom boots?

I'm hoping some of you guys can answer this question for me.

Thanks.

1:47 p.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

trout,

If you are going to be that picky, get thee to a custom bootmaker!

Actually, when resoling, it depends on the skill of the boot shop. The Rubber Room in Bishop, CA, says they will do a wide range of adjustments, as does my local cobbler (an old guy from Italy, even older than me, who I am always afraid is going to die so I have to find someone new to keep my shoes and boots repaired).

2:21 p.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thanks Bill,

Are you familiar with the history on Alicosport? It is my understanding that they (the family business) have been around for quite a while, my only real complaint is the tongue construction, as it is not one piece, it has a gusset sewed in with leather that appears to be lining leather.

I have been really happy with the fit I have with their wide width, for once I have really good fit in the toe box. Heel lock is also good for me.

9:08 p.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

trout,

I am not familiar with Alico. However, the idea of a full width lining leather gusset for the boot tongue, sewn at both sides of the front opening of the boot, with a padded tongue sewn on the front, has certain advantages, such as doing a good job of keeping water, dust, sand, etc out of the boot and presenting a smooth surface to the front of the ankle and upper foot. Or are you saying that there is a complete tongue with lining leather gussets sewn on either side of the tongue to connect to the upper boot (i.e., 3 components - gusset-tongue assembly-gusset)? If it is well done, that should work fairly well also.

5:58 p.m. on February 17, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thanks for the reply Bill,

The tongue & gusset are made of a single piece of lining leather (same as scree collar) that has been doubled up. There is padding sandwiched between the two layers of lining leather, and FGL patches stitched to the front. The tongue / gusset assembly is stitched to the outside of the boot, then covered with more FGL where the lacing rings are riveted in.

6:24 p.m. on February 17, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I have had boots with this style of tongue and can not see why there would even be a perceived issue with it.It is a very good design.Even boots with sewn in gussets have served me well in mountaineering in the snow at all grade levels.I do miss my old Galibier,not shure i spelt that correctly,Super Guides.Hand made french boot that i no longer see out there.I have parents from Latvia and their last fit my feet very well.Iam afraid that in the end i must agree with BillS.If one is to consider moving rocker location a bit they need to source a custom boot builder.Every brand has a slightly different rocker but i have never heard of anyone wanting to change its location,not that you arent intitled to do so.Good luck.ymmv

8:23 p.m. on February 17, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

That's good to hear about the tongue construction being fine. My other two pair have a solid FGL gusset and tongue, I was scared the new boots pictured above weren't made as well as my older ones.

The rocker is not a huge deal, wearing the Scarpas for a day made me realize there was a slight difference from the Alico's.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply