Lowa Tibet Pro GTX vs Danner Pronghorn GTX

5:17 a.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Hi fellas trying to decide on a heavy duty dual use boot for low alpine hunting mostly sub 11k and some pretty strenuous backpacking. I realize that hunting and backpacking boots fill different roles but .... hoping that someone has found the happy compromise.

Ideally I was hoping for a higher 9+ inch boot but liked the look of the Danners .... however I am not sure if they can handle the 75-100 pound loads I will be backpacking.

I know that the Lowas are extremely well regarded, however they are almost twice the price. Does anyone have some input here ? Links to my two options below.

If you can suggest something similar that will hold up to heavy loads please feel free to provide feedback.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=2106705599&Category=2&Type=M

http://www.danner.com/boots/pronghorn-gtxr-mossy-oakr-break-upr-800g-hunting-boots.html

9:05 a.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I been using a couple pairs of Lowa in the past (not this model) FANTASTIC! should be no worry with the loads you listed above. They are on the wide side, and for me - fit like a glove! can't say much about Danner boots, as I never had any...

1:20 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Another boot ya may want to consider is Cabela's Alaska Hunter by Meindl of Germany(10".) It seems to fit into the price range/criteria of the boots ya listed above. 

cabelas-alaska-hunter.jpg
Here is a link if ya want to take a closer look:

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-insulated-hunting-boots-cabelas-alaska-hunter-8482-boots-meindl-1.shtml

Oh, Cabelas also has a 60 day guarantee. Test them out and if ya don't like them send them back. There are more details provided with think I posted.

1:38 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Go with the Danner

1:55 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

While Danner is a great boot go with what fits you best.

I personally would not tell someone to go with a specific brand but I will suggest options. Fit is of the utmost importance; especially when you are getting into the loads you make reference too.

Regardless of what ya decide on make sure you have no heel slippage, and you account for the increase in volume for you feet swelling while being on them for prolonged periods.

As I always like to mention try the boots on in the evening after you have been on your feet, use whatever insoles you are actually going to use, and also use the socks you plan on utilizing when out. All of this can alter the fit of your footwear dramatically. 

You could buy the best boot in the world but if it doesn't fit you its worthless.

in regards to the Lowa/Meindl a full rand may very well be something you want to consider as far as durability goes. Just a thought.

I noticed you made reference to low alpine hunting. My personal opinion is that the Lowa/Meindl would serve ya better than the Danner being they would provide better ankle support. This would be a big payoff as far as the loads you are going to be hauling in theses type of conditions. 

The Pronghorn is a popular hunting boot but it is primarily a hunting boot. When you get into boots like the Lowa, Meindl, etc they are more geared towards support for heavy pack loads. 

9:47 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Thanks for the great feedback Rick-Pittsburgh ,

I will definitely be looking at those two options after your great post. Very informative sir!

9:49 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Never a problem Protos. Glad I could be of help... Happy hiking, urrrr ummm I mean shopping.

12:21 a.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
244 forum posts

Go and test the shoes. The one that fits your feet best, buy them. Even if it hurts like h... in the wallet at the time. Just look away when you pay. I have the Lowa Tibet, the old version not the pro. Never had better shoes.

If there is one thing that makes or breakes a tour then it is well fitted shoes or the opposite.

Otto

10:17 a.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I owned the all leather Danner Pronghorns for a number of years. Also recently tried the Cabela's Alaska Hunter (unfortunately too wide for my narrow foot).

I think you'll find more in common between the Lowa and the Meindl (for Cabela). I think you would find the Pronghorn are not as substantial as those two boots.

Good luck!

9:13 p.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

OttoStover said:

Even if it hurts like h... in the wallet at the time. Just look away when you pay.

Otto

Amen .....

Have decided on the Lowa Hunter Extreme and damn the cost ..... (bites thebullet/weeps)

Thanks all

9:53 p.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good call Protos. As long as they work for you thats all that matters. Happy trails.

8:49 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
244 forum posts

Ditto amen protos. I know your feet will thank you after a long day on a stony trail. The pain in the wallet is soon forgotten. I use to look upon this as a parking ticket. It hurts to pay it, but better get it done, forget and learn.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply