About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Primus No. 71 Stove...

12:35 a.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello,

I just bought this stove and I am amped to use it. I have a couple of questions. 1, I don't think the flame gets as hot as it should all the time. The performance seems to be on and off. A couple of ideas ( I poke the jet out with the little poker I got with it so I think that's clear). First, I think I might need a new caps. If I have the flame going for about 10 minutes it seems to release gas from teh seal on the threads. Also, I looked at the wick. It's still in tact but looks unreaveled, if that makes sense.

Another issue is: if I try to prime/restart after using it, it won't flame. I can't get fluid to come out to relight. I assumed if the stove is already warm it should just reprime.

That's it for starters. I don't have any directions. I also don't really know about this type of stove. I'm thinking I could take it entirely apart and clean it? Any tutorials on that?

Thanks

3:24 a.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,741 forum posts

Howard, I saw your post on Spiritburner about the 71. You've got a couple of responses if you haven't seen them yet.

This company should have parts for it-

http://www.packstoves.net/cart/

12:42 p.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey thanks a lot. :)

7:48 p.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

It sounds like to me (having had my 71L since 1958-9) the gasket on the fuel cap is worn. When the stove generates the heat through priming, the cap and tank expand slightly (they are metal, after all), and if the gasket has hardened and worn (which it will do with age and use) the seal becomes less than perfect. You have two choices - go to the website Tom D gave you and get a new gasket or go to the hardware store and attempt to find a sink faucet gasket that is the right size. If you are handy with plumbing, you can make the hardware store gasket fit.

Somewhere on this site, I have described several times the procedure for lighting the Primus 71L/Svea 123 and similar stoves with the "roarer" style burner. Basically, just a little fuel in the cup at the base of the stem (which acts like a generator tube), light it, let it heat by burning until it is almost out, then open the valve, and the vapor will catch and you will have a loud roaring flame. Open the valve too soon, and you will have a huge flaring yellow flame; too late, and you hopefully have a match ready to light before it cools down, or else you start over. A little practice and it's easy.

4:47 p.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

The Primus 71 was my first stove. I bought mine in the late 1960s. The version I had did not have the side vents on the can. While it required mastering the somewhat temperamental priming technique, the stove-in-a-can design made it robust. I have cooked in horrible conditions with this stove. Nevertheless I was gratified when MRS introduced their superior line of stoves, gladly retiring my 71 for the MSR Firefly. (The firefly is the loudest backpacker stove I have ever seen, even louder than the MSR XKG)

There is an after market pump used to get the Primus 71 stove (and other model/makes with the sample fill cap) to burn a bigger, hotter flame. The pump fits over the pressure relief valve on the fill cap. It does ease the use of this kind of stove somewhat.
Ed

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply