All weather mobile phones

9:40 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Does anyone know any good reviews of phones that work when it's wet and/or cold without the need for plastic bags?  I found information about the Sonim 3300 force which looks incredibly tough.  It is also expensive and rather large.  I can't find any reviews from someone who has actually bought one and used it and can thus comment without prejudice from a non-commercial viewpoint.

10:20 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,472 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Cold is not a problem for most phones, as long as you carry them in a pocket inside your jacket and use a headset (I use a Jawbone, which is pretty well sealed itself). Several companies make waterproof plastic "bags" for cell phones that work well, if your phone has real buttons or if you use voice commands (my phone has good voice recognition, and I use it in backcountry skiing a lot, at least in areas where there is cell coverage).

10:47 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

If your looking for a really tough and waterproof phone check out the samsung rugby, casio also makes something similar for the verizon network but i forget the name of it G1?

10:11 a.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

TheRambler said:

If your looking for a really tough and waterproof phone check out the samsung rugby, casio also makes something similar for the verizon network but i forget the name of it G1?

Casio GzOne, Ravine 2, Brigade, and Boulder seem to meet your requirements. 

Mind you this is on Verizons network. 

10:53 a.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
94 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I currently have one of the later models of the Casio GzOne. It's kind of ugly and not "smart," but all I really do is call/text and so far it has been bomb proof. I live in the PNW, so I'm VERY familiar with rain. Hasn't had a problem. The LED flashlight it has has been handy more than a few times. 

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply