Cleaning up a used Moss Tent

2:23 a.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

G'day All

This is my first post. I found a used Moss Tent at a pawnbroker and after a bit of research found out that these tents are highly regarded. From the look and fell of it I can see why!

I believe it is an Olympic (dimensions for the tub floor are 52", 46", 52", 52", 46" and 52" clockwise).

CMc-Olympic.jpg

I found what looks to be a date tag with the numbers "91 - 4". One on the fly and the other inside the tent with the other tags re flamability etc. Does that mean built in April 1991?

CMc-Olympic-date-tag.jpg

Well it needs a bit of love as follows;

The tent pole (Black easton 304 Tentube 775W) that supports the hoop in the fly has two tubes that are split. Is it possible to get respectfully repaired using same or nearly exactly same materials? If so, a contact or link would be appreciated.

The fly has a lot of black spot mildew marks on it. Possible to clean these out?

The tub floor has a few black marks as well along with a tacky feel (same goes for the pole sleaves) and a lot of a fine "white" residue over it (talcum powder???) that won't brush off.

The inner tent has a few marks the worst of which seems to be a transfer of the red pole sleeve or tub colour onto the cream coloured inner and also the tan coloured doors - can this be cleaned off?

Tent pegs - got a mixed bag. Mainly light soft alloy solid tube ones shaped like a shepherds crook. What was original for this tent?

Apart from that all good.

Appreciate all the tips I can get to clean this pup up to scratch again. I can post more pics if needed.

cheers

5:53 a.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hi CanMc,

Welcom to Trailspace.

Here  this link should get you where yo need to be with the poles.

http://www.polesforyou.com/index.htm

My experiance with tent fabric is that once you have mildew the spots are there forever.  At least the stain.  The few times I've found it I've used a water viniger/baking soda mix to clean the area and stop the mold growth.  I have not tried this on Moss tents.  I know that Nikiwax has a product that will clean tents but it's fairly expensive.  I have found that for alomost all cleaning problems there are specialty products that do work but are expensive and home made recipies .that have proved themselves over the years.  You'll want to make sure that the mildew has not eaten the water proofing away on the parts of the tent that need to be water proof.  Seam grip makes a good product to reseal tent floors/flys, I think it's called tent floor sealer.  As for the tackness, the common thought is that humidity and or off gassing is the cause of this.  I'm of the belief that it's off gassing. First don't store the tent rolled up in it's stuff sack.  I store my tents that I'm worried about (Moss, Dana design, Garuda, Northface ECWT) in mesh laundry bags so they can continue to off gas.  As for the tackyness I've found that there are two ways to deal with this.  One is top set the tent up on a really hot day and rub a non water absorbing material into the fabric (usually silicon fabric) and or thin out seam grip and paint it over the sticky area. If you do decide to try these things do a test spot on parts of the tent that will not be harmed just to make sure.  Nice find and good luck

11:05 a.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

I don't think any of what you described can be cleaned out completely. You may be able to diminish the appearance of some of the mildew spots and stop further growth through laborious cleaning, but the coatings on the fly and floor are likely degraded to a point where they will start to come off along with said cleaning. Then again, you could always just re-coat it...

1:23 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

CamMc said:

G'day All

This is my first post. I found a used Moss Tent at a pawnbroker and after a bit of research found out that these tents are highly regarded. From the look and fell of it I can see why!

I believe it is an Olympic (dimensions for the tub floor are 52", 46", 52", 52", 46" and 52" clockwise).

CMc-Olympic.jpg

I found what looks to be a date tag with the numbers "91 - 4". One on the fly and the other inside the tent with the other tags re flamability etc. Does that mean built in April 1991?

CMc-Olympic-date-tag.jpg

Well it needs a bit of love as follows;

The tent pole (Black easton 304 Tentube 775W) that supports the hoop in the fly has two tubes that are split. Is it possible to get respectfully repaired using same or nearly exactly same materials? If so, a contact or link would be appreciated.

The fly has a lot of black spot mildew marks on it. Possible to clean these out?

The tub floor has a few black marks as well along with a tacky feel (same goes for the pole sleaves) and a lot of a fine "white" residue over it (talcum powder???) that won't brush off.

The inner tent has a few marks the worst of which seems to be a transfer of the red pole sleeve or tub colour onto the cream coloured inner and also the tan coloured doors - can this be cleaned off?

Tent pegs - got a mixed bag. Mainly light soft alloy solid tube ones shaped like a shepherds crook. What was original for this tent?

Apart from that all good.

Appreciate all the tips I can get to clean this pup up to scratch again. I can post more pics if needed.

cheers

Split pole - go online to find Easton Poles and buy a new one.

Fly - use mildew bathroom cleaning, soak for a short time in bucket then lightly scrub with soft brush then put through a tumble washer on cold.

Tub Floor - clean with Goo Gone and then put through the wash with the fly.

Tent - clean same as fly.

Note if they all come out good , then re-wash on gentle with NikWax.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply