About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Seam Seal Inside and Outside?

8:38 a.m. on November 8, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I have a new Eureka Sunrise 11.  I have NcNett seam seal.  So, I pitch then seal inside then outside?

11:36 a.m. on November 8, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

I wouldn't recommend sealing the outside of the tent, as the layer on the outside will only break down sunlight, gather dirt, and will not improve the seal. Applying a sealer to the inside of the seams properly will be most effective.

10:16 a.m. on November 10, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Ok- thanks..

10:37 a.m. on November 12, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

btw- 1-11-10 upon first inspection of new tent- a flaw in the stitching was discovered- a 1/4" hole in the tent wall .   It looked as if the one inch section in question was "gone over again" with stitching machine and it missed the attempt join the two piece.  Tent returned to Campmor

9:23 p.m. on November 12, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

There is much debate on seam sealing. I will seam seal  the inside only if there is no tape. Seam sealing over tape? what good can that do?

10:21 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I agree that it depends on whether the tent has been seam taped from the factory on the inside.

Normally I would say seam seal the outside. I wouldn't worry to much about the sun as if its got time to break down the seam sealing on the outside it will also be breaking down the weather coating on the outside.

For your tent to last longer put it up just before dark and take it down during the days sun... Just my 2 cents...

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply