Needing some new (used?) wool sock

6:45 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

For my up coming trip I'm going to need some new wool socks. I might barely have enough to get me thru at the moment but then I'll have non left when I get home. I wear thru them pretty quick. I don't know if it's cause of quality or if I just have really nasty feet. Where does everyone here get there socks, and discount places to get reasonably good wool socks. I've been collecting mine over the years form the Goodwill when they have them and from garage sales so I have no idea where to really start looking. As always I want to save money and must balance value vs. savings. It would be nice to find a quantity discount. Thanks

Seems I may need some neoprene socks if things keep going the way there going in Bangkok/Thailand.

7:00 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Really you wear them out that fast? Those are some nasty feets you got there! LOL Try cutting your toe nails from time to time. I've got a mini saw if you need it. JK

7:11 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Actually I was trying to figure out why I was going thru socks so really really fast while trying out my new heard of boots, all of the sudden it dawned on me, as you said Mike, "Try cutting your toe nails from time to time". That helped but in the toe's of the socks, but as I have lots of old socks I seem to be going thru the heals way faster than when they were new. Yes bodily maintenance procedures are very important in maintaining good gear,  whoda thought. At least I didn't let them grow thru the boots!!

7:22 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,290 forum posts

Ped-egg for the heels?

sierra trading post often sells good wool socks (brands like smartwool and bridgedale that endure abuse well), probably with some kind of minor factory blemish or another, for a good discount.  their prices won't compare to goodwill, but if a good pair of merino wool socks would outlast four or five pair of the goodwill socks you have been tearing apart, it might be worthwhile.  

7:29 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

LOL But if you are going thought the heals fast, Your boots arnt the right fit. Try a half size  smaller boots. I found out around 10 years ago that I was wearing shoes to big for my feet. I have socks over 3 years old now, as good as they were new. Just becouse I went to 1/2 size smaller shoe (boot). My feets are happier and I can hike for many more miles than I did before.

7:39 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
389 forum posts

I don't like advocating for these F'ers, but if money is tight, both Sam's Club and CostCo (I'm told they also sell the old style ragg wool socks during the Fall season) are said to have good quality hiking socks (yep, actually made for hikers).  This is the order page, but you can buy them in the stores at both culture-killer stores.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1620478

"Some time ago, I started wearing SmartWool hiking socks... felt really good, lots of padding for my ex-groundpounder ailments, and all the benefits of wool. But the damn things cost $17 a pair.

Enter Costco -- every fall/winter they have packs of 4 pair of wool hiker socks for a few pennies under $10, and I'm hard-pressed to spot too much difference between them and SmartWools except the brand missing. Just about every time I walk in the store I come out with a package or two. I've got socks stacked up, waiting for the others to wear out. Each package comes with two pair in light "gunmetal" grey, one pair light denim-ish blue, and one pair darkish brown. They fit well, feel good after a long day on my feet, don't wear out quick even in work or hiking boots, and I live in them year round."

9:05 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

I have those Sams-Club "Omni-Wool" socks, and believe them to be every bit as good as a mid-weight Smartwool hiker. With that being said, they do wear down just as fast as a Smartwool.

My next socks will be full-cushion Vermont Darn Toughs...

9:38 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I have come to really like Wigwam's Comfort Hiker which is a wool / synthetic / lycra blend that has some stretch to it, they have been very soft, comfortable, and long wearing for me. I don't like the heavy toe seams in the Wigwam liner socks though.

Pillowthread let us know what you think of the Vermont Darn Toughs if you give them a try.

10:42 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Smartwool used to use a US company named FITS to make their socks. When they switched to a SE Asian sock maker last year, FITS started making the same socks under their own name and also for some other manufacturers. I have gotten a few pairs of different weights (day hikes locally, backpacks of 2-5 days, month-long expeditions and winter backcountry ski trips in sub-zero F weather). So far they seem at least as good as the old Smartwools.

I have for years found the Smartwool and Thorlo socks to wear better than the Ragg socks I used for many years - softer, more cushioning, longer wear (I cut my toenails frequently). But as I wear out the Smartwools, I am going pretty much to just the FITS. Using wicking liners also makes a big difference, and now using Injinji toed socks makes even more of a difference for me in comfort and wear lifetime (I use both the Injinji merinos and their Coolmax as liners, the wool ones for really cold treks).

10:55 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

I find smartwool to be overpriced and over-rated. I've probably got 5 or 6 different models and weights. They are priced at the top of the pile and don't find them the best value return on the money. Leadbelly mentions bridgedale which I hav't been able to beat up yet. Probably going on 3 years old, love them. I'm big on Teko wool socks also. But I find the best value is in Redhead, I believe they are owned by Bass Pro shops? At least thats the only place I've seen them. No pilling at all, terry loops still lofty on the heavier models and I put more use on these then my smartwool.

11:04 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

The guy who has one of the most extensive collections of vintage high end tents, boots and sleeping bags that I know of gets his socks at Goodwill.  Crack me up!  Dont get me wrong had I the funds and proper storage I wouldn't mind collecting some  gear myself.  I just pulled my winter bag out of the closet to find the bottom all moldy.  Belated complements of Irene.  Luckily Nikwax down cleaner cleaned it up nicely and is better than when I put it away this spring.  

Anyway, I really fell for them smartwool socks when they came out and dropped the dime on them without hesitation but when they had their recall they lost me.  I picked up a pack of Columbia Falmouth II Hikers.   Damn near exact same ingredients and knit as smartwool, and just as comfortable except I get atleast 3 times the wear out of them and I wear them hard,  I wear them all year long as they're just thin enough for summer (in Vermont that is) but keep my feet cozy in winter.  I get the white ones for work and use colored for the trail, they fit a little more snug for some reason.  You can get two pair for $13  and wouldn't you know it they discontinued them.  I know of one website that still has some in size medium.  I think its size 6 - 9 or 9.5 mens.    http://www.pacificnorthwestoutfitters.com/servlet/the-19/Mens-Columbia-Sportswear-Crescent/Detail   

Screw that Wallmart store and its affiliates! 

As far as gourmet socks go Darn Tough are about as good a sock as I've ever worn.  I have one pair I only use on winter mountaineering trips.  I've never seen the ones I wear for less than $17 hence the ONE pair.

Enjoy Thailand

11:33 p.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

MoZee said:

"I just pulled my winter bag out of the closet to find the bottom all moldy. Belated complements of Irene."

Yep I feel yea, I was going thru all my tents this evening creating tags for them cause man do I have a of bags full of material, zippers and netting when the dreaded mold monster reared it's ugly head. Did some damage to a white fly on my Eureka 4 man military tent (That'll teach me to speak ill of Euerka tents, eh ;-}>). This tent comes with two fly's both with blackout on the back side. One fly is camo and the other is white. Low and behold there was mold/mildew on the white fly one the white side. Did some visual damage but it is still fully usable. The other tent that had a bit of mold was my Bibler Elderado. The mold wipes of the Bibler with vinegar and water. But just a word warning to all check your gear on a regular bases. Glad I got in there when I did. I will also be adding a dehumidifier to the room. The tents that had mold were in enclosed bags against the outside wall of the mobile home I live in so I'm changin things up. Anyway good idea to check your gear every once and a while.

Ya also said:

"The guy who has one of the most extensive collections of vintage high end tents, boots and sleeping bags that I know of gets his socks at Goodwill."

The only way I can afford to buy all my gear is to get everything I can a Goodwill and other second had stores. I aint proud.

and still you said:

"Dont get me wrong had I the funds and proper storage I wouldn't mind collecting some gear myself."

Thought was covered but I just wanted to dig in and check everything out. Good thing I did. I'll be going thru things with a fine tooth comb in the next few days. Tonight is mold killing night. Death to all spores I say..............

Ok back to socks

12:54 a.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Apeman said--- "I wear thru them pretty quick. I don't know if it's cause of quality or if I just have really nasty feet."
"

As far as wearing out your socks goes.  Do you wear them around the house?  We dont wear shoes in our house and walking around the house in stocking feet wears socks out quick.  I wear slippers to prevent that or go barefoot.  But I went through alot of socks before I figured that out. 

1:21 a.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
389 forum posts

MoZee said:

The guy who has one of the most extensive collections of vintage high end tents, boots and sleeping bags that I know of gets his socks at Goodwill.  Crack me up!

I get it.  I so, so get it.  We pick our priorities.  I ate Ramen noodles for months so I could afford the speakers I wanted.  Trade offs.  Some of us are only in such a position.  Choose our battles.  A $2000 amplifier or a $500 backpack?  Absolutely.  A $5000 car?  I laugh at the silliness.  etc etc etc

As for the toenail thing.  How strange.  I've never worn a toe out of a sock in my life, so we're here with Martian speak to my ears.  I had a roommate years ago who would joke about growing them long enough that they'd curl around so he could hook them on a branch so he could sleep while hanging.  I found it to be a gross joke.  Knew a woman once who was deemed a sheet shredder because she never took care of her feet.  She didn't realize people called her that.  I couldn't get into a conversation about it with her for fear she might show them.  A truly unsettling visual.

8:31 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I buy cosmetic blem merino wool socks by Wigwam and wear them daily all year long.  I think REI or Campmor sells them.  I usaully buy 10 pair at a time when I find them so I never run out.  Nothing better than a brand new pair.

8:37 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

alan said:

I buy cosmetic blem merino wool socks by Wigwam and wear them daily all year long.  I think REI or Campmor sells them.  I usaully buy 10 pair at a time when I find them so I never run out.  Nothing better than a brand new pair.

Do you have a web site for them by chance?  I really hate going to REI with a passion.  I've been there twice in my life and could only stand being in there for just a few min at a time both times I went.  Besides it takes a full days travel to get there and home.

9:26 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I buy all my socks from TJ max or Marshalls or online 'seconds' where I can usually pay 7-10$ish for a good quality pair of wool socks from brands like Smartwool and Darn Tough.  You can find tons of places online that sell cosmetic blemish or 'seconds'. www.wildernessexchangeunlimited.com is usually a good source for me.

If you are truly wearing out your socks that fast than I highly recommend you buy Darn Tough. They have a lifetime warranty on their socks and if you wear out  a pair then you just mail it back to them and they send you a new pair for free. The way it sounds that would save you alot of money. And they are made in Vermont.

95% of the socks I buy are Darn Tough, the other 5% is Smartwool.

10:10 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

TheRambler said:

I buy all my socks from TJ max or Marshalls or online 'seconds' where I can usually pay 7-10$ish for a good quality pair of wool socks from brands like Smartwool and Darn Tough.  You can find tons of places online that sell cosmetic blemish or 'seconds'. www.wildernessexchangeunlimited.com is usually a good source for me.

If you are truly wearing out your socks that fast than I highly recommend you buy Darn Tough. They have a lifetime warranty on their socks and if you wear out  a pair then you just mail it back to them and they send you a new pair for free. The way it sounds that would save you alot of money. And they are made in Vermont.

95% of the socks I buy are Darn Tough, the other 5% is Smartwool.

Thanks for the link.

All the socks I'm wearing out are olderish socks and its only in the heal.  Hd to trim my toe nails as i was wearing them all out in the toes.   As mike said it could be becuase of fit ("boot to large") so only time will tell.  The funny thing is that my new socks are faring much better, havent lost a new pair in the heal yet.  All the socks that are wearing out were from the same place but there are a number of different kinds and thicknesses.  Just kinda odd.

3:26 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

apeman said:

As always I want to save money and must balance value vs. savings. It would be nice to find a quantity discount.

A triangle of business,

Good

Cheap,

Fast.

Pick two, as you never get the third.

I can only imagine wearing someone else's pre-worn socks are already on the way to being worn out

3:29 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
2:56 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,043 forum posts

I am still devoted to wool socks for casual use and day hiking.  For long distance hiking, I have had excellent results with Thorlo socks.  They must be acrylic, but they wick beautifully and really shine in that they hold their shape, and seem impervious to wear.  I have 1,000 miles on a pair and they show no signs of thinning, stiffening, or bulging (unlike my knees).  It's quite amazing - I was used to replacing my wool socks every two weeks during a long hike and these simply haven't needed to be swapped out!

3:02 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

apeman said:

alan said:

Do you have a web site for them by chance?  I really hate going to REI with a passion.  I've been there twice in my life and could only stand being in there for just a few min at a time both times I went.  Besides it takes a full days travel to get there and home.

I second what Bill S said about the Fits Socks x10. They are the best socks I've ever owned. A little pricey, but I get them from Campmor when they are on sale, about $12.- The two pair I bought last year still look new.Factor in how long they should last me and they are not that expensive. Factor in what a pleasure they are to wear and I don't care what they cost.

That said... Can't beat this price.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?cat=29368526&page_size=109&hist=cat%2C29368526%3ASocks&pageSizeRedirect

5:04 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
9:52 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Keep looking at REI's outlet web page and you will eventually turn up something.  The REI brand is similar to the Wigwam brand from what I have seen.

4:31 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

In my country there is a cheap supply from the army surplus depot. Sold at the internet, both used and unused socks and all other stuff. Btw the best winter cap is one from the army. My wife thinks its ugly, but when conditions are tough even she admits this is the best cap.

7:08 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Thorlos and Wigwam are my brands of choice, in that order. I wear hiking boots almost every day, at work, and I have owned pairs of socks from both companies for over 5 years! I recently bought some socks from "The worlds largest outfitter," but I haven't owned them for very long. The jury is still out. Sam's Club socks? Those are for lounging in. They fit loosely, and stretch out as you wear them. I also don't like the toe stitching.

Above posts are correct. Boot fit and toenail trimming are key in preventing premature sock wear. Don't cheap out on socks. Like boots, the less you pay, the less you get. Save the cheap socks to wrap your water/fuel bottle in!

12:51 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have been using an alpaca/wool blend sock from a company called Dahlgren. The model is simply called the "Backpacker."

They offer great resiliency to compression of their loft from days on the trail and durability is just as good as anything I have used in the past. 

If ya look around they can be had fairly cheap when ya take into consideration of what else is out there.

Here is a link for them being sold at STP for 37% off of retail:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dahlgren-alpaca-backpacking-socks-heavyweight-for-men~p~14699/

Granted they are sold out here but this just gives ya an idea of what too look for and a few reviews.

I purchased mine from REI(outlet) at a substantial savings. 

10:18 p.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

OK, So I had to put of my up coming trip to Thailand. The start date will be the 26th Dec. I’m still looking for wool socks. As I will be in a warm climate I'll be looking for something that wicks/breaths well. I just bought some Extreme Weather Series Theralsport by TG. They are 60 % Merino wool, 28% cotton 15% poly, 7 % elastic. Wearing them around the house with no shoes they seem to be really hot and not able to breath well. So After all the suggestions I'm wondering what blend I need. Do they make 100% wool socks these day's. Do I want a blend or pur wool. What is the blend I want? These socks I got were cheapies but still since they are 60 Merino I thought they would breather better than they do?. I'm going to have to make the decision quickly as I leave in 10 days. I don't live close to REI plus I don't like shopping there but will if I'm forced to. What do you think. Thanks everyone!

9:09 a.m. on December 16, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Not surprised you weren't happy with the 28% cotton version. None of the good socks have any cotton at all. Most are 70-78% merino with the remainder being some mix of Nylon or poly along with spandex or some other elastic in small quantities.

I'm tellin ya, your absolutely not going to beat Fits Socks. Never. No way. No how. Isn't going to happen. Can't be done.Try them, you'll send me xmas presents every year for the rest of my life out of shear gratitude...

Curious, why don't you want to shop at REI? Just wondering if it's the same mistake I made for a while, assuming that they are some corporate conglomerate in the evil empire... Their not. Their actually a Coop with their shareholders being their customers/membership. They have a really good ethic and produce some good quality equipment. Their warranty can't be beat either. Imagine that, in this day & age, someone backing up their product.

I had posted the link above to the online outlet store where they had the blemished/seconds. I ordered a bunch at the same time, couldn't beat that price if for nothing else to use as my daily wear socks and keep my Fits in good shape for the trail. I've been wearing them continuously since then and they are really well made, nice socks. Remind me of when smartwool was good quality. Wouldn't be surprised to find out they are made by Cresent (Fits' parent company) for REI. The light hikers should be perfect for your needs, if they still have them.

7:57 a.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

Not surprised you weren't happy with the 28% cotton version. None of the good socks have any cotton at all. Most are 70-78% merino with the remainder being some mix of Nylon or poly along with spandex or some other elastic in small quantities.

I'm tellin ya, your absolutely not going to beat Fits Socks. Never. No way. No how. Isn't going to happen. Can't be done.Try them, you'll send me xmas presents every year for the rest of my life out of shear gratitude...

Curious, why don't you want to shop at REI? Just wondering if it's the same mistake I made for a while, assuming that they are some corporate conglomerate in the evil empire... Their not. Their actually a Coop with their shareholders being their customers/membership. They have a really good ethic and produce some good quality equipment. Their warranty can't be beat either. Imagine that, in this day & age, someone backing up their product.

I had posted the link above to the online outlet store where they had the blemished/seconds. I ordered a bunch at the same time, couldn't beat that price if for nothing else to use as my daily wear socks and keep my Fits in good shape for the trail. I've been wearing them continuously since then and they are really well made, nice socks. Remind me of when smartwool was good quality. Wouldn't be surprised to find out they are made by Cresent (Fits' parent company) for REI. The light hikers should be perfect for your needs, if they still have them.

So this trip has been really hard for me to plan for. To stay on topic I will just deal with sock and boots As most of you know I've been planning a trip to Thailand for two purposes, one is because some friends are going and I want to hang with them. The second is so that I can go catch so some monster fish. Planning for city living/partying/sleeping does not take much preparation,. preparation for both city and fishing takes a lot to time effort and weight. In this instance I’ve been trying to find the perfect wool sock and boot/shoe for the hot, humid climate of Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia. Someone above mentioned that Costco had wool socks so I decided to check them out. They did . Big thick sock that were only 40% wool and other stuff that just would nto work in the hot climate of Thailand, they may have worked for winter but not what I was looking for. Right next to these "men’s" sock were some woman’s socks that are K. Bell crew socks that are soft Merino wool blend. Very thin socks. They are 84% Merino Wool, 15% Nylon, 1% spandex. They cost $11.00 for two pair. Very expensive for me but considering what I've had to go thru to find what I need it'll be worth it. I will be going and buying 10 pairs tomorrow. They are soft, thin, transfer moisture so well that I cannot feel anything and warm. It’s not often that I find a product that I'm this happy with which means that they will stop making them as soon as they find out how much I like them. On a related issue wearing heavy boots in Thailand that will not allow the transfer of moisture will very quickly lead to foot rot. I was at the good will the other day and found a pair of all leather lace up Keens almost new for $6.99 that I have matched up with the sock that will do the job. I don't know how well they will hold up to 5 weeks of a 50 lb. pack but I think that this is the best compromise that I can come up with. I will post pictures of both the socks and the shoes tomorrow. Their socks will also make a great first layer sock or a filler sock if a boot is just slightly to big. Go get some now before they run out. They also have nice colors unlike the ugliness the pervades men’s socks if that's something you care about.

This of cource oculd be strictly advewrtising but they say on the back:

Natural wool antimicrobial odor control

Superior moisture management

Naturally regulates temperature

K. Bell signature flat toe seam

I will still seek out all of yor recomendemendations that you all have give me above for regular winter hiking wool socks but the planing for this trip has been taking up most of my time.

8:09 a.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

"Curious, why don't you want to shop at REI? Just wondering if it's the same mistake I made for a while, assuming that they are some corporate conglomerate in the evil empire... Their not. Their actually a Coop with their shareholders being their customers/membership. They have a really good ethic and produce some good quality equipment. Their warranty can't be beat either. Imagine that, in this day & age, someone backing up their product."

Because even though there a coop there still one the Wal-Marts of of the camping/outdoor gear industry. They have helped drive out all the Quality Mom and Pop outdoor gears stores/shops. I can get all my gear some times new for 1/2 to one 1/3 the price that REI charges. I live a 1/2 days drive to REI which means the other half of the day is driving home. I can buy anything and everything that REI has and have it delivered to my door from others at a much cheaper price. When I go to places like REI I see far to much stuff that I want but don't need and then start buying even more stuff. There are other reasons but I think that covers it. By not going to REI I save a ton of money and it takes no time at all for me to shop and it's delivered to my door. I guess I’m just anti social. ;-}>

2:26 p.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Here are a couple of pictures of the Keens (I don't know the model) that I hope will carrry me thur Thailand for the next 5 weeks.

DSC05272.jpg

These socks are by no means an answer to all wool sock needs but I feel will fit in very nicly for summer hiking and for hiking shoes rather than some of the larger warmer winter boots that we use in colder weather At 84 % wool they wick very, very well for me.  I think the soles on the bottom of thse Keens will serve me well while carrying packs of different weights.  I would not expect them to last any real length of time in real world situations hopfully they will hold up for 5 weeks.

DSC05273.jpg

4:05 p.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hope the Keens hold up for ya. I have not been impressed with their boots. I think they should stick with sandals personally. 

6:02 p.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Hope the Keens hold up for ya. I have not been impressed with their boots. I think they should stick with sandals personally. 

I have no idea what model the Keens these are they seem to be made well. I do not know if these are shoes or boot's. I would put them in the "shoe" category. I'm going with them as I'll be in skeeter country and sandals just seem like a really bad idea. I may take my Keen sandals with me but my pack is up to 50 lbs now.

I'll try and look them up, if anyone know what there are called please feel free to let me know.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply