handheld analog thermometer

12:01 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I know that this subject has been done before, but I'm looking for a thermometer with 2 degree scales and range approx. -10 to 160.  I know of REI one but would like better scale, bi-metal is OK, or something else.  I don't want batteries.

Thanks for any help

Mike

1:32 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts
Re: handheld anolog thermometer

Without knowing much, if anything, about analog thermometers, I'd look on ebay for something made in Germany or Austria from the early 1900s. If the market for them is anything like that of analog Clinometers and Relaskops, that's where I'd start.

Otherwise, there's probably a few new models out there, and I'd look in Forestry suppliers' and Marine suppliers' catalogs for them.

2:25 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

thank you for the information

3:20 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

You bet. I found a "Reotemp" bi-metal thermometer over at forestry-suppliers.com; it meets your specs.

10:11 p.m. on October 20, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

I use a meat thermometer. One of the small bimetal ones. Inexpensive and indestructible, in any grocery store. It is not marked off in 2 deg. steps, but I don't find I need that kind of precision. I've checked it against a candy thermometer of known accuracy while heating water and it checks out.

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply