salopettes

2:50 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
53 reviewer rep
135 forum posts

I've just purchased salopettes. Actually I've purchased a pair of trousers (ok pants) during the winter sales but they didn't have my size so they upgraged it for  salopettes. It's the montane extreme salopettes to be precise i've got them for 100 box shipping and tax included. did anyone used salopettes. are they functionnal? 

ps : I bought them for snowshoeing in canada. 

3:10 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Salopettes work as well as bibs. In fact, different companies seem to use the terms "bibs", "salopette", and "overpants", or even "ski pants" interchangeably. The word "salopette", is the French word for "overalls". They are really intended as an outer layer to be worn over long johns.You need to wear them with a jacket, of course. But my personal preference is a two piece arrangement rather than a one-piece outer shell. As you can see in my avatar, when you are exercising hard (pulling a 60 pound sled of gear and food), you get warm, but still need some waterproof/windproof outer shell on your lower body, or maybe wear the jacket completely unzipped and with the pit zips open. The bibs in the photo are full side zip and can have the legs opened for plenty of ventilation.

Montane makes pretty good stuff. I have one of their eVent hardshells I got on a closeout from Liberty Mountain in SLC a few years ago.

4:05 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
53 reviewer rep
135 forum posts

Bill S said:

Salopettes work as well as bibs. In fact, different companies seem to use the terms "bibs", "salopette", and "overpants", or even "ski pants" interchangeably. The word "salopette", is the French word for "overalls". They are really intended as an outer layer to be worn over long johns.You need to wear them with a jacket, of course. But my personal preference is a two piece arrangement rather than a one-piece outer shell. As you can see in my avatar, when you are exercising hard (pulling a 60 pound sled of gear and food), you get warm, but still need some waterproof/windproof outer shell on your lower body, or maybe wear the jacket completely unzipped and with the pit zips open. The bibs in the photo are full side zip and can have the legs opened for plenty of ventilation.

Montane makes pretty good stuff. I have one of their eVent hardshells I got on a closeout from Liberty Mountain in SLC a few years ago.

Thanks for the answer.

actually, i'm french speaking and salopette means exactly what you can see on the montane extreme salopette pics. it's a trousers +bibs+braces.  Actually the extreme salopette are insulated ad can be worn alone and has plenty of ventilation.  It's a kind of heavy softshell salopette. I was scared it would be overkill 

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply