Is it wrong........

10:22 p.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

........to be so excited about my new pocket rocket? Cuz I am. And if loving it is wrong...I don't wanna be right!

10:27 p.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Not at all. Its a cool stove...

10:38 p.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Great things do come in small packages

12:33 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

Ima give it a whirl tomorrow at the wall!

2:13 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

its always exciting to get new gear no matter how small a piece it is. The Pocket Rocket is still one of those pieces I just get a kick out of......so small but so mighty!

4:26 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Your asking the wrong guy here.  I love gear.  All gear.  Some more than others but for some reason I love all this stuff that has the abliilty to enhace our lives and keep us alive, esp in times of need.  Some people love stamps, some tents.  Who ya gonna mail when pellets hit the fan blades.  I know that if things go south I get to be Mayor of Tent-town/Seabeck.  Actually all things considered such as time spent on gear reviews, money spent on the items and time searching out the deals I think it would be quite weird if you weren't excited about your cute little stove.

6:55 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

There is a reason its so popular! I always get razzed by friends/girlfriend about being so excited about a new piece of gear. My reply is its a better addiction to have then drugs or alcohol.....or cars, I never really cared about cars. Got a couple friends that all they do is mix their car up, new parts and such. Never cared for that. To each his/her own I guess!

9:32 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I too am a gear junkie.The only thing that has changed with this over the years is now,with money being tighter,I am more selective about what I am buying and how much I am willing to pay for it.But still once the choice has been made.I have found the perfect price.I have hit the submit button.The long wait for its arrival at my door step has ended.I sit and examine and fondle this new gear I have purchased for many days.ymmv

9:50 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

I can see I am amongst friends! I got my little rocket and I really - at this stage -- am not even an obernighter much. But want to go out in the cold and may want to brew u a hot beverage. Today we are going to a wall close to civilization...but I am taking it to make hot stuff for us on the climb.

9:54 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I was plain giddy when my new wool base layers arrived before my Tetons trip back in september, hahaha!

When I get something new, my wife just smiles and rolls her eyes in feigned derision. She actually completely relates, the only difference is that books are her drug. You should see her when she gets a long coveted one in the mail :)

11:50 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

Best stove I have ever owned too. I like the fact that the stove part goes into that little triangled case and into my 1 quart MSR cookpot, along with a lighter, spoon and scubby.

12:33 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

What have you cooked so far

6:13 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

giftogab said:

........to be so excited about my new pocket rocket? Cuz I am. And if loving it is wrong...I don't wanna be right!

It's probably safe to say you are in the majority here on Trailspace.

I'm happy you got a new toy...I mean important piece of gear!

Mike G.

6:33 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Waiting to use a new toy stinks. It happens to me alot. NOT I get out there and use it. Then put it away for the seasons to change. Then use it with the same glee as I did when it was new.

I got a new stove this year for winter camping. I used it most the summer. Then I went back to my old alcohol stove. It was like the alcohol stove was new. LOL Giddy, just childness giddy. :)

7:29 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

enjoy it.  

i couldn't have been happier when it rained hard a few days ago...so i could go out and walk for an hour or two in a new rain shell.  i figure it's better than gambling....

8:04 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

I went to Sandstone Quarry in Red Rock for our annual bumper belay. It is a sport wall just off the parking lot so we get a bunch of people and sit in camp chairs and climb and goof off. I was the hot beverage vendor today with my Pocket Rocket. Only mishap was snagging my DOWN SWEATER ON THE HOT PRONG OF THE ROCKET! So, new toy kicks butt and burns whole in other new toy! However, the water for the drinks heated up so fast! I was amazed! I did about half a dozen heats for the peeps to keep warm with cider and chocolate.

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

8:08 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

:)

9:58 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

It sounds like it was a good time at your annual belay, sory to hear about your sweater. I once got careless and burned the hair off my arm when a wind gust blew the flames away from the stove & pot. Another good reason to use a windscreen I guess.

.....and next time maybe check out the Snow Peak Giga Power, another small, amazing stove. Besides, you deserve it don't you?

10:13 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

I put some climbing tape over the hole and will figure out the repair. i had the sleeve rolled over so it is actually on the INSIDE!

I DO DESERVE IT!!!!! ;)

10:31 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,252 forum posts

I understand that the Nevada Attorney General's office is arranging a sting operation to round up gear addicts. Gear addiction is dangerous to people's pocket books and can reduce them to wandering around homeless in the woods and hills.

2:17 a.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

enjoy it.  

i couldn't have been happier when it rained hard a few days ago...so i could go out and walk for an hour or two in a new rain shell.  i figure it's better than gambling....

Thats funny I did the same thing! Got my new rain shell but no chance to use it. It took two attempts, first try the rain quit before I got outside, walked around the block and back home with out a drop. 20 mins later started to pour like mad, zipped up the new jacket and walked around for 30 mins in a down pour.  And yes I was giddy about the fact I was dry.....  Silly isnt it.

9:33 a.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
22 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

My wife and I took our pocket rocket on a 17 day excursion around AK.. it worked great. same pot as I see you have lol. easy clean up, took up little space. the only thing we did different was to buy the "large" gas container. it's about x 3 the size of the MSR you show.. it worked almost all 17 days, x 2 heated meals a day and sometimes coffee at lunch.   The larger size kept the tank from frosting until it got almost empty.  

7:21 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I think the GSI stuff is pretty popular. Thats the same pot that is in my Soloist set.

9:58 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

BillS....I was assigned that case and will be investigating by going undercover as a person wandering the hills and woods:)

When I got my yellow Marmot Precip I was excited to try it. We don't get much rain . The profile picture I have is me using it he first time on a little hill in a neighborhood park! Just Had to get it wet!

Rick and Jeff. I think that pot is actually made for the Soloist but I liked it anyway and am really glad I got it.

10:30 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Bill S said:

I understand that the Nevada Attorney General's office is arranging a sting operation to round up gear addicts. Gear addiction is dangerous to people's pocket books and can reduce them to wandering around homeless in the woods and hills.

That's funny!

Giftofgab said:

BillS....I was assigned that case and will be investigating by going undercover as a person wandering the hills and woods:)

As long as you are not selling or distributing gear....doing so is 'entrapment' I believe. Then again....you'll have to catch me.

12:09 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

Not entrapment if they were likely to buy it anyway....Plus, you could use that gear in rehab to cook some soup!

2:13 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Haha.

4:03 a.m. on November 15, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Is it wrong to love your pocket rocket?  I had to read the responces to gain context.  I thought it was a loaded question.

Ed

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply