Repair of a factory sealed seam.

9:55 p.m. on November 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hey, I have a tent seal question?

I have an old Jansport tent that the factory sealed floor seam is starting to peal up at the edge. Anybody know how to repair this without ripping up the entire seam seal stuff? It doesn't look to bad now, but I want to stop it before it gets worse?

Thanks-

Davey

1:41 p.m. on November 4, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

I wouldn’t worry about it.  If the tent has a rain fly, and you properly use a footprint that repels water, little it any casual water will find its way into your tent.  I don’t even bother with seam sealing any more, finding it unnecessary in this application.

Ed

10:05 p.m. on November 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hey, thanks Ed.

Davey-

4:32 p.m. on December 9, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

It's probably way too late to add this comment and do any good but why not use McNett Seam Sealer?  I have on all my tents in the past and would definitely do it again.  However, to each in their own!

I guess I missed something but did Davey even say he had a footprint or was that assumed?  I doubt Jansport even has a footprint...if they do great, but if you think you should go buy one (let alone find one for your "...old tent") I disagree.  Just repair the seam with the McNett it's way cheaper and way lighter than carrying around a footprint.

This may sound tongue and cheek but to quote Ed, "...little it any casual water will find its way into your tent.", little water is still water in your tent regardless.  Wasn't fixing this issue the point here and seam sealer would do exactly that?

Just my $.02

Happy camping =)

8:45 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hey, thanks rdagg. Will do. BTW I use plastic sheething as a foot print.

Thanks again,

-Davey

6:03 a.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

..This may sound tongue and cheek but to quote Ed, "...little it any casual water will find its way into your tent.", little water is still water in your tent regardless.  Wasn't fixing this issue the point here and seam sealer would do exactly that?

Just my $.02

Happy camping =)

I guess if one is obsessed with the notion their tent isn’t 100% water tight, this would be an issue.  But then perhaps such souls are better off avoiding inclement weather altogether, if their tolerance to a little water is so low.  I find when it rains hard enough for that casual water to seep in, just the simple act of entering and exiting your tent will cause more serious water issues.  Why fret over a ¼ ounce of water in a corner when you have rain gear dripping all over everything?  In any case I have had more problems with tent mates spilling drinks than casual water.  All are reasons why you bring a towel.

Ed

3:30 p.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

You can call me obsessed. :)

In this case it seams that the tape might be pealing I make my own sealer that looks more like tape. I did this 3 years ago to a tent, and there is no signs of it pealing or wearing off. And best of all no leaks at all.

1 part Elmers Ultimate Glue

4 parts Denatured alcohol

You realy have to work at getting it mixed up.

Set up your tent, and scub the seams with water. This is very important as the water is used to kick the glue. So scrub it hard, the water MUST soak in. Then with a fine dry brush the same size of the seam start painting on the glue alohol mixture. You might see the stitching turn color. It should foam up just a very little. This is the glue getting into the stiching holes and swelling. Leave the tent up for a few hours to fully dry.

The Elmers glue is a polyurethane, and will dry looking like shiny tape. It will not adhere to plastic type surfices. I dont think there is anything on the market that can beat this.

4:14 p.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Google Tear-aid. I get it from Cabelas and it works great. Not sure if it suits your needs but I thought I would throw a suggestion out there. Happy hiking.

8:15 a.m. on December 13, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

You can call me obsessed. :)

In this case it seams that the tape might be pealing I make my own sealer that looks more like tape. I did this 3 years ago to a tent, and there is no signs of it pealing or wearing off. And best of all no leaks at all.

1 part Elmers Ultimate Glue

4 parts Denatured alcohol

You realy have to work at getting it mixed up.

Set up your tent, and scub the seams with water. This is very important as the water is used to kick the glue. So scrub it hard, the water MUST soak in. Then with a fine dry brush the same size of the seam start painting on the glue alohol mixture. You might see the stitching turn color. It should foam up just a very little. This is the glue getting into the stiching holes and swelling. Leave the tent up for a few hours to fully dry.

The Elmers glue is a polyurethane, and will dry looking like shiny tape. It will not adhere to plastic type surfices. I dont think there is anything on the market that can beat this.

mikemorrow, Call me obsessed as well =)  I guess I'd rather seam seal my tent 100% then have to carry a footprint!  I'm a weight weenie =)

This is a great suggestion...how did you come up with that concoction cause it seams brilliant! < get it 'seams'...lol!

If I may add my own suggestion on top of mikemorrows, after seam-sealing my tents I wipe dry lubricant (basically powdered graphite) over the sticky seams so when you fold or stuff your tent the seam seal or tape doesn't stick together.  It works great!  You can get dry lubricant at any hardware store in the door/key/locks section of the store.  Its about $1-1.5 and will do an entire tent.

I'm gonna try the Elmer's and alcohol mix on my niece and nephews tent.  Just to clarify mikemorrow, does it smell at all toxic at all when mixed together?  My sister would not allow me to do it if that was the case.

Side note: Another member recently mentioned that he could not find seam sealer in his local area...I cant remember where though but if anyone does pass this on to them...it's a great suggestion!

3:36 p.m. on December 13, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks. :)

One last thing. Should it foam (expanand) to much add more alcohol. You have to work fast cuz it cures fast, and your brush will stiffen up. The seams dry non sticky. As far as smell, well, I've always done it outdoors.

6:40 p.m. on December 13, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks, guys...

-Davey

9:16 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Thanks for taking the time to post that response mikemorrow!

I'm gonna give it a go.  I will work fast and do it in the garage, to air it out,  as it is already well below -10 everyday and there is 'white gold' all over the ground!

Take care eh!

I love Canada =)

5:09 p.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

..I guess I'd rather seam seal my tent 100% then have to carry a footprint!  I'm a weight weenie =)...

Actually the prime reason for a ground cloth/footprint is to protect the tent floor from terrain induced damage.  The only moisture you should usually find under a properly located and erected tent is from ground condensation.

Ed 

8:45 a.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Ed,

The whole reason for this thread was to help Davey with a potential water problem.  If it was my tent I would repair it.  That is all! 

If you want to carry a footprint, I think it is a good idea!

Happy Camping!

Reedr =) 

12:43 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

If you seam seal:

• Apply seam sealant, let dry
  • Shake light coating of "unscented" talic/baby powder over seam seal
  • Wipe off talic/powder"
  • Result . . . no sticky seam seal!!!
1:49 p.m. on December 19, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Davey, you might want to check w/ your tent manufacturer to see if there is any type of warranty.  If so, let them repair what they are willing to repair.  I had damage on my North Face tent which is well over 10yrs old and they fixed it for free and even replaced my lost tent stuff sack.  What they repaired was a rip in the screen door fabric.

As for the seams, they wouldn't do anything to repair the old seam tape cause they considered that wear and tear due to usage and not a manufacturer defect... So I'll definately give MikeMorrow's home made tape sealer a try.

Lastly, rather than ordering a footprint, I've always picked up a roll of visqueen and used that.  Just roll it out, set up your tent on top, then cut the visqueen to fit.  it's always worked well for me.  I use this to prevent damage to the tent due to rocks/limbs/etc from ripping through my tent.  It will also help prevent water leakage from underneath.  Just make sure you tuck any excess plastic underneath the ten so rain water doesn't get funneled underneath the tent.

8:47 p.m. on December 20, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks, Kakarrot. I will give it a try...

-Davey

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply