About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Katadyn Hiker hard to pump

11:44 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

After a long storage, my PuR Hiker is hard to pump...even with the filter removed! I've tried everything to get it to loosen up. I've lubed the o-ring on the pump handle, flushed the system with bleach water,soapy water,boiling hot water. I even put some olive oil into the intake port. Nothing seens to help. I think the problem is in the check valve at the botton of the cartridge compartment. Is there anyway to remove the inlet plug and check valve to gain access to the "ball, spring, and flapper valve"at the bottom of the pump?

12:24 p.m. on March 28, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Not that I'm aware of (without doing significant and permanent damage to the pump body and assembly). Hoping someone comes up with a solution for you.

6:01 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Fixed it!! I ended up soaking it in " Lime a-way" and then flushed it with boiling water. After about 20 hard pumps, it let loose and now it pumps like a dream.

6:51 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Excellent! Thanks for sharing the solution. Er, so to speak! Some hardening of the vessels, eh?

9:45 a.m. on April 6, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

That is really good to know, thanks for sharing the fix!

11:25 p.m. on April 6, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Welcome upnorth mike,

I have the same filter, they seem to be pretty tough.

Do you recall if you flushed the filter at home prior to storage?

Also do you remember what stream-river-lake you used it at?

Not trying to put you on the spot here, just curious 'cause I have a theory.

I'm glad you got it fixed! One sure way to prevent LSS (long storage syndrome) is to go backpacking more often. I hope you get to!

7:21 p.m. on April 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hey Trout, I live in Northern Minnesota, not far from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and the Superior Hiking Trail. I can't remember what water scource I pumped from last, however, a lot of the lakes up here have high iron content and tanic stain. Yes, I do flush it out and remove the cartrige to dry so it dosen't grow funk ( mold, mildew,etc) . There was a slight bit of a red deposit on the inside when I wiped it out. I think that over time deposits must have built up to the piont where this year it "welded" it's self shut. My only complaint with the pump is that the replacment filters and to expensive. The one I just bought from REI came with a "membrane" that you wrap around the cartrige before inserting. I hope that gives it more life. Time will tell.

Have you had any experiance with the new gravity type filter I see adveriesed by Platypus? I like the idea of not pumping,but I wonder how long the filter lasts. I also do a sport called Adventure Racing,and have gone to "pills" for water treatment and it works well for me. I just add some powder sport drink mix to cover up the taste from the iodine. I am also careful of what water I pump thru my PuR. I usually wait untill I find a clear water scource,and/or I perfilter it through a bandana. That seems to extend the life of the cartrige.

I checked out your bio, and we have a lot in common....love the outdoors,hunt,fish,employed in the construction industry,age,size,name.... Most of where I go is the BWCA and Superior Hiking trail. I dont see a lot posted on this site about them,but then again there isn't a search tool on this site/board.

Thanks for the welcome....I'm sure we will be chatting again. Mike

8:01 p.m. on April 7, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

... I just add some powder sport drink mix to cover up the taste from the iodine. ...

Remember to allow sufficient time for the iodine to act before adding the sport drink mix. The citric acid (citrus flavoring has this in it usually) will neutralize the iodine, which is why it covers the taste.

8:39 p.m. on April 7, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

upnorth mike said:

"I checked out your bio, and we have a lot in common....love the outdoors,hunt,fish,employed in the construction industry,age,size,name.... Most of where I go is the BWCA and Superior Hiking trail. I dont see a lot posted on this site about them,but then again there isn't a search tool on this site/board."

That's cool huh! yeah come back and talk anytime you wish, this is a great forum with many knowledgeable folks (as Bill demonstrates in his post above). That's why I'm here, to learn. The forum does have a search function you just probably overlooked it. It is located in the upper right corner in the dark blue Tabs Bar.

Yeah, I was thinking deposits must have built up in the filter. As you mentioned, prefiltering with a bandana or such has helped me. I have not yet tried a gravity filter, but have considered getting one.

I'm sure someone around here can offer info on gravity filters.

Happy hiking!

11:20 a.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

My parents use and swear by a gravity filter they use all the time. It uses ceramic filters that are infused with colloidal silver with a charcoal core. But I doubt you would want to take the one they have backpacking- It is a countertop unit that is about the size of a water heater ;)

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply