Breaking In New Boots!

7:42 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Well, I finally bit the bullet and laid out some serious cash for some serious boots. I've been using a pair of Timberlands for many years, and they just aren't cutting it anymore, especially after busting a seam.

So I just got a new pair of Alico Tahoe boots. They are full grain leather, with a softer leather for the scree collar and tongue flaps.

I need to break these in very well over the next month and a half before doing the Teton Crest Trail. I plan to use the tried and true method of pre-soaking the insides right before hiking in them to break them in initially.

My questions are these:

Are there other methods to break them in that are more effective?

Is there any reason not to use the presoak method?

Should I use a leather treatment (Obenhauf's HD LP) before I subject them to break in exercises?

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice!

7:57 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I don't necessarily have much input on the soaking of the boot etc., but I used the Obenhauf's on my Scarpas as soon as I got them and I feel it definitely softened them up. I applied it on day one and I love this stuff. Then again from previous threads I am sure you know this already.

obenhauf-s.jpg

It did darken the leather but not to the point that it was a big deal. I actually think they look better. I think Trouthunter uses it on his Summits so he may be able to give ya a better heads up on how it does on the Alicos.

I am sold on Obenhauf's for FGL boots.

By the way, nice boots man. If I didn't score the deal I did on the SL's I would have went after either the Tahoes or the Summits.

9:36 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Thank Rick, I haven't picked any of the Obenhauf's up yet, but I have already located a nearby store to buy some :)

Choosing between the Summit and Tahoe was difficult, as I really wanted the leather liner, but they are a pound heavier and more expensive. At the moment every penny is precious, if ya know what I mean.  In the future, hopefully years from now, I will probably order them directly from Italy to get the leather interior. Either that or just get the Summit.

9:57 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I absolutely know what ya mean as far as finances. If I didn't snag the SLs up at $170 I wouldn't own them. My jobs have been slow coming as of late. As far as purchasing the LP I had to order mine. I don't know of anyone that carries it locally although I don't go out much unless a pack is strapped to my back. Either way it still arrived at my door 2 days from the date of purchase.

The M3s that I just purchased do not have a leather liner either. Still an awesome boot as far as I am concerned. The liner is some beefy stuff regardless.

Scarpa has a new SL coming out later this year.

There is a video on youtube of it. I like the rand but not sure about the rest. I could never figure out why some companies just can't leave well enough alone. Seriously, I mean why change a good thing?

Here is a link to the vid if ya haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiNRjGAF3Q

10:02 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I actually contacted Scarpa in regards to the design change and I am waiting on a return email. I finally get a decent boot that has a last that fits me and they change the last. Ugggghhhh. Oh well, these should last a long long time.

I contacted Dave Page in regards to adding a rand to them. Still waiting on that response as well.

11:14 a.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Yeah, the way companies cycle through designs and models really irks me. There's nothing worse than a great, simple, well made and designed product being replaced with something that is over-designed and less functional.

11:44 a.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I have never used the water method myself, some people swear by it, others say it weakens the leather / construction of the boot. I don't know who is right.

I just decided to apply Obenauf's LP right from day one, it does seem to soften up the leather and I thought the treatment would soak in and impregnate the leather before any water, mud, dust, etc. had a chance to.

I treated my boots by applying (hand rubbing & using an old toothbrush) liberally into every single stitch, nook, and cranny of the boot then placing the boots in a black plastic trash bag and setting them in the sun for a few hours (as recommended).

The Obenauf's definitely seems to penetrate and condition better than the other water proofers I've tried.

I can stand in creeks, water puddles, whatever, and have never gotten any water inside the boot in the past 4 years plus they are very comfortable.

I said all that to say I'm sold on Obenaufs, and thanks to Dewey here on Trailspace for telling me about it.

12:15 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Thanks Trout, with both your and Rick's thoughts, I think I will definitely pick up the Obenhauf's today and use it before I take them outside at all.

I'm curious to hear what the weathered mountain goats like Ed, Dewey, Bill have to say about using the soaking method.  I am reading "The Wilderness Handbook,"by Paul Petzoldt, the founder of NOLS. He directs new boots to be broken in using the water method. I was thinking about it, and considering how much my feet sweat, I wouldn't think soaking the interior for a half hour would wet the leather any more than my perspiration will on a strenuous hike in 98° heat at 95% humidity. I could be wrong though...

1:06 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Gonzan I was thinking about the wetting method and had a thought. I can't seem to see why wetting the inner of the boot would be a problem. Like you stated your perspiration will wet the inner of the boot and lets face it, boots get wet. Good boots are made to stand up to this kinda thing, dry out, shrug it off, and keep on trucking. I just can't seem to come to any logical conclusion why this would be a bad way to break in your Alicos. I think the salt from your perspiration would do more damage from the inside when compared to water. As long as you just let them dry naturally w/o any applied heat you should be fine.

On the flipside your boots do not have a leather liner so wetting the liner out may not be as effective as it would be on a leather liner. Honestly I think if ya use the LP and do some day hikes around your house and locally you should be fine.

I was told 200 miles was the estimiated break-in on my Scarpas(by Scarpa) because of the thickness(2.9mm) of the sherpa leather and I can tell you, I probably have less than half of that and they are very comfy.

4:50 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I would also like to get a definitive answer (if that's possible) on the water method. I can't see why it would be a problem either, but then again I'm really tired of learning things the hard way.

After hiking yesterday in a local swamp I'm also in the market for some snake proof boots. I can't find any leather boot makers who claim their boots are bite proof. I have looked at, and tried on a pair of Rocky brand snake boots, the construction and fit was not that impressive.

If anyone knows something about this, help me out.

Edit: I meant leather backpacking boots, I know most snake boots have a ballistic cloth liner.

5:08 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I just looked online at a pair of leather Danners - 330.00.

9:56 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey TH, have ya looked into snake proof gaiters? That may be a cheaper alternative than shelling out the dough on a pair of boots that have pretty much 1 primary function. I've used them and they work fine. I took a few hits when I was in Florida from Moccasins and didn't have a problem.

10:15 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Yes I've considered gaitors and chaps, but our DNR guys (Department of Natural Resources) recommend high top boots because they say that a large percentage of bites occur at the back of the heel or side of the foot.

The plastic type cover the foot pretty well but they are noisy.

But you are correct, snake boots are expensive and have one function.

11:40 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Let the little, young snakes bite you.   Eventually, you'll build up an immunity.

Let us know how that goes ....

~r2~

5:20 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I have not heard of the presoak break-in method.

I would not do anything, initially, other than wearing the boots.  Wear around town for a few days, then some a day hikes.  Note the hot spots, if any.  Try resolving, by wearing different socks.  Pay particular attention to smoothing out wrinkles in socks, as this can be a source for hot spots.  Also note if a seam on the sock is the source of discomfort.  Cheap socks often have seams in places where they cause blisters.  If your foot aches, make sure you aren’t over tightening your laces.  Confirm you are getting adequate arch support, changing the foot beds if necessary.

Once you have made all of the above accommodations, only then consider modifying the boots’ physical characteristics.  I would first try Mink Oil.  This product will soften leather, so think twice before applying it to the structural aspects of your boots, particularly the toe and heel boxes.  (Note you can speed absorption of Mink Oil placing your boots in an oven set @ 150°F.)  If the boots still have a tight spot, the Mink Oil will make the cobbler’s job easier, as they go about using special tools that will stretch targeted areas of the leather, providing more room  for that part of your foot.

Ed

10:52 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Thanks, great suggestions and feedback!

11:39 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,099 forum posts

I am think I now have booot envy with all of you guys...LOL sorry but I have been hiking in cross trainers. But Now thinking about some boots when I get done...Feel leftout...:(

1:23 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Haha, feeling like all the cool kids got new shoes, eh? ;)

I know what you mean, I had been using the same old pair of $40 timberlands for year after year. I've reglued them and resurected them so many times past any reasonable life of the boots.

But no more :)

2:42 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I can't seem to get away from boots. I really like ankle support.

3:02 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,099 forum posts

No it's beat to have an array of shoes for any activity. But yes I kind if  miss my boots..

3:17 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

Are these the boots?---

63669_32.tif&tmp=FullSize&redirect=0

They look remarkably similar to my old midweight Limmers---see below.

lmlightweight.jpg

I used these boots for many, many trips and was brainwashed by the Brand Hypnosis and so endured sore feet and several other problems (heavy as heck when soaked---froze solid when wet in the winter and very tough to use---but then, most boots can freeze solid in the winter when wet and are difficult to use).  I finally switched to Asolo 520's and BAM right out of the box they felt great and never needed a break-in period.  Many backpackers seem to like the 520's.

3:29 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Yep, those are the ones!

I wanted to get a pair of Asolos, but they no longer make an FGL without a gortex liner.  "What??" what my general reaction. After my last boots were goretex lined, I vowed I wouldn't but a WPB lined boot again.

But who knows, maybe after a few years I will decide I don't like these, won't know will I've tried em' out for while.

3:31 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,099 forum posts

Ok now it's jealousy after Tippi posted pictures of the boots...this is not funny guy's. I have nowhere to buy boots presently. "your Killing Me""..LOL

3:48 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

Yep, those are the ones!

I wanted to get a pair of Asolos, but they no longer make an FGL without a gortex liner.  "What??" what my general reaction. After my last boots were goretex lined, I vowed I wouldn't but a WPB lined boot again.

But who knows, maybe after a few years I will decide I don't like these, won't know will I've tried em' out for while.

Gonzan-TPS 535 does not have a membrane. Pretty much the same boot as the 520s w/o gore-tex.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/asolo/tps-535/

I had a pair of the 520s. Too sweaty for me.

I am still deciding on pulling the trigger on the Crispis, for winter GTX may not be bad.

Kinda pricey at $439.

Granite-HGT-Ultimo_900.png

Then there is the Super Granite at $459, the extractable cramp-on is kinda neat. 2.47lbs per boot.

SuperGraniteHTG.png

Here is a link to their page for more info:

http://www.crispiusa.com/mens.html

Maybe I will get lucky with the SLs and be done with boots for a bit.

4:08 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Denis- MORE BOOTS WOO-HOO !!!

4:24 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Ok, so apparently I'm an idiot :)

I thought I went through every single boot on their website, and thought all of them stated incorporated goretex. Now I see I must have skimmed over and saw the word "goretex," and didn't notice the modifier "without" in front of it.

Note to self: read more gooder.

Ah well, regardless, I am very happy and excited about my new Alicos!

4:37 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, I like the Alicos. Boots nowadays look as though they belong on another planet.

Dem deres sum pretty spiffy puddle jumpers ya got dere gonzan. :)

7:38 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

I've got some time to spend and so I thought I'd bring out a few old fotogs of the BOOTS I HAVE KNOWN AND RUINED---

Boots-Chipewa.jpg

Once long ago I sprung for what I thought were the best boots on the planet, Chippewa -40F below high tops, above. 

image_85564.jpg

This is what they really look(ed) like, and I was struck by the padded top and the fantastic color, etc.  Well, these babies lasted all of one year of constant backpacking and fell apart when used as a "snow shovel" to scrape snow off a tentsite.  I paid way too much for these back in the early '80's.

Ascent.jpg

I lived out of these boots, Nike ankle high Approach (or are they Ascents??).  Yes, back in '81-'82 Nike made a fantastic backpacking boot and me and a couple buddies swore by them and not at them.  Problem was, they only lasted a couple years.

Boot-Sorel-Caribou.jpg

Another old winter standby were these Sorel Caribous with the crepe sole---do not get the crepe sole. I lived in these for a couple years around '82 and they kept my feet dry, finally, but I developed a sort of foot rot since they didn't breath.  I liked the felt insert though, a bunch.  Crepe soles are too slick on snow for winter use, duh.

Boots-Cheap-Sears.jpg

After the Chippewa debacle (and wasted money), I went to a pair of cheap Sears green "hunting boots"---heavy, clunky, crappy.  In fact, I used them on a wilderness backpacking trip back in 2002---the final insult---and ended up in camp playing around with them and the steel shank fell out in my hands.  AVOID.

Boots-Vasque-Sundowner-II.jpg

And then of course there's the common and once popular Vasque Sundowners---I bought them in 1988 and thought, "I finally have a primo decent backpacking boot!"  Well, in six months the leather on top split with a three inch rip and a special European boot repair fabric strip had to be used (common duct tape).  AVOID.

Boots-Limmer-Lightweight.jpg

Finally, I took the $250 plunge in 2001 and bought a pair of lightweight/midweight Limmers, seen here on Upper Creek in Pisgah.  In just five months of hard use the welt thread broke and both soles separated---squirted in a tube of McNetts seam grip as a field repair which voided the warranty etc etc.  AVOID.

These are just some of my best/worst friends now deceased.

8:00 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Tipi, funny you mention Nike. When I was in basic training I bought a pair of Nike Air Tarn Gore-tex hiking boots. I just had to have them. I have to say they were some pretty good boots. Granted if my mind serves me right they were around $180 and they were a well made, heavy boot.

I searched on the web for a pic of them and I found 2. These are identical to the ones I had.

nike-air-tarn-gore-tex.jpg

air-tarn-2.jpg

If I could find another pair of those boots I would definitely jump on them. Granted, they are leather, gore-tex, sweat inducing incinerators. I would buy them just for the memories.

They really weren't a bad boot.

8:32 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Tipi - 

What do you have now?  Hooves?

8:32 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

Rick---I didn't even know Nike still makes hiking boots!  I looked online for my old 80's Approach boots and found this:

$(KGrHqJ,!iwE1L6Dqfs(BN(SBQ2C8g~~0_35.JP

These pretty much seem like the kind I wore for several years back in '80-81.  Here's the twist, Nike is still making these babies!

nike-air-approach-mid-1.jpg

You sure don't hear many backpackers talking about these things.

8:44 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Tipi, I love the photo history of the banes and blessing of your feet :)

I remember you mentioning that you liked the Asolos. I seem to recall you having gotten something new in the last few months, but I can't think what they were.

8:45 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

.ghost. said:

Tipi - 

This made me laugh out loud!

8:45 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Tipi, I bought those around 96 I think... I could be off a year or so.

Lol, the pics you just posted of those Nikes... I had a pair of the ones on the top, waffle soles and all.

8:48 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

.ghost. said:

Tipi - 

This made me laugh out loud!

Me too. You all are silly.

8:50 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Gonzan, ya ever get the Obenhauf's?

9:10 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Yep, picked some up last Saturday and gave the Tahoes two good coats. I'll post photos next week after I get my current commissioned portrait finished and shipped.  It's a beast: 38" x 76", figure in landscape, oil on oil primed belgium linen :)

9:13 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Looks like Tipi and I are the only ones here that have put the kibosh on Limmers.

Although, I DID cop the laces when I sold them.  The laces are probably "collector items" ... ha !

After I bailed on the Limmers, I went to Fabiano's.   Two different pairs.  They work well for me.

Probably THE most comfortable boots I have, is a pair of high-top (8") green kangaroo-hide lace-ups, by Browning (the firearms company).  A hunting / field boot, not hiking ... although, I have done so on grassy jaunts .   Like bedroom slippers,  inside and out.  .  Soooo supple.   Not for scree, rocks, talus, though.  

Second-most comfortable, are a pair of Red-Wing "Irish Setter" high-top (8") work boots.  (Construction gigs).   I have "cheated" with them ... went hiking on some easy trails several times.   No problems.  I'm on my 2nd pair in 30 years.   Roofing jobs ate the first pair.

~r2~

9:19 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Looks like Tipi and I are the only ones here that have put the kibosh on Limmers.

Although, I DID cop the laces when I sold them.  The laces are probably "collector items" ... ha !

After I bailed on the Limmers, I went to Fabiano's.   Two different pairs.  They work well for me.

Probably THE most comfortable boot I have, is a pair of high-top (8") green kangaroo-hide lace-ups, by Browning (the firearms company).  A hunting / field boot, not hiking ... although, I have done so on grassy jaunts .   Like bedroom slippers,  inside and out.  .  Soooo supple.   Not for scree, rocks, talus, though.

~r2~

Moc toe? If they are the ones I am thinking of I believe Cabelas carries them or did at one time.

9:29 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Robert Rowe said:

Probably THE most comfortable boot I have, is a pair of high-top (8") green kangaroo-hide lace-ups, by Browning (the firearms company).  A hunting / field boot, not hiking ... although, I have done so on grassy jaunts .   Like bedroom slippers,  inside and out.  .  Soooo supple.   Not for scree, rocks, talus, though.

~r2~

Moc toe? If they are the ones I am thinking of I believe Cabelas carries them or did at one time.

Hey, Rick ~~

I was just editing my post as you added your's.  I wanted to pay homage to Red-Wings ( see above ).

Anyhow ... YES; a moc-toe construction.   Didn't know Cabela's is carrying similar.   Browning?   Maybe Cabela's is having them made as "stencils", if you know (?) what that is (re-badged).

If you ever run across a pair in your size, at a modest price ... jump on 'em!    You'll not be sorry, I assure you.   You can wear them almost anywhere during Winter, or mild conditions (not Summer) ---  EXCEPT for real hiking

~r2~

9:38 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
9:43 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

R2- They do not carry the Browning but they did before. They have these now.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=748624&type=product&WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

I love Red Wing work boots.

Looks very, very similar.   I suppose mine are 9", after all.   Amazing, amazing boots for comfort.

Also, the same page shows the Red-Wing "Irish-Setters", too; and they are 9".   I stand corrected.

YES -- every one in the construction biz that has Red-Wings is a "believer".

Most of the field engineers and project managers wear the Irish-Setters.

~r2~

9:53 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I worked for a hydro-blasting company years back and if you purchased Red Wings they picked up the cost.

10:06 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I worked for a hydro-blasting company years back and if you purchased Red Wings they picked up the cost.

Smart company.

That's tough work, by-the-way.   Real tough.   Hard on your hearing, also.

Ironically, I sent my former-wife through college ... at Red-Wing Technical College, Red-Wing, Minnesota.  I would go hiking there when I visited, or went out to pick her up.  

There was a big Red-Wing factory there ( of course ! ).   They had a factory outlet store, where I picked-up a pair of boots.   Oddly the prices were not a huge discount.   I also got a pair of Minnetonka slippers and sandals.   I'm wearing the sandals right now, believe-it-or-not !    I LOVE Minnetonka's.   NOT CHEAP!   Red-Wing and Minnetonka are hooked-up.

~r2~

10:17 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah it was a fun job. I got my CDL thru them as well as a tanker endorsement. We would gear up with respirators/o2 and blast chem tanks at 20,000psi. Fun stuff. I figured if a boot could make it through that day in day out it was a good boot.

10:34 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

cant beat Redwings for work boots. Just recently retired my last pair after three years of everyday use. Plan on getting another pair as soon as I get the cash.

9:44 a.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Red-Wings gotta be the "Gold Standard" for work boots.

Consistent quality for the 35+ years I've been using them.

Used to be Wolverines and Herman Survivors.   Dunno (?) WHT happened with them.   The dreaded "China Syndrome" ???

~r2~

10:33 a.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Herman Survivors are now sold at "Wally World." I have had Rockys, they lasted a fairly long time. I believe they were the "Ranger" models. Also used Carolinas as well...

11:20 a.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I faught forest fire in North Idaho for five Summers wearing White's logger boots.  Obenauf's LP is the best. End of discussion.

11:22 a.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

I faught forest fire in North Idaho for five Summers wearing White's logger boots.  Obenauf's LP is the best. End of discussion.

I just applied some to my 3mm laces yesterday. I wonder what other ways Obenhauf's can be used(Peanut butter and Obenhauf's sandwiches anyone?)

11:11 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
9:21 p.m. on July 22, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

These are cool, thanks for the link Rick.

I saw several models in my price range, I do not like Rocky's too well, and the leather boots just look neater, like this Orvis Gorky.
2516GOCU_LG.jpg

9:24 p.m. on July 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Never a problem TH. The Moc toe is a nice lookin boot.

I also took a look at Cabelas. They have 2 pairs of Danners under $250 as well as a few others.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=snake+boots&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

The Pronghorn(Gore-tex) $239 You also get a pretty cool snake on the side of the boot :)

danner-ph-snake.jpg

Danner Jackal GTX $209

Danner-Jackal.jpg

From experience Cabelas doesn't make a bad boot either.

11:59 p.m. on July 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

trouthunter said:

These are cool, thanks for the link Rick.

I saw several models in my price range, I do not like Rocky's too well, and the leather boots just look neater, like this Orvis Gorky.
2516GOCU_LG.jpg

ORVIS has cool stuff.   Rather 'pricey', though.   Was just looking through a couple of their catalogs, which I just picked up at the store.

There's an ORVIS store exactly one-block from my apartment.   I walk by there everyday.

They ( the owners / shop-keepers ) don't like me.

Oh, well ....

~r2~

10:54 a.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I think my original question got hopelessly lost about 45 comments ago ;)

1:23 p.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I can't argue with that :)

Since I am partially guilty of thread drift please allow me to insert the original post in hopes that the questions will be discussed in more depth.  I too would like to hear more opinions from Trailspace members.

Original post & topic:

Well, I finally bit the bullet and laid out some serious cash for some serious boots. I've been using a pair of Timberlands for many years, and they just aren't cutting it anymore, especially after busting a seam.

So I just got a new pair of Alico Tahoe boots. They are full grain leather, with a softer leather for the scree collar and tongue flaps.

I need to break these in very well over the next month and a half before doing the Teton Crest Trail. I plan to use the tried and true method of pre-soaking the insides right before hiking in them to break them in initially.

My questions are these:

Are there other methods to break them in that are more effective?

Is there any reason not to use the presoak method?

Should I use a leather treatment (Obenhauf's HD LP) before I subject them to break in exercises?

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice!

4:37 p.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Haha, thanks Trout :)

5:05 a.m. on July 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I'm hopelessly lost in this ....  (again).

Oh, well ....

~r2~

9:04 a.m. on July 27, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Gentlemen: Some points which may be of help in boot selection, breakin and use. The FIRST is NEVER repeat NEVER use Mink Oil on ANY boot, not EVER and if you do so, it will not allow a boot fitter or cobbler to use his adjusting press correctly.

This, requires WETTING ONLY that section  of the boot's vamp to be stretched and then applying the press and THEN DRYING that part with something like an electric hair dryer. I have done this successfully when working in a gear shop as their boot "guru" and would ONLY do it when all other fitting methods failed.

You, CAN breakin your boots by soaking them thoroughly in a bathtub full of cool water and  wearing them DRY, this is a real pita and I will not do it and do not recommend it, but, it CAN be done if you must adjust the boots quickly. This, ONLY works on UNTREATED boots and NOT on heavy, "oil-tanned" leather boots such as White's, "Nick's", Hoffman's, Viberg's and so forth.

I knew Yanks from the eastern USA, some 40 years ago, that came to BC to be "mountain men" and "go back to the land, man" and teach we whose ancestors built this country all about our wilderness...Some of them wore Limmers and used to tell we poor locals just how superior to our handmade BC light cruisers these "wafflestompers" were. Well, I have yet to see a pair of Limmers that I would take as a gift and most contemporary hiking boots are just junk.

DO NOT treat ANY boot that you want to breakin with the water method and I prefer NOT to treat my boots UNTIL I have broken then in and this should not be an arduous task with a proper fit.

With leather liners, by far the most utilitarian and long lasting, I ALWAYS wax them with Obenauf's as well as the outer surface of the boot and I KEEP my boots CLEAN, DRY and TREATED and my FGL Euro. boots last for years, thus, the actual daily cost is far less than buying the Chinese crap.

You NEED GOOD boots and most CAN afford a pair, you just need to give up other things, such as booze and so forth and save your money. It is a question of priorities, and mine are GOOD gear first and then other stuff.  HTH.

4:15 p.m. on July 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

Haha, thanks Trout :)

Sorry Gonzan, was just trying to offer a lil help to TH.

4:42 p.m. on July 27, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

no worries, I wasn't annoyed, it was just kinda' humorous :)

8:47 a.m. on July 28, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Thanks for the advice, Dewey!

6:42 p.m. on July 28, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I find thread drift very interesting, but I know it is also annoying a lot of times too, you start out talking about water filters and end up talking about Water Buffaloes. Then the original poster shows back up after a couple days wondering what happened.

Thanks for your response Dewey, it was helpful!

3:33 p.m. on July 29, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

No worries, mate! I actually don't mind thread drift/progression when it is related, in this case I just wanted to bringnit back round to get a couple more opinions.

2:55 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
512 reviewer rep
287 forum posts
Re: Breaking In New Boots! My technique

I fill new boots with warm water and let them sit for 30 minutes. Then I empty them and wear them around the house for a few days to be absolutely sure they fit properly. Dry slowly, only at room temperature.

Soaking them in warm water simulates a sweaty boot and softens the entire boot a bit so it much more readily conforms to your feet. If you need to return them they soles are not worn and there's no sweaty smell inside them.

December 23, 2014
Quick Reply