What do you think about this?

8:09 p.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Washing machines deposit microplastic around world’s shorelines

I heard about this today on the radio (CBC 1) and thought y'all should know when making that decision between a fleece or Merino sweater...

Euph

8:24 p.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Interesting read. But they are talking about synthetics. I use many. But I like wool better and getting more and more. Ridding myself of many microplastics. Thank for the info.

9:54 p.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

Definetly makes you stop and think....

10:38 p.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I started using synthetic fleece apparel circa the late-mid '70s and liked some things about it. This, was at the time that the old, superb "Mellofleece" merino wool longjohns were suddenly discontinued from importation from England into Canada. The synthetics suddenly became the "only game in town" where lightweight mountaineering base layers were concerned.

I have used a LOT of synthetics and have not bought any for five years now and will not buy anymore of them. Now, that high quality merino wool clothing is becoming evermore available, I have returned to it and I wish that we could also get really fine, heavyweight pure silk garments.

I never really liked any of the synthetics I have tried and I dislike that fact that, even with meticulous hygiene and "Mitchum's Unscented", they do tend to get smelly quite quickly and they just feel sticky to me.

I am a serious, ,lifelong conservationist and I care about scientific studies such as this and try to base my lifestyle on avoiding using products that pollute the planet. I have served in Canada's Coast Guard and seen, firsthand, the pollution of the BC Coast and the demise of the once bountiful fish stocks, so, I do not want to use anything that might exacerbate this tragic process.

10:58 p.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Yet again we are shown just how destructive plastic and oil by products can be. It is maddening to me that The world has had for many years the perfect fibers to keep him/her warm. Wool ,down, hemp, cotton as well as others. Like anything else it is supplanted with a cheaper method…………a more harmful destructive method in an effort to make someone higher profits. There is a price to be paid and we are now in the process of paying the price. I'm afraid that when we finally realize how destructive plastic is to humans and the environment it will be far to late. For me it's goose down and wool, used of course as there is already enough gear in the world to last us many, many years without making a single new item. As humans it seems we never learn or learn to late.  I’m saddened that this  study will make little or no difference in how most of the world makes, sell's and  buy’s their products.  I only own a couple of pieces of older fleece and would never myself ever buy it again.

That is "what I think about this?" IMHO

12:36 a.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

With news like this I can see the possibllity that washing machine manufacturers MAY in the future be required to have hepa filters in their drain cycle to mitigate this. It will lenghten the wash cycle because it will slow down the drain speed but it's worth it. 

I still prefer synthetics over wool. Perhaps synthetics need to be made much more bio-degradable.

12:51 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

300winmag said:

With news like this I can see the possibllity that washing machine manufacturers MAY in the future be required to have hepa filters in their drain cycle to mitigate this. It will lenghten the wash cycle because it will slow down the drain speed but it's worth it. 

I still prefer synthetics over wool. Perhaps synthetics need to be made much more bio-degradable.

Copy, Roger Roger and +1 on this comment.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply