rain gear

12:45 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Gettin ready for the rainy fall season, and im looking for new rain gear.  I have my frog togs, but theyre just too bulky.  Im looking for a top and bottom set that is light weight, small pack size, breathable, yet tough enough for bushwacking...lol and afordable!..any suggestions one gaiters also?

1:35 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Go to BassProShop

6:55 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Yes Frog togs are alittle bulky but light weight. Mine now have some pin holes in them. I'm going to use them for one more season then buy a new set. They have been perfect for the winters on the PNW coast.

8:29 a.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Light weight, breathable, compact and bushwacker tough: keep me posted if you find them.  I think the frog togs may be the closest you can get to all those conditions.  

11:33 a.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Marmot Precip pants and Jacket are light-weight, packable, and relatively affordable. After some unintended booshwacking in my precip pants, I can say that they are more durable than I expected them to be.

I do have a Gortex Pro-Shell 3-layer that is extremely durable (has held up to bushwacking while mountain-biking countless times) but is not in-expensive. It breathes quite well for a WP shell and is built to last.  

5:08 p.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

+1 to sticking with frogg toggs, or switching to dri-ducks...

8:57 p.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

ive been looking at the marmot line and have been thinking about it.....ive got my old army gortex top and bottom, but its waaayyy to heavy for what i want....any good tips on compressing the heck out of the frog toggs? i guess, i could try and find a small compression/stuff sack......the stuff sack they came in is just the right size for rolling my sleeping bag in....anybody have any tips on gaiters?

9:22 p.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Marmot is quality, well-engineered gear, in my experience. Their Mica or Super Mica might suit your needs, but neither will likely be inexpensive, or really durable enough for bushwhacking. On the other end of the spectrum, I have their Exum jacket...very durable for the weight--I'd bushwhack all day with it--but not at all inexpensive.

I'd look into used garments made with eVent fabric. It is regarded by many to be the best membrane-based WP/B fabric. Beats the best Gore-Tex ProShell fabric in both waterproof and breathability ratings, hands down. A very good jacket made of it is called the Integral Designs eVent Rain Jacket. 8 ounces and change, with a hood. Stout fabric for the weight, and I bet you could find one used for under $150.

Rab has made some eVent clothing as well...

Integral Designs makes some nice eVent shortie gaiters (which I own and greatly appreciate); otherwise, Outdoor Research set the standard a while back with their Crocodiles gaiters. Super-burly Cordura construction, with, most importantly, a beefy under-strap which is known to almost never wear out.

12:51 a.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,294 forum posts

My experience bushwhacking through So Cal chaparral and forest under story nettles is no membrane WP technology holds up, the thorns penetrate all but ballistic fabrics.  If you are bushwhacking, go with a surface treat garment that uses surface tension rather than pore size to keep you dry.  Do note the effectiveness of treated fabrics degrades and may disappoint on the far side of spending all day in a rain.  EVent and similar tech fabrics will work longer than spray on repellents, but wear eventually degrades the “fur” that provides the water repellant function of this garment.

Ed

8:54 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Been looking at rain gear myself and considering the coleman stuff.

It has surprisingly good reviews, though not sure what the experts here think of it.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=COLE9660&categoryid=16025&brand=#.Tnk1m9S1udc

COLE3780_500.jpg

•  20 mm with nylon lining

•  Stores in reusable shell fabric, snap closure bag

•  Jacket has center front zipper storm flap

•  Jacket has two large lower bellow pockets

•  Jacket has hidden interior drawcord at waist

•  Reflective tape covering front and back vent systems

•  Drawcord adjustable hood

•  Hook and loop tape adjustable cuffs on jacket

•  Pants have two slit pockets

•  Able to access pant pockets worn underneath

•  Pants have articulated knees for ease of movement\

•  Leg openings with zipper closure and snap adjustment

•  Pants have elasticized waist

•  PVC/Nylon Rain Suit available in black & tan or yellow

1:50 p.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

I would not recommend a PVC rain suit to anyone but young, careless boyscouts, and sea fishermen. They just don't breathe well enough, and shred too easily, in my experience. Too "disposable" for my tastes.

5:24 p.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

You need to be a bit more specific about "bushwacking".  

Are you hiking on trails and then bushwacking a few yards to find a tentsite?

Are you bushwacking all day through dense woods?

For ocassional, short distance (100 yds), through woods, Marmot precip are a bit heavier than Frog Togs.  

For example, my frogg toggs have several rips and I do not even remember being off-trail.  My marmot pre-cip has only one patch.

For sustained bushwacking through wet woods consider reenforcing your lightweight pants with heavier gaiters or chaps:

http://www.cabelas.com/gaiters-chaps.shtml

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply