Repair Kits

6:59 a.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I am wanting to put together a gear repair kit for when I'm out on the trail. I'm looking for recommendations on what to include and/or what has been useful for others. Thanks in advance.

10:54 a.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Depending on the length and remoteness of the trip my repair kit gains or lose's items.I may not even carry one for quick single nighters in the summer months.What i generally carry is some duct tape,wires ties of several lengths and widths,spare o-rings for my whisperlite,small chunck of bailing wire,needle and thread.Can also use items out of my first aid kit such as the tape and or band aids.Pretty much it but what i try to do is go over my gear on a regular basis at home check for problems and try to stay a step ahead of them.I just got done setting up my 3 favorite tents and resealing the seams and replaceing guy lines as ness.Also a bit of silicone spray on the zippers help them both slide nicely and last longer.ymmv

6:40 p.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Those platypus self-adhesive repair patches will also fix a small hole in your tents mosquito netting - stay on for ten years as well.

Cord will open a bottle of wine: get the knot below the pushed in cork.

Sigg bottle rubber seal.

Spare gaiter strap - rubber ones - are also good for starting fires.

Heavy gauge needle.

Gas tape is stronger than duct tape.

Wrap duct tape around a pole repair sleeve (make sure it's the right size for your poles).

Alcohol wipes - for cleaning, disinfecting, lenses.

Those disposable super glue packets, really small (do not use on dental fillings).

The elastic tape that goes on one side of a pack's chest harness - hard to find so get it now.

9:28 p.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Jim Beam for the 'oh crap' mental acceptance phase. Takes two drinks or ten minutes whichever comes first.

Duct tape

Small piece of hot melt glue stick

Dental floss

Wire

Needle

Tent repair stuff

Stove repair stuff

Super glue - during winter for fixing cracked fingers, works well.

Jim Beam for toasting to an exceptional repair, whether or not something actually got fixed. If nothing got fixed repeat process.

7:26 p.m. on March 30, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I love this stuff. It works. What else is there to say?

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0028443516557a.shtml

6:55 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Here's a previous thread on essentially same topic, FWIW: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-repair/topics/53889.html

I frequently tweak the contents of my repair kit. Now includes a thimble, for instance. Remarkable how useful that thing is.

11:38 a.m. on April 2, 2010 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

As I have stated elsewhere, I do not carry a repair kit because I have never needed it. I carried a needle and thread and an xacto blade in one of those tiny xacto blade bottles for decades and never opened it, so now I don't. I would EVER use duct tape to repair a down leak in an expensive garment and get that icky adhesive on my $500 coat, I would rather lose down, and replace it and sew it up at home.

The only thing I have had to repair is my glasses and I carry a tiny screw driver and some fine copper wire for this, because I actually use it.

The Be Prepared attitude has caused us to carry heavier packs than necessary. I mean if you are canoeing on a long trip by all means carry canoe repair stuff, maybe even duct tape and epoxy, but for backpacking, I don't seethe need for anything besides maybe a jet nozzle cleaning wire for a white gas stove.

Jim S

9:59 a.m. on April 5, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Darn it, Jim! (Seriously. Darn it. A rip in clothing for instance. Or maybe a tear in pack cloth. And yes, even socks, if you're ambitious.)

No, I don't do too much darning in the back country. But I have, on more than one occasion, done a little stitching or what not to prevent little tears from becoming bigger ones, repairing strap attachments, etc. And not infrequently have I loaned repair items to others in a party for them to repair their own gear, etc.

If I'm only going out for a night or two, most any repair, significant or not, can wait for better light, tools, and workspace at home. If I'm out for several days or longer, however, it may be a better idea to make a decent field repair.

Thinking a repair through is an enjoyable challenge and can help prevent undesired problems arising from the repair itself. For instance, I once patched a hole in a down sleeping bag with, yes, duct tape. The hole was just large enough that I could get a finger through it, and I placed a small piece of duct tape on the inner surface of the fabric, sticky side out, and then another over the hole (and exposed bit of sticky tape surface) from the outside. Worked wonderfully. At home, I removed both bits of duct tape, used a bit of some cleaner fluid to remove the tape residue from both inner and outer surfaces, and repaired the hole with a rip-stop nylon patch in the same sort of manner. That bag is still quite usable.

I agree that over-doing the "Be Prepared" thing can lead to carrying more weight than necessary. But since "necessary" itself is a flexible term in different hands, as is the notion of what it means to "be prepared", I'm happy with the idea of each arriving at his or her own conclusions about the best answers for this sort of thing.

11:32 a.m. on April 7, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

i have a pair of medical scissors (blunt end) in the first aid bag that works for a lot of repairs too. i don't carry pack hardware, as i haven't had quick release clip or three bar slider fail on a trip, ever. (i have mashed one or two in car or trunk doors, though, so i keep extra hardware the glove box). i carry a spare cord lock because those always seem to break, and i carry a spare valve for the camelbak.

I have an old Patagonia field repair kit that has a heavy needle/awl, a small gizmo to secure the needle (similar to the end part of a sewing awl that holds the needle), and a large cotter pin that serves as a T-handle if you need to push through pack or tent nylon and webbing. you could look online for sewing awls, REI sells one, but they look kind of big. the kit also has thread, a small length of nylon fishing line, some heavy waxed nylon or polyester thread, and a few safety pins. if you carry a needle, make sure it's heavy enough and that you have some way to use it with heavy materials. i have occasionally had to do field repairs on torn packcloth or to secure webbing that was at risk of tearing off a pack.

bring the small repair kit and spare parts for your stove.

for tents, a combination of the sewing kit and first aid waterproof tape usually works.

i am seriously considering adding a small container of instant glue - good for repairing plastic hardware, fingers, etc. "1001 uses." Note that typical instant glue isn't sterile, but loctite sells sterile, surgical-grade adhesive. i just had laparoscopic surgery, closed with internal stitches and external surgical adhesive. expensive but better than giving yourself an infection.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply